William Carey University (WCUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any news regarding interviews and acceptances? Been a little quiet as of late...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Waiting to hear from Dr Weir today. Anyone know what time they will call? Trying and failing to stay calm :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting to hear from Dr Weir today. Anyone know what time they will call? Trying and failing to stay calm :)
I waited for a week after he said they would contact me and finally decided to just call myself. It was a great decision for me! This was back in October, by the way.

I waited for a week after he said they would contact me and finally decided to just call myself. It was a great decision for me! This was back in October, by the way.
Ok thanks for the advice. I will call this afternoon if I don't hear anything by then.

I know what you mean haha. That's how it was for me and all of my interviews, having to patiently wait for such an important decision.

As I wait for the decision, I'm curious. Has anyone been accepted after they have been deferred?

As I wait for the decision, I'm curious. Has anyone been accepted after they have been deferred?
When I visited for my interview I talked to many students who were accepted off of the wait list.

I did hear from Dr. Turner, the Dean, and he did call me twice because they had my number written down for another person as well. I would call first thing Monday to be sure it wasn't a mix up with you! :]] Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news of the Residency Match this year?

Out of curiosity, can anyone divulge how many are on the new Facebook page for the upcoming class?

Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted so far. Sorry for the lull in activity, this semester started off quickly and we're into the 1st block of exams. I'll try to accurately answer any questions that I am able to get the information.
What percentage of the first year class matched prior to scrambling?
98.6% matched 1st time for AOA and ACGME combined. 2 Students had to scramble/SOAP. 1 got a residency, unfortunately the other one didn't finish.

Any news of the Residency Match this year?
Nothing complete yet, I'll update as soon as all the numbers are in.

Out of curiosity, can anyone divulge how many are on the new Facebook page for the upcoming class?
There are currently 30 invited so far.

Hi. Does anybody know whether the admission office has called anybody after mid- December 2014 for an interview.
I have submitted my secondary near thanksgiving but haven't received any information after that. Thank you.
I spoke with Dr. Weir last week, they should be reviewing applications for interviews and making calls soon.

I hope this answers some of your questions, feel free to PM me or post here if you need further, I'll do what I can to get your questions answered.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok got the secondary today. Just to be clear, we must submit 3 letters of recommendation in total? On their website it says that we need 2 science faculty letters OR a premedical committee letter. But on the secondary it says to have a physician letter, science faculty letter, and a premedical committee letter. I have a D.O. letter and a premedical committee letter already.

Is there a facebook page for those accepted? I accepted a spot in December but just now got around to thinking about FB.

Ok got the secondary today. Just to be clear, we must submit 3 letters of recommendation in total? On their website it says that we need 2 science faculty letters OR a premedical committee letter. But on the secondary it says to have a physician letter, science faculty letter, and a premedical committee letter. I have a D.O. letter and a premedical committee letter already.
When did you send your primary? I sent mine in late November with no response since then.

Can someone who has sent off the secondary clear up the letter of recommendation confusion I have?

I think so, although now that I think about it a mentor of mine took it upon himself to independently send a letter on my behalf. I am no expert but I expect if you call the admissions committee they will let you know. I tried to send more than the required amount of letters to all my schools. If you have three, then go ahead and send three.

Is there a facebook page for those accepted? I accepted a spot in December but just now got around to thinking about FB.
There is, as soon as the FB person for the Welcoming Committee gets your name from Mrs. Donna, They will send you an invite. The emails go to whatever address you put on your application

I think so, although now that I think about it a mentor of mine took it upon himself to independently send a letter on my behalf. I am no expert but I expect if you call the admissions committee they will let you know. I tried to send more than the required amount of letters to all my schools. If you have three, then go ahead and send three.

Yea I only have two right now. I emailed them a little while ago. May not get a reply until tomorrow which is ok.

There is, as soon as the FB person for the Welcoming Committee gets your name from Mrs. Donna, They will send you an invite. The emails go to whatever address you put on your application

I'll keep an eye out but I have not seen anything yet. Thanks for letting me know. As soon as I posted I saw something to that effect earlier in the thread.

When they invite you for interview do they call you on your phone or email you? Thanks.

Only 32 out of the 53 people matched from WCUCOM on Monday. That is horrendous.
Last AOA match(2014) WCUCOM had 37 of 58 match. After the scramble 54 of the 58 found a spot.

IMO doesn't seem too bad considering the
First time pass rate for comlex one

class of 2014- 73%
class of 2015- 76%
class of 2016 - rumored around 88%

Last edited:
98.6% matched 1st time for AOA and ACGME combined. 2 Students had to scramble/SOAP. 1 got a residency, unfortunately the other one didn't finish.

Just to clarify, you're stating that the first WCU-COM class that participated match 98.6% of its eligible students before the scramble/soap? Because this is a significantly different (almost double) number than what was given to me by my two friends there, a 2nd and 3rd year.

Only 32 out of the 53 people matched from WCUCOM on Monday. That is horrendous.
Having a low number of students match AOA is actually a good thing.

But 53 people? How big is WCU's class? I thought it was closer to 100. Perhaps 53 is the number of students who ranked programs in the AOA match.

Last edited:
Having a low number of students match AOA is actually a good thing.

But 53 people? How big is WCU's class? I thought it was closer to 100. Perhaps 53 is the number of students who ranked programs in the AOA match.
The class sizes are around 100, 53 is the amount that participated in the AOA match.

Just to clarify, you're stating that the first WCU-COM class that participated match 98.6% of its eligible students before the scramble/soap? Because this is a significantly different (almost double) number than what was given to me by my two friends there, a 2nd and 3rd year.

That is correct. Those are the numbers I confirmed with 2 different members of administration-1 who is directly involved with the process.

That is correct. Those are the numbers I confirmed with 2 different members of administration-1 who is directly involved with the process.
Although that doesn't match up with what the students said, that's pretty impressive given the god awful step 1 pass rate the first (and second) year had.

The class sizes are around 100, 53 is the amount that participated in the AOA match.

I figured as much. Given that LSU and Jackson are in close proximity it makes sense that many of them try their luck there. LSU is pretty DO friendly despite what their students will tell you. They have DO's in almost every program except the heavy hitters, and EM - which LSU is nationally known for having a pretty strong program.

I figured as much. Given that LSU and Jackson are in close proximity it makes sense that many of them try their luck there. LSU is pretty DO friendly despite what their students will tell you. They have DO's in almost every program except the heavy hitters, and EM - which LSU is nationally known for having a pretty strong program.

LSU's EM programs are interesting when it comes to DO's. New Orleans doesn't currently have any, DO's can't even do 4th year rotations there. But, the Baton Rouge EM program is extremely DO (and Carib) friendly. One of our current 4th years just got off a rotation there. Shreveport doesn't have any either.

Baton Rouge was at the top of my list until they closed the old, state-run hospital and joined forces with another local hospital. One of the ED's that had also been a rotation site is closing in about 30 days. New Program Director came in, and conveniently non-renewed the contracts of the attendings from the old facility. (Most had been in EM for 10+ years, a couple had been in it since EM gained acceptance as a specialty.)

Does anyone know at what point WCUCOM pulls from the wait list? Also, how many are currently on the FB page for class of 2019? We all know how horridly awful this waiting is!!!!!

Does anyone know at what point WCUCOM pulls from the wait list? Also, how many are currently on the FB page for class of 2019? We all know how horridly awful this waiting is!!!!!
I would imagine that they pull them off of the waitlist up until the first week of school. I've been invited to the Facebook page via email, but don't have a Facebook account.

Hi, Is the wait list for the interview or after the interview for the acceptance?? Thanks.

They will pull from the waitlist all the way up to the 1st week of class, and they will accept students all the way to the last interview (I was in the next to last, all 5 of us got accepted) There are only 30 on the facebook page so far.

Did anybody got an interview call after December 2014? Anybody giving interview on March 16, 2015?