With an over supply of pharmacist....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fauxden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long do you think it will take for students to blow the floor out of residencies? What I mean is- for a student to walk in to a residency interview and say they will PAY to do the residency? Similar to dentists?

Members don't see this ad.

Pay? Won't happen.

But when 1200 students don't match/scramble, it's a pretty good indication that residency applicants better have a solid back-up plan.
Not to say that supply will equal demand on matching, but new residency programs are coming out of the woodwork like whoa! "Half priced pharmacists, get your half priced pharmacists!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to say that supply will equal demand on matching, but new residency programs are coming out of the woodwork like whoa! "Half priced pharmacists, get your half priced pharmacists!"

My hospital is planning on starting a program in next 3-4 years. I think we will try to get 2 residents before they hire another pharmacist

Well-- think of it this way.... this year 14k more pharmacists that aren't needed are going to graduate. Retail is full. Where do they go next? Residencies... I had this conversation with my dean recently. He is pretty convinced that residencies will no longer be a paid position but will migrate into a "you pay us" situation. Was just curious as to others peoples thoughts. I don't find it too unbelievable. And 1200 grads didn't match this past year? Where can I find the stats on this?

I used to think that way, until I went through it. The disruption to work flow to training new residents yearly, the loss of productivity by the preceptors, and the salary of the residents makes it really not a profitable way to run a pharmacy.

For the first month, we were just 100% liability. Taking up staff's time but can't do squat due to not knowing how to work the computer, machines, layout of the hospital, not to mention not being licensed.

We were not familiar enough with the hospital system to staff independently until November-december. For each rotation, the first week or 2 is pretty much spend on learning it, sucking up preceptor time. Week 3-4 is paying that back, but we were never 100% as productive as a preceptor. Then the cycle repeats again, another month, another area of the hospital. The residency only really comes out ahead when resident did more than 1 month in an area (core + elective) , because you can pretty much run it in month 2-3 and free up the preceptor to do other clinical stuff.

that makes no sense. why would anyone PAY to do a pharmacy residency? this is nothing like dentistry where you learn endo or ortho and practice in that specialty with a billable service.

you arent learning some new technique here. this isnt like compounding certification (which makes more sense).

job >>>> residency