Wireless microphone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Womb Raider

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea where I could find a wireless mic to use for dictation? I tend to bend forward when I dictate and it’s a hard habit to break. I change computers a lot so something with a usb dongle that instantly connects (like all the wireless mice) would be nice. Maybe a clip on to my collar. Open to suggestions. Still plan on using the dictataphone in my left hand, just not the mic on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Have wondered the same. Dictaphone feels like an outdated piece of equipment. I never use the buttons besides the push to talk button anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
The main thing to look for when selecting a wireless mic is the battery time. You don't want to have to charge it in the middle of your shift or be unable to tether to a cord.

Members don't see this ad :)
G604 plus powermic holder with hotkeys or g604 plus headset like Jabra.

Tons of options and I think there are some AM threads on it.

Are there any options to *not* have to push-to-talk, so both hands can be free when dictating?

Are there any options to *not* have to push-to-talk, so both hands can be free when dictating?
There are several work-arounds. First and foremost change your mic switch to a deadman switch so you aren't holding it down to activate the mic each time. This is a power scribe setting. Second, use a keyboard or mouse shortcut for mic activation instead of the button on the mic. Then either find a holder for the standard mic at your workstations so it stays in front of your face, use a mic podcasters use or use a headset.

So now you aren't holding the mic, you aren't clicking the active mic button over and over, and you aren't even using any shortcuts on the mic because you set the ones you use to a keyboard or mouse shortcut.

This should get you started.

Foot pedal - 3 buttons for dictate, field forward, field back, which are all the buttons I use on the Powermic anyway.
Amazon product

Importantly, this pedal is plug and play, so it works on work computers that are locked down / unable to install drivers.

Importantly, this pedal functions as global hot keys, so it activates dictate even when Powerscribe is not the window in focus (eg, you are clicking on the PACS). You don't get this with keyboard/mic shortcuts unless you install a program for global hotkey, which again may or may not be accomplishable on work computers.

At home I use the foot pedal and put a podcast mic or the powermic on an adjustable cellphone holder clamped to the desk.

One caveat I have noticed is that if you are wearing shoes and standing/shifting constantly, you may accidentally hit the wrong button. So it's best for sitting and/or not wearing shoes so as to able to feel the pedal with your foot.

Reactions: 2 users
Foot pedal - 3 buttons for dictate, field forward, field back, which are all the buttons I use on the Powermic anyway.
Amazon product

Importantly, this pedal is plug and play, so it works on work computers that are locked down / unable to install drivers.

Importantly, this pedal functions as global hot keys, so it activates dictate even when Powerscribe is not the window in focus (eg, you are clicking on the PACS). You don't get this with keyboard/mic shortcuts unless you install a program for global hotkey, which again may or may not be accomplishable on work computers.

At home I use the foot pedal and put a podcast mic or the powermic on an adjustable cellphone holder clamped to the desk.

One caveat I have noticed is that if you are wearing shoes and standing/shifting constantly, you may accidentally hit the wrong button. So it's best for sitting and/or not wearing shoes so as to able to feel the pedal with your foot.

I love how shoes are optional in Rads 😆