Window period for step 2 + MATCH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon-y-mouse

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my residents was telling me that there's a period of time where you can take step 2CK + 2CS where you can say "do not submit step 2 scores" and if you were happy with your scores, you can release them. If I take it before this period, my scores will automatically be sent no matter what. If I take it after this period, it won't have any effect on my chances for matching.

When is this period?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no "window period" - it's an option you have to select when you release your USMLE transcript in your initial application. You can choose to have your USMLE transcript automatically updated or to require it to be "re-released" by you. You can not change that option once you have made the initial selection in ERAS.

To clarify, what the above poster said is correct, but if you had taken Step II prior to submitting your application, then that initial USMLE Transcript would've had your Step II score on it, whether you wanted it or not. If you take Step II after that initial transcript is released, then the auto-submission choice on the ERAS application applies. So most people who got a good Step I score will either tell you not to take Step II until late in the year, or at least wait until after Sep 2nd to take it, and choose not to auto-release in ERAS. I think that's the "window" period you're referring to.

HamOn

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters. The key is to submit your application BEFORE taking Step 2 and to choose the option to not automatically update schools with any new Step scores. If you allow the automatic update, residency programs will actually find out any new Step scores before you find out yourself!

I agree with the above posters. The key is to submit your application BEFORE taking Step 2 and to choose the option to not automatically update schools with any new Step scores. If you allow the automatic update, residency programs will actually find out any new Step scores before you find out yourself!

Thank you for the clarification, everyone! It makes sense now.

Good score on step 1 => Apply to ERAS (BEFORE TAKING STEP 2) => choose "do not automatically update" => Take Step 2's => Release if they're any good.

Questions:
When do you submit ERAS by?
When is the last meaningful date you can take your Step 2, get your scores, and *optionally* submit them so that residencies will still consider it if you kick ass on them?

I guess the interval between those dates is a 'de facto' window period... if you're doing the whole 'do not automatically update' option.

Do residencies see that you've selected the 'do not automatically update option'--> does this weigh against an applicant? I mean, it definitely looks bad if someone didn't waive their right to see their rec letters, etc.

Do residencies see that you've selected the 'do not automatically update option'--> does this weigh against an applicant? I mean, it definitely looks bad if someone didn't waive their right to see their rec letters, etc.

I've asked a lot of people that question, and keep getting vague answers. Ultimately the consensus has been: if you did good on Step I, don't even take it until after interview season. I straight up asked a PD if it looked bad to take and not release your Step II score, or if he even had access to that information, and he just gave the same vague "you should really wait to take it" answer. Take from that what you will.

HamOn

If you have the option of waiting until after interview season to take Step 2, that's probably best. My school requires students to take Step 2 by December, so I really have no other option but to withhold my score. Most people in my class are withholding, so I imagine that it can't be too much of a detriment, if any.

Tiny detail - you can take Step II before you submit ERAS, you just can't have a score available.

So for anyone who finds this thread next year, you could probably take it as early as a week before Sept. 1 and still have the withhold option.

Do some people just take step 2 after 3rd year especially if they end the year with IM and feel ready? I understand the worry about not doing well, but if you scored 35+ on the MCAT, 250+ on step I, and haven't bombed any shelf exams that raise red flags, shouldn't you just man up and take it since you are likely going to score 250+ on step 2 also? I understand the strategy if there are some circumstances during 3rd year that make success on step 2 unlikely, but otherwise, what's with the fear?

I was planning to take step 2 soon after 2nd year ends, but it seems like that isn't the general advice around here if you did well on step I.

I understand the strategy if there are some circumstances during 3rd year that make success on step 2 unlikely, but otherwise, what's with the fear?

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

I agree. There is almost zero upside to taking Step II early, outside of maaaybe scraping a few points higher if you take it in June instead of September ors omething.

I understand the worry about not doing well, but if you scored 35+ on the MCAT, 250+ on step I, and haven't bombed any shelf exams that raise red flags, shouldn't you just man up and take it since you are likely going to score 250+ on step 2 also?

What if the testing center computer flakes out, or what if you get diarrhea during the exam? How would you like your career to depend on what you had for dinner the night before you took Step II? Unless you think you can just man up and hold it. IBS is a tough sell at interviews.

HamOn

Questions:
When do you submit ERAS by?
When is the last meaningful date you can take your Step 2, get your scores, and *optionally* submit them so that residencies will still consider it if you kick ass on them?

ERAS "opens" in early September (this year 9/2) and programs must have their match lists finalized by the end of January. So I'd guess receiving Step 2 scores during some interval between those dates would be your window.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tiny detail - you can take Step II before you submit ERAS, you just can't have a score available.

So for anyone who finds this thread next year, you could probably take it as early as a week before Sept. 1 and still have the withhold option.

It took 6 weeks for Step 1 scores to come back. How long does it take for step 2? Conceivably I could even risk it and take it 2 weeks before and still say "do not automatically update" and it would still be fine.

ERAS opens 9/2, and I intend to choose the 'withhold' option. However, as I understood, ERAS keeps getting constantly updated with new LOR's, MSPE's, etc. etc. Am I correct in assuming that whatever you choose for the initial 'withhold' option remains firm, despite the fact that ERAS is constantly getting updated?

Also, say I receive my score in October/November. Is it trivial to release them? i.e. log on, click 'release', and that's it?

Do some people just take step 2 after 3rd year especially if they end the year with IM and feel ready? I understand the worry about not doing well, but if you scored 35+ on the MCAT, 250+ on step I, and haven't bombed any shelf exams that raise red flags, shouldn't you just man up and take it since you are likely going to score 250+ on step 2 also? I understand the strategy if there are some circumstances during 3rd year that make success on step 2 unlikely, but otherwise, what's with the fear?

I was planning to take step 2 soon after 2nd year ends, but it seems like that isn't the general advice around here if you did well on step I.

Are you joking? Clearly this is about avoiding any and every risk to one's future life and career. I am sure all of us have heard of testing circumstances which could compromise one's score during test day. If I can avoid it without any repercussions, I am certainly not going to "man up" for the sake of bravado, because that is the most foolish and ******ed thing ever.

It took 6 weeks for Step 1 scores to come back. How long does it take for step 2? Conceivably I could even risk it and take it 2 weeks before and still say "do not automatically update" and it would still be fine.

ERAS opens 9/2, and I intend to choose the 'withhold' option. However, as I understood, ERAS keeps getting constantly updated with new LOR's, MSPE's, etc. etc. Am I correct in assuming that whatever you choose for the initial 'withhold' option remains firm, despite the fact that ERAS is constantly getting updated?

Also, say I receive my score in October/November. Is it trivial to release them? i.e. log on, click 'release', and that's it?

I got my Step 2 scores in 3 weeks.

It will not send the updated scores without your input. I didn't do it myself (my school forced us to take Step II early) but I hear it's very straightforward with a few clicks.

programs must have their match lists finalized by the end of January.

Is this true?

So if we want to have the ability to send our scores in by the time they make their rank lists we need to take it by mid December?

Programs need to finalize the number of positions they are filling in the match by the end of January. They have to finalize their rank lists by the end of February - the same day applicants do.

Link: http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/yearly.html

It's not about fear, it's about wasted time. If you just need to pass step 2 then you can take a light rotation, crack some books for a week or two and take care of business. If you need to get a 250 on it you better block actual time off of rotations to sit down and seriously study for a couple of weeks. Given that you apparently don't NEED to do the latter, why the hell would you?

Question for you all.....sort of related to this thread. I did a search, but couldn't find the answer.

Do most/any residency programs require passing scores on Step 2 CK or Step 2 CS before ranking a candidate? I am taking CK in December (our school requires it). I am trying to take CS in February (our school also requires this), but can't find any open dates anywhere in the country (so frustrating). I have scheduled it for March 30th, and will explain the situation to my school, but does anyone know if residencies want to see a passing Step 2 CS prior to ranking?

THANKS so much!!!!!
KC

I hear this advice a lot, but I don't understand how it changes much of anything. I was under the impression (perhaps wrong) that most programs will interview you but won't rank you on their match list until they have seen your Step 2 scores. If you're not satisfied w/ your scores, you can't retake them unless you fail anyway (which would not be good either). It seems like holding the step 2's only delays the inevitable of what would have been decided if you had sent them right when they came (except for maybe getting an extra interview invite or two just to get rejected if your step 2 really is that bad). Plus if you really did have some horrible circumstance wouldn't you want the opportunity in the interview to address what happened rather than interview beforehand and have them get your horrible scores (if there was some sort of disaster) later w/o an explanation and just rank you lower because of them? What am I missing here? I was going to take my Step 2 in July when I had off so I have the beginning of 4th year to focus solely on doing really well on my acting internships. Is this a bad approach? I think our school might require us to take it before a certain date anyway so I'll have to check on that. Thanks!

Last edited:
Step 2 CK I get it (that schools would want to see), but I've heard (today) that Step 2 CS is not necessary to be ranked (as a US grad)? Ideas? Plus, Step 2 CK way easier to schedule. Having much difficulty getting a date for CS......any thoughts appreciated.

Step 2 CK I get it (that schools would want to see), but I've heard (today) that Step 2 CS is not necessary to be ranked (as a US grad)? Ideas? Plus, Step 2 CK way easier to schedule. Having much difficulty getting a date for CS......any thoughts appreciated.
I've been advised to register for CS a year in advance, so that's what I'm doing. I think you're right that you don't need it to be ranked, though. At least I've never heard from any PD whom I've asked that you need it, so if someone has heard otherwise, feel free to correct me.

To everyone trying to figure out when to take CK: make sure the programs you plan to apply to don't require a CK score before they'll invite you. At least some programs in some specialties do want your CK score. I have a different opinion than a lot of people do; my take is that if even one program you might want to apply to requires CK, it's worth taking it early and keeping your options open. All of this angling and trying to beat the system so you don't have to study for a couple of weeks is silly if it means you can't be eligible for a program you might want. I think two weeks of studying in exchange for 3-4 years where I want to be is a pretty darn good trade. Plus, if you did well on Step 1, you will probably do well on Step 2 also, assuming that you don't just blow it off.

make sure the programs you plan to apply to don't require a CK score before they'll invite you. At least some programs in some specialties do want your CK score.

Which programs? Which specialties? I had never heard of this.

ps q- what do you want to go into? :) PM me if you don't want to make it public? I feel a strange bond with you since we went through apps, MCATs, etc. together ;) even though now you've contributed a bazillion more posts on SDN than I have.

I recalled this thread when thinking about taking Step 2 CK early in 4th year, and it seemed like most people (i.e. everyone but me) believe that taking step 2 ck early is a dumb idea. For everyone who scored 240+ on step 1 and who is taking CK now or has taken it recently, why did you decide to take it early?

For me it just seemed like the easier thing to do. I didn't need to take vacation because the material was already fresh in my mind from 3rd year and I just did some review with UW and various reading while doing an elective. Don't have a score back yet, but am glad I got it out of the way early to enjoy 4th year.

I recalled this thread when thinking about taking Step 2 CK early in 4th year, and it seemed like most people (i.e. everyone but me) believe that taking step 2 ck early is a dumb idea. For everyone who scored 240+ on step 1 and who is taking CK now or has taken it recently, why did you decide to take it early?

For me it just seemed like the easier thing to do. I didn't need to take vacation because the material was already fresh in my mind from 3rd year and I just did some review with UW and various reading while doing an elective. Don't have a score back yet, but am glad I got it out of the way early to enjoy 4th year.

I was also happy with my step 1 score and I decided to take CK early (July 10) to get it out of the way and figured 3 months of ortho would not help me do any better. I took a month off to study to make sure I did well. Also there are some programs that require/strongly recommend taking CK before they interview and that some programs are starting to weigh it more than they did previously so I figured I had to do well on it whenever I took the test anyway so figured taking it earlier afforded me a better shot to do well since I had time to take a vacation block and had just recently finished my 3rd year rotations. I'm happy to be done with it and happy with my score (250).

I guess the biggest argument for taking it late is what if i don't do as well on it as you wanted and costing yourself interviews. But most people will probably do the same (my score was within 3 points of my step 1 score) as long as you studied during 3rd year and did pretty decent on your shelf exams.