Winston-Salem State University Supplemental Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedHeadOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who is applying to Winston-Salem State University knows what the supplemental application is?

On the admissions and applications page of the school's website it says, in addition to OTCAS "applicants must also complete the WSSU online graduate application and submit the required $50.00 fee. This ensures that all of the required security questions are completed prior to admissions decisions being made. No recommendations or essay for this application is required (only through OTCAS)."

In the admissions FAQs it says, "The OT Program uses the OTCAS application. In addition, students also must complete certain security questions (referred to as a supplemental application) and pay a separate fee to WSSU." There is a link on the right side of the admissions and applications page for the "WSSU Security Questions." This link opens up a different page than the WSSU online graduate school application.

I guess I'm just confused at to whether the security question alone are the supplemental application, or if the entire WSSU online graduate application is the supplemental application. (FYI, the graduate school application does have security questions.) I have called the school, but the lady who answered did not seem to know, and the other two people have not yet returned my call.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, the supplemental application is in place to ask about any crimes/criminal background. I'm applying here also. I don't THINK you have to fill out the graduate application, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is going on! I went to an info session at WSSU last week and when this was brought up they seemed not be certain, like something had changed recently in the process.

Are you a NC resident? Just curious!

No, I'm not an NC resident. Not sure how many out-of-state applicants they accept, but fingers crossed.

When I called, the lady that answered seemed confused also, like she didn't really know the answer. That's weird that they didn't clarify during the info session.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was having the same issue, I could not get into the Grad application. I called and asked them about it and they said "There were a number of other issues and inaccuracies on the WSSU grad application (for OT) so my understanding is that they have taken the application down until they can fix those and we are hearing it may be 2-3 weeks before it goes back up. So if you try and it won't let you access it that is why." That was on the 29th of August.

I just contacted the school and was told that I did NOT need to complete the WSSU graduate application. I was told that the supplemental application is a one-page sheet that needs to be submitted with the $50 nonrefundable check.I was not given the URL of where to find this page (just told you can find it on the website), but she did say the bottom of the form should tell you to send the sheet along with the $50 check and that the form should have security questions.

My guess is that the form is found here:
http://www.wssu.edu/school-health-s...py/media/docs/pdf/security-questions-2013.pdf

I will be double checking this information in a couple days once they receive this page to see if this form is in fact what they need, because I feel like this supplemental process has not been clear and I don't want to make any mistakes.

Also, they said they do not need transcripts until you are admitted. They only need you OTCAS app, GRE scores, and the supplemental form/check. Does that sound correct to everyone or is there something else I'm forgetting?

I just contacted the school and was told that I did NOT need to complete the WSSU graduate application. I was told that the supplemental application is a one-page sheet that needs to be submitted with the $50 nonrefundable check.I was not given the URL of where to find this page (just told you can find it on the website), but she did say the bottom of the form should tell you to send the sheet along with the $50 check and that the form should have security questions.

My guess is that the form is found here:
http://www.wssu.edu/school-health-s...py/media/docs/pdf/security-questions-2013.pdf

I will be double checking this information in a couple days once they receive this page to see if this form is in fact what they need, because I feel like this supplemental process has not been clear and I don't want to make any mistakes.

Also, they said they do not need transcripts until you are admitted. They only need you OTCAS app, GRE scores, and the supplemental form/check. Does that sound correct to everyone or is there something else I'm forgetting?

That's strange. I was told that I would have to fill out the graduate application. When did you talk to them?

I posted this within an hour of talking to them... That would mean I talked to them the morning of the 6th.

I posted this within an hour of talking to them... That would mean I talked to them the morning of the 6th.

I was also told to complete the graduate application and copy information such as the essay from otcas into the grad application. The woman I spoke with said that the OT dept does not actually see the grad app for the school, only the otcas app. Hmmmm!

Dang! Now I'm really confused about what needs to be submitted in addition to the OTCAS application.

[EDIT]
I just got an email from the school that said, "the Winston-Salem State University Admission's Department will require that a WSSU graduate online application as well as a $50.00 application fee be submitted...at this time, we have been notified the WSSU graduate online application for MSOT is not available."

Last edited:
Just wanted to update that WSSU has started sending out acceptances. My spouse received an acceptance earlier this week, which is a relief after several waitlists last cycle! :clap: Good luck to the rest of you.

Just wanted to update that WSSU has started sending out acceptances. My spouse received an acceptance earlier this week, which is a relief after several waitlists last cycle! :clap: Good luck to the rest of you.
How did he get it? Mail or email? Or phone? Thanks and congrats to your spouse!

How did he get it? Mail or email? Or phone?

They sent him an email on Tuesday. It was a very nice surprise, especially since an earlier update email noted that they expected to take three to four weeks or more to process the applications. I'm not sure if being a reapplicant (he was waitlisted last year) helped speed up the review in any way or not, though.

They sent him an email on Tuesday. It was a very nice surprise, especially since an earlier update email noted that they expected to take three to four weeks or more to process the applications. I'm not sure if being a reapplicant (he was waitlisted last year) helped speed up the review in any way or not, though.
Ok thanks!

They sent him an email on Tuesday. It was a very nice surprise, especially since an earlier update email noted that they expected to take three to four weeks or more to process the applications. I'm not sure if being a reapplicant (he was waitlisted last year) helped speed up the review in any

Oops! My question is the same as amaleigh84.

Last edited:
OTprospect85, I see you quoted me, but your post is blank. Not sure if you had a question about my post or not, but just let me know.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to your spouse! Would you mind sharing his GPA, GRE, Observation hrs...and all other pertinent stats?

Hey! I got into the Winston Salem program and was notified the end of January! I had a cumulative GPA of 3.6, 120 hours of observation in four different settings, I had a pre-req GPA of 3.75, and I graduated with my bachelors over a year ago and have been working at a facility with children with special needs. If you have any other questions I would love to be a resource. I think what really helped me stand out was my passion for wanting to be an occupational therapist is to serve the community especially low income places. I know Winston Salem as a university has a passion for service and seeks students who have a similar passion. I really spoke about that in my personal statement! If you have any other questions I would love to be a resource!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I got into the Winston Salem program and was notified the end of January! I had a cumulative GPA of 3.6, 120 hours of observation in four different settings, I had a pre-req GPA of 3.75, and I graduated with my bachelors over a year ago and have been working at a facility with children with special needs. If you have any other questions I would love to be a resource. I think what really helped me stand out was my passion for wanting to be an occupational therapist is to serve the community especially low income places. I know Winston Salem as a university has a passion for service and seeks students who have a similar passion. I really spoke about that in my personal statement! If you have any other questions I would love to be a resource!

MarieOT, could I private message you?! I have a few specific questions.