With an MD does the Bschool name matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EastCstBound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a first year med student gearing up to take the GMAT this summer, and in thinking of applying to business school, firstly, my medical school doesn't have a joint program, so I'll have to go somewhere else. There are students who do an MBA here but the other thing is that its a top 10 MBA program and I have very little work experience and probably wouldn't get in on that alone. So for the most part I'm looking for B schools with 1 year programs and I guess I'm really just wondering if the name of the B school matters if you get an MD from a prestigious med school. While the people I'd be exposed to at a non-top 10 will be different, the basic education is the same no?

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on your chances of getting in one place vs another, nor can I say how much ranking plays a role for an MD. I just want to know why you're applying to business school as an M1. Are you planning on taking a year off to pursue your MBA? What do you plan on doing with an MBA?

the education at medical school is much more standardized than at B school. The name on a B school is MORE important that where you get your MD. Hope the GMAT goes well, apply to the best B schools possible with your stats. The MD helps considerably with acceptance to top B schools. Think big and apply to schools that you think may be out of reach based on your stats. Your medical school training counts as work experience. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a first year med student gearing up to take the GMAT this summer, and in thinking of applying to business school, firstly, my medical school doesn't have a joint program, so I'll have to go somewhere else. There are students who do an MBA here but the other thing is that its a top 10 MBA program and I have very little work experience and probably wouldn't get in on that alone. So for the most part I'm looking for B schools with 1 year programs and I guess I'm really just wondering if the name of the B school matters if you get an MD from a prestigious med school. While the people I'd be exposed to at a non-top 10 will be different, the basic education is the same no?

What do you guys think?
Try at your school, they'll be more lenient since you're already there I'm sure. Also it's generally agreed that rotations count as some work experience and I think this is reasonable. Top 10, man I'm jealous, I got rejected from all those med schools even though I only wanted to go bc of their b schools. Top b school education will be a lot more valuable in learning, connections and prestige which does count for something in b schools.

What do you plan on doing with your MBA? MD?
The answer depends on how you answer the questions above, and on your personal preference.

Hey Guys, thanks for all of your responses. Honestly I think its going to take me all of this summer to figure out a reason to go to business school that sounds good enough for one of them to let me in. Two years prior to coming to medical school I worked for a small pharmaceutical consulting company and I always thought it would be nice to be able to approach that line of work with more expertise. And yes I could do this with just an MD, but I think my work would be more meaningful if I knew both the medical and financial perspective. It sort of annoys me when I hear people arguing a point when they don't consider a glaring problem because they've never been exposed to the issues in another field.

Moreover, I am interested in working with clinical research labs dedicated to development of orphan drugs. I've been told that I don't need to go to B school to do what I want to do, but there are plenty of things that I don't need to do, but I ultimately want to do them. I know I could also wait to go through rotations and get my MD and then go, but quite frankly the sooner I get my education the better for me. As a woman I do want to start a family at some point and not have to worry about going back to school while I'm raising kids and trying to hold down a part time job as a clinician. Also, plenty of people take a break from med school to do research or pursue other interests... I would like to get an MBA in that time.. I'm even considering doing a two year program instead of an accelerated one...

I know these reasons don't sound "sexy" enough but I think there is a lot I can learn from fellow classmates at B school that would be worth the money I put in... I took a b school class my first quarter and loved the way the b school kids evaluated things and I think being able to evaluate things in a new light could help me professionally. Anyway.. I'll stop rambling.

All thoughts are appreciated :)

Thanks

ETA: Oh and I do want to be a clinician first and foremost. If I somehow got more involved in business development then I'd still want to work part time at an HMO or something.. but I'm not even sure how realistic that is :-/

To Shredder's point, do a lot of people apply to b school during their 3rd year after they've done rotations? I wonder then when you would go for match interviews...

To Shredder's point, do a lot of people apply to b school during their 3rd year after they've done rotations? I wonder then when you would go for match interviews...

EastCstBound vbmenu_register("postmenu_5151222", true); ,
Just wanted to say I've been admitted to Harvard Business School (no work experience) and am considering applying to their MD program. I had good grades and took all the pre-med classes. Can talk more about business school if you wish (my username @ gmail.com)

I'm about to graduate from Tuck and Dartmouth Med, in the business world, the name of your B school matters MUCH more then the name of your Med school in the Med world.

much much more. go to a top B school.

Thanks guys! Your advice is really helping me focus my efforts... Now to figure out if a 1 year program is as good as a 2 year... thats if I don't get into my schools program.

sorry, should have addressed your other point-

I think a two year program is generally respected more then a 1 year program. This is what most MBAs consider 'normal' and have themselves at the upper echelons of business.

And your consulting experience will be well received, as well as your ideas for combining the degrees. I always tell people, your dreams per-se don't matter as much as the size of your dreams. They want you to be someone with ambition. Thats my experience at least. Definitely check out tuck/dms. DMS is good, but Tuck is freaking awesome.

imho. -o