Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronmexico

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard people say some good things about the programs in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, I dont have a clear picture in my head to differentiate between MCW and U of W; the two sort of ran together in my memory. Is there anyone out there with some impressions or experiences at either one who would like to share his/her thoughts on strengths, reputation, weaknesses etc. of the two programs?

any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both and matched at UW, so I can give you a good overview of what our program is like. I had a pretty positive impression of MCW as well, but I'll leave the details of that program to those more qualified to share them.

The training here is absolutely top notch. The Radiation Oncology Department is very well respected within the hospital and the region. I haven't identified any particular weaknesses in terms of body sites (Peds is kind of hit and miss, but our Children's Hospital is currently under construction, so the numbers will likely rise in a few years). CNS, Thoracic, and Head and Neck are very strong, with Prostate and Breast not far behind. We are very active in cooperative group studies, and have a number of active protocols open in all of the aforementioned sites. We've got a bunch of cool toys (Tomo, dedicated CT/PET, etc.), and are very active procedurally (I've got two HDR's today, prostate implants and APBI are going on all the time).

In terms of reputation, we are usually mentioned on the fringes of the "elite" programs. We don't get the same kind of love that MSKCC, MDACC, JCRT, Mich, Stanford et al. do, but I think practitioners in the field have a tremendous amount of respect for the work we do here. The program is very stable at the top; Drs. Mehta, Harari, and Ritter are not going anywhere soon, and the attending mix is nice with the recent addition of three younger faculty who are fresh from their boards and just outstanding teachers!

We have a busy clinical schedule. I'd estimate we have about 75 people on treatment at any given time, and residents will typically see 10-12 new consults per week. We have morning conferences two days a week that are now run "Cleveland Clinic" style. Everyone prepares for the topic in advance, and one person prepares a "buzzard-style" handout. Let me say this: Cleveland Clinic has IMO an undeserved reputation as a "malignant" program based on the pimping that goes on at their conferences. I attended one on interview, and have now been through about a dozen here, and they are tremendous teaching tools. No one is made to feel bad at these sessions, and you will be amazed at the amount you learn in a very short period of time. There is definitely an expectation here that graduating residents will have an excellent body of knowledge to take with them into practice, and I think it shows when you look at where recent graduates have landed jobs (MDACC, JCRT, MCV, etc.). The faculty are equally supportive of residents going into private practice, as both of our current chiefs will be doing.

The thing which I really love about this program, though, is the atmosphere. Everyone is very friendly and laid back. Residents are on a first name basis with the attendings, the relationship between us and the surgical subspecialties is great; we are considered equals in every regard, even with urology! Madison is a great town (haven't been through a winter yet, though. I'll let you know how that goes...), and the hospital itself is beautiful.

I am happy to entertain any further questions about UW, either on this forum, or on PM. For all the applicants out there, don't let the cold scare you, come check us out!

--BTW, Steph, if you run into Ted Hong over there, let him know the crew here says hello.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pardon the 5+year bump, but I'm on call and had some downtime...

I would have to say that the University of Wisconsin was the most impressive of the 11 programs that I interviewed at last year, for many of the reasons that G'Ville Nole stated above. The residents are an extremely happy group that appear to get along together very well. I was also very impressed by the level of research prowess and projects that the residents had achieved in their first few years (one of them had won a fellowship award/honor of sorts). Furthermore, their department is brand new and comparable to a 4/5 star hotel, simply gorgeous and all of the technology that you could ever want.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Also UW Madison is widely considered the #1 medical physics program, if you are interested in that side of things.

Seemed like a fantastic department clinically and with research, with an equally awesome group of residents and faculty. Any reason why Dr Mehta and Khuntia departed? seemed like a huge part of the department.

Seemed like a fantastic department clinically and with research, with an equally awesome group of residents and faculty. Any reason why Dr Mehta and Khuntia departed? seemed like a huge part of the department.

Let me begin by saying that I am not a resident at the University of Wisconsin and therefore my information is from a friend who is a resident there. Having a friend that is a resident in the program allows me to write what I wrote above pertaining to how happy the residents are with their training and the program (note to all applicants: ALL programs put on their "happy face" on interview day when all of the applicants are present whether they are pleased with their program or not).

Apparently, Dr. Khuntia simply grew tired of the rigors of academia (writing grants, research, less time with family, traveling to give lectures, etc.) and so took a great private practice job in the Bay Area. (http://www.wradonc.com/about.php) In so doing, I am sure that he got an enormous pay raise, more time with his two young children and a nice living situation just north of San Jose.

Dr. Mehta's departure appears to be a little more complicated and multi-factorial. Certainly, the bad press that he received in Madison (http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...cle_6cc459aa-9cb1-11df-a9fb-001cc4c03286.html) over a purported conflict of interest investigation pertaining to Tomotherapy didn't help matters. Also, I believe that his children recently graduated from high school (or maybe college at UW) and so no longer had really strong ties to Madison from a family standpoint. Furthermore, he had been there for 22 years, so it sounds like he was just looking for a new challenge and a change of scenery.

I hope this helps...:)

Last edited:
There have been rumors swirling about the UW program, as well as the fate of Dr. Harari. He has announced to the faculty and residents that he will be staying at the UW. Feel free to PM me if you have further ?'s.