William Carey University (WCUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just thought I'd throw another positive on this forum, rumor has it that WCUCOM's Comlex 1 first time pass rate has jumped from 76% to around 88% for the current 3rd years.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to all those receiving acceptances and interview invites. To those not yet in the loop keep hopeful. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. I am a current first year and happy (and proud) to be at WCUCOM. I'm willing to give you the pros/cons to help make your decisions along the way. Post or message and I am happy to reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoyed wcu. We shall see how the rest of this cycle shakes out but it looks like wcu is at least gonna get my deposit.

All of you that are interviewing should consider contacting current students above the first year class that are not on the welcoming committee ask their honest opinion of wcucom there are so many problems from the top down that should be fixed wcucom is great during interviews but thats all you see is a mask of happy students and not what is really going on

All of you that are interviewing should consider contacting current students above the first year class that are not on the welcoming committee ask their honest opinion of wcucom there are so many problems from the top down that should be fixed wcucom is great during interviews but thats all you see is a mask of happy students and not what is really going on
So what has made you feel that WCU isn't so good? Is there anything in specific? What would you like to see changed?

So what has made you feel that WCU isn't so good? Is there anything in specific? What would you like to see changed?

Ive already said more than id like to I dont want to be branded as some random disgruntled student Im just trying to encourage applicants to really research this school from current students perspective usually students will fluff this place because they are making the best out of a bad situation but if you ask them for the real experience they may tell you this place is so far from being a decent place for an education and the administration has zero idea how to make it better just talk to current students above first year because first years just don't know yet it's too early for them

Are you a current student? A second year? I'm very interested to hear your thoughts. You keep making ambiguous statements while claiming that you don't want to be labeled as a disgruntled student. What evidence do you have that prospective students should know?
This. If ya feel like you can't talk openly just pm us but it just seems like empty comments so far

I really enjoyed wcu. We shall see how the rest of this cycle shakes out but it looks like wcu is at least gonna get my deposit.
How did they inform you that you were selected? Phone call or snail mail?

Med school is tough. Bottom line, it's a lot of suffering. I'm a current first year and there's nothing going on at Wm Carey that's different from any other school, or any other station in life. We have teachers that educate in a manner that works well with my personal style, and others that don't. But it's just that, my personal take. Regardless of my feelings, all have been more than fair. I have not had a single exam this year I felt was impossible to get an A on. There have been no surprises or "unfair exams".

Every hospital in America is full of people haunting the water cooler telling anyone who will listen how they could run the facility better than management. No different than anonymous students, probably with zero mgmt experience, thinking they are more qualified than staff to run a 20 million dollar operation. If there is somebody lurking on this board more qualified to run the school than Dr. Weir and Dean Turner, both of whom are fine gentleman, they should quit medical school post haste and follow their true calling. Fortunately for you, the prospective student, you will more than likely meet one or perhaps both of them during your interview process. You will then be able to make an informed decision regarding their character and abilities on your own.

I'm not on the welcoming committee and I'm proud to say I'm a student here. I'll be happy to answer any questions, and/or get you in touch with other students not on the welcoming committee. I'm not even sure what was meant by truth tellers committee comment. A) I'm pretty sure committee members don't attend "WCUCOM Brainwashing" seminars, and B) 90% of the people interviewees meet at "lunch" are just random students who happen to be in the lobby then. Usually they are there to snag some free food, not to perpetuate some nefarious plot and trick the unsuspecting into enrolling.

Good luck to all the applicants!

Reactions: 2 users
Med school is tough. Bottom line, it's a lot of suffering. I'm a current first year and there's nothing going on at Wm Carey that's different from any other school, or any other station in life. We have teachers that educate in a manner that works well with my personal style, and others that don't. But it's just that, my personal take. Regardless of my feelings, all have been more than fair. I have not had a single exam this year I felt was impossible to get an A on. There have been no surprises or "unfair exams".

Every hospital in America is full of people haunting the water cooler telling anyone who will listen how they could run the facility better than management. No different than anonymous students, probably with zero mgmt experience, thinking they are more qualified than staff to run a 20 million dollar operation. If there is somebody lurking on this board more qualified to run the school than Dr. Weir and Dean Turner, both of whom are fine gentleman, they should quit medical school post haste and follow their true calling. Fortunately for you, the prospective student, you will more than likely meet one or perhaps both of them during your interview process. You will then be able to make an informed decision regarding their character and abilities on your own.

I'm not on the welcoming committee and I'm proud to say I'm a student here. I'll be happy to answer any questions, and/or get you in touch with other students not on the welcoming committee. I'm not even sure what was meant by truth tellers committee comment. A) I'm pretty sure committee members don't attend "WCUCOM Brainwashing" seminars, and B) 90% of the people interviewees meet at "lunch" are just random students who happen to be in the lobby then. Usually they are there to snag some free food, not to perpetuate some nefarious plot and trick the unsuspecting into enrolling.

Good luck to all the applicants!

I agree with you on the most part. If Truth has any specific objections I would like to hear that otherwise its just static

My 2 cents on the truth teller/ FLN discussion:

I'm not on a committee (don't have the time) but I like to give an honest perspective because that is what I wanted when I was applying. After all, it is most likely on of the most important decisions you have made to this point in your life.

I'm on board with FLN; med school is way more demanding than I expected. It's humbling, frustrating and exhausting all at the same time. That said if it were easy everyone would be a doctor.

I could understand an objection to a mandatory attendance policy if you are a self-learner. I lean towards a self-learning style and do wish at times I had more free study time and less in class learning. I also have some other first year friends at MD schools who complain about not having enough class time as they are often required to watch lectures on their own time. Regardless of the school, there are both happy and (at least a few) disgruntled people.

In my utopian version of med school there would be less mandated time in class and more emphasis in some areas of study and less emphasis in others. Then again, I would make an A on every test studying only 1-2 hours per day, take the weekends off, sleep 8-9 hours every night and ultimately crush both the COMLEX and USMLE without any additional study.

When this magical school appears from the ether, I will transfer. Until that time, I am happy to be here and grind it out with the other sleep deprived zombies.

In all seriousness, this is a very important decision. Explore all your options and choose what works best for you. I can tell you that you are unlikely to encounter a better collective of students anywhere else that will help you and share study skills and materials. After finishing half of the first semester and two full rounds of testing; I am still happy with my choice to attend WCU.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really need some current students to tell me some pros and cons about this school. I am weighing sending my deposit money here or to ACOM and right now the debate is pretty even

I interviewed at both schools as well. My undergrad study partner ended up going to ACOM. I chose WCUCOM. Pros for going to ACOM would be the facilities...the building is truly state of the art. Downside for ACOM is the facilities...You are in one building the entire time. There's no campus, no gym, nothing to do the other 16 hours a day when you aren't in class. That might be okay for some, but at Carey they have intramural sports, library, cafeteria, and all the other accessories of a full campus. Plus, having USM in Hattiesburg, really makes it feel like a college town. Dothan, not so much. Granted, a lot of students never interact with their classmates...shocking, I'm sure, but it happens. So it really just boils down to what you want to get out of your two years in OMS I & II. If activities outside of class are really important, then Carey would probably be a better match. Otherwise, it's just a matter of logistics, what's a better fit for you and your family.

I have been very positive for a long time now. However, I would like to state that I do not recommend WCUCOM anymore. I believed that every year, things would smooth out. I was wrong. Every year they decide to change up the schedule, the rotation sites, or the way you can take boards.

1. There is a huge lack of professionalism in this school--from the staff and faculty. The communication here between the students and the faculty is severely lacking.
2. The website lies about the rotation sites. The truth is if you are planning to come here, those rotation sites listed will not be available. There are sites in Alabama--this is the last year they will be available. There are sites in Florida--this is the last year they will be available. There are sites in Louisiana which will be reduced in size. Also, if a preceptor (physician) no longer is taking students they will not allow you to set up your own rotation at a residency hospital. Our students overall shine when on rotations, but our school fails to maintain rotation sites.
3. The website is also not up-to-date with our current curriculum.
4. They found that being in class too much hurts the students, so they reduced the amount of time. Then this year, they made it so you are in class from 8AM-5PM Monday-Thursday and 8AM-noon Friday as a first year student with mandatory attendance. This leaves very little time to study--and it is reflected in the grades. In fact, they had to push back first year elections due to the fact that not enough students were in good academic standing.
5. They also have also decided that second year students must take the practice COMLEX (called COMSAE) three times before they must repeat the year. However, now you are only allowed one time when the first time practice test pass rate was about 30%--then you have to remediate the course. This will drastically affect your GPA and thus your odds of getting the residency you want if you are a member of the 70%.

This school has so much potential, but believe me the flaws out weigh by a ton.

Others will tell you I am "just a disgruntled student" and that everyone has their own opinions. I don't find myself to be a disgruntled student. I want more than anyone for this school to realize that their actions are not going unnoticed. They are hurting their students' careers. I think the only way to get change is for people to turn down William Carey and tell them why--it is their fault. They have caused their students to be bitter people. Also, these are all facts, other than the first point. The first point is my opinion of the how the staff/faculty and students do not have a working professional relationship.

For those of you choosing between a newer school and an older school--choose the older school. There will always be kinks in the system that need to be worked out and trust me being the guinea pig is not a fun job.

I have been very positive for a long time now. However, I would like to state that I do not recommend WCUCOM anymore. I believed that every year, things would smooth out. I was wrong. Every year they decide to change up the schedule, the rotation sites, or the way you can take boards.

1. There is a huge lack of professionalism in this school--from the staff and faculty. The communication here between the students and the faculty is severely lacking.
2. The website lies about the rotation sites. The truth is if you are planning to come here, those rotation sites listed will not be available. There are sites in Alabama--this is the last year they will be available. There are sites in Florida--this is the last year they will be available. There are sites in Louisiana which will be reduced in size. Also, if a preceptor (physician) no longer is taking students they will not allow you to set up your own rotation at a residency hospital. Our students overall shine when on rotations, but our school fails to maintain rotation sites.
3. The website is also not up-to-date with our current curriculum.
4. They found that being in class too much hurts the students, so they reduced the amount of time. Then this year, they made it so you are in class from 8AM-5PM Monday-Thursday and 8AM-noon Friday as a first year student with mandatory attendance. This leaves very little time to study--and it is reflected in the grades. In fact, they had to push back first year elections due to the fact that not enough students were in good academic standing.
5. They also have also decided that second year students must take the practice COMLEX (called COMSAE) three times before they must repeat the year. However, now you are only allowed one time when the first time practice test pass rate was about 30%--then you have to remediate the course. This will drastically affect your GPA and thus your odds of getting the residency you want if you are a member of the 70%.

This school has so much potential, but believe me the flaws out weigh by a ton.

Others will tell you I am "just a disgruntled student" and that everyone has their own opinions. I don't find myself to be a disgruntled student. I want more than anyone for this school to realize that their actions are not going unnoticed. They are hurting their students' careers. I think the only way to get change is for people to turn down William Carey and tell them why--it is their fault. They have caused their students to be bitter people. Also, these are all facts, other than the first point. The first point is my opinion of the how the staff/faculty and students do not have a working professional relationship.

For those of you choosing between a newer school and an older school--choose the older school. There will always be kinks in the system that need to be worked out and trust me being the guinea pig is not a fun job.

This is a real, legitimate question.....so please do not think I am being ugly. Do they not have a feedback system in place?? It would seem to me that communication would be key to finding a workable system for the students. The school has only been open 5 years, so I understand that they are trying to find the schedule and plan that works but the trial and error period should be coming to an end at this point. Another question that I have is why in the world are there no rotation spots in Ms? I had high hopes when, earlier this year, FGH established the Family Medicine residency program. With so much focus being on the gulf south for admissions, why would students be expected to go elsewhere for rotations? I guess I am just confused and need to understand prior to accepting an invite anywhere. Thanks in advance!

This is a real, legitimate question.....so please do not think I am being ugly. Do they not have a feedback system in place?? It would seem to me that communication would be key to finding a workable system for the students. The school has only been open 5 years, so I understand that they are trying to find the schedule and plan that works but the trial and error period should be coming to an end at this point. Another question that I have is why in the world are there no rotation spots in Ms? I had high hopes when, earlier this year, FGH established the Family Medicine residency program. With so much focus being on the gulf south for admissions, why would students be expected to go elsewhere for rotations? I guess I am just confused and need to understand prior to accepting an invite anywhere. Thanks in advance!

They do not have a feedback system in place. They do have student government but that only gets you so far.

I think you misread the clinical sites. Obviously there are sites in Mississippi. The problem is that they claim sites and don't have them. They have lost many sites, which will include Alabama and Florida sites. Obviously you would like to stay in Mississippi, so the problem then becomes that the sites in Mississippi are extremely competitive already. When you take away other spots, it increases the competitiveness to get the spot you actually want in MS.

You have a valid question, and it should play a role in your decision on where to attend. Ultimately, my goal as a student is to pass the first two class years, secure a nice rotation and ultimately the residency of my choice (hopefully). SMTTT00 brought up a number of points; some of which are valid concerns (attendance and time management) and other points on which I would disagree (feedback) and a few others about which I do not have enough knowledge to comment (rotation changes).

To your question on feedback, I feel that if a student takes initiative, there are plenty of avenues to discuss issues with admin or faculty. For example, next week the admin is holding an open "town hall" meeting to which all 1st and 2nd year student were invited. There is supposed to be a discussion on residency placements, rotation options, COMLEX, and multiple other topics. I will be attending and plan to ask and learn about our options and the stats of graduating students, as theses are extremely important issues to me. Additionally, every Wednesday morning there is a "walking with the dean", where students can take a walk around campus and speak directly with the dean as he does his morning walk.

I have also spoken with many 4th year students as well as the students of the first graduating class who are now in residency, and relentlessly grilled them on their residencies and rotational experiences. It is my opinion there are available outlets for information and feedback built into WCUCOM.

I am really not able to comment on how effective the system is on instituting necessary changes because I simply have not been here long enough but I can give a simple example: we felt the cameras for the display screens in the anatomy lab did not have a high enough resolution (they were not good). A member of administration stopped in the lab during class, saw there was a valid issue, and the cameras were changed to high quality HD within a week.

With regard to rotation sites, I have heard different stories from different students, but I am more concerned with facts than discussion. I hope to have details on rotations after the town hall meeting with admin.

A typical week in class for me is as follows:
Mon: 8-12 1-5
Tues: 8-12
Wed: 1 hour in morning (time varies weekly) and 1-5pm
Thurs 8-12 1-5
Fri: 8-12
A typical week is roughly 29 hours class (lab included) per week.

I hope this information helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing tomorrow! Good luck to everyone traveling to Hattiesburg to wear formal apparel and sweat.

As an involved senior faculty ember, I simply do not understand your complaint about a lack of rotation sires in MS. WCUCOM has many of them. Perhaps you might be upset that you, yourself, did "get" one of them?

Forrest General Hospital in Hattiesburg, MS did start their FM program. WCUCOM has three of the six slots filled. Just as an example.

Other MS rotation slots are situated throughout the state - The Gulf Coast, The MS
Delta, Meridian etc. I could continue in this vein, but posting simply untrue data regarding this issue should be avoided.

As an involved senior faculty ember, I simply do not understand your complaint about a lack of rotation sires in MS. WCUCOM has many of them. Perhaps you might be upset that you, yourself, did "get" one of them?

Forrest General Hospital in Hattiesburg, MS did start their FM program. WCUCOM has three of the six slots filled. Just as an example.

Other MS rotation slots are situated throughout the state - The Gulf Coast, The MS
Delta, Meridian etc. I could continue in this vein, but posting simply untrue data regarding this issue should be avoided.

As senior faculty can you give us your opinion on the attendance policy and its effect on students grades. and ultimately board scores? Can you comment on why wcucom insists on enforcing that policy? Thankyou

Does WCUCOM accept LORs through VirtualEval? Since they are doing snail mail for their secondaries, I am wondering if they do the same for LORs.

Does anyone know what the typical wait time is after an interview? They said they would meet Wednesday, but it's still somewhat ambiguous if they will call or just mail something out.

Does anyone know what the typical wait time is after an interview? They said they would meet Wednesday, but it's still somewhat ambiguous if they will call or just mail something out.
My experience last year:
I interviewed on a Friday and was told we would hear something on Monday after the committee meeting. Dr. Weir called me late Monday afternoon and told me I was in but the letter would take a few days to reach me. I think that was pretty typical in speaking with my classmates.
I imagine they will likely call you. If you have not heard anything by late Friday, I would consider placing a very courteous phone call. Admin is usually good about getting back to applicants in a reasonable amount of time.
Best of luck to you!

As senior faculty can you give us your opinion on the attendance policy and its effect on students grades. and ultimately board scores? Can you comment on why wcucom insists on enforcing that policy? Thankyou
While I am not faculty anywhere
In the DO education world many and I mean many schools have required attendance and almost all of those schools are torn on it. Research shows that students that attend classes and are active in the classroom do better on tests however I do hear med student worry that mandatory attendance doesn't allow for as much time to study for things like the boards. It is my understanding that most of these schools depend on the classroom structure to be enough to get its students to do well on the
boards.there are strengths and weaknesses to both attendance policies so I can see the struggle.. Perhaps now is a good time to argue your case to the admins. Maybe a looser attendance policy for those with a B average or higher would be a good case to push for? If this is some thing you really worry about you have to talk to the higher ups about it.

In the DO education world many and I mean many schools have required attendance and almost all of those schools are torn on it. Research shows that students that attend classes and are active in the classroom do better on tests however I do hear med student worry that mandatory attendance doesn't allow for as much time to study for things like the boards. It is my understanding that most of these schools depend on the classroom structure to be enough to get its students to do well on the
boards.there are strengths and weaknesses to both attendance policies so I can see the struggle.. Perhaps now is a good time to argue your case to the admins. Maybe a looser attendance policy for those with a B average or higher would be a good case to push for? If this is some thing you really worry about you have to talk to the higher ups about it.

im not sure why you think most coms have a strict attendance policy this year at the last AOA conference a poll was taken of the osteopathic medical colleges of the 30 DO schools only 8 had mandatory attendance and of those wcucom was the most strict with 80% required furthermore those coms that required attendance also had less class hours and gave students one full weekday off each week it makes a huge difference

This issue has been discussed ad nauseam and admin will not budge the problem with your suggestion is that some students do not learn in a lecture setting and therefore could not achieve a B average to qualify for no attendance which then just adds to the problem also the research you mention would you mind posting a link? does that research look at professional school attendance or undergraduate attendance? I would argue that there is a vast difference in the populations a mandatory attendance policy leaves little time to study the larger volume of material in a professional school and for students who are self learners is actually more detrimental those students become the bottom statistics and are left wondering if that failed test is because they are not intelligent enough to handle med school instead of it just being a learning style issue

You bring up some good points. There are pros and cons to both, but I do not think an attendance policy could delineate based on GPA or people would really be upset (a 3.0 does not need to attend but a 2.9 does, or whatever other metric you set). The reality is many schools both DO and MD have attendance policies and many do not. If a student is absolutely anti attending class, then they would probably best served at a school with little to no policy. Again, this boils down to individual preference and learning styles. the truth of it all is most people who do have an issue just grumble about it under their breath and get back to work, because that is what it takes to be successful in med school regardless of policies. It takes a lot of work.

You bring up some good points. There are pros and cons to both, but I do not think an attendance policy could delineate based on GPA or people would really be upset (a 3.0 does not need to attend but a 2.9 does, or whatever other metric you set). The reality is many schools both DO and MD have attendance policies and many do not. If a student is absolutely anti attending class, then they would probably best served at a school with little to no policy. Again, this boils down to individual preference and learning styles. the truth of it all is most people who do have an issue just grumble about it under their breath and get back to work, because that is what it takes to be successful in med school regardless of policies. It takes a lot of work.
I was just throwing that out there. Attendance policy or no makes little difference to me. I plan to attend class regardless but I understand the point.

I wasn't posting untrue data! I was asking a question in response to SMTTT00. That is why I quoted that post in my response. I understood his/her post to read that WCUCOM lied on their website regarding rotation sites. Specifically #2 which read, "2. The website lies about the rotation sites. The truth is if you are planning to come here, those rotation sites listed will not be available. There are sites in Alabama--this is the last year they will be available. There are sites in Florida--this is the last year they will be available. There are sites in Louisiana which will be reduced in size. Also, if a preceptor (physician) no longer is taking students they will not allow you to set up your own rotation at a residency hospital." My understanding of that point was that WCUCOM lists all of those sites as available, yet they are not available. My posts was questioning the validity of that point since, as a resident of Hattiesburg, I knew that FGH started a Family Med residency program. The OP then posted that I potentially misread the post and that there ARE sites in Ms.

I am stunned that you thought that my post was critical of WCUCOM. My experience has been just the opposite. I find WCUCOM to be extremely helpful and open to feedback and even criticism from students. Maybe you could elaborate as to how I posted untrue date? I am the one that questioned the validity of rotation issues, citing the creation of FGH's FM residency. Would you care to expound upon your posts?

I wasn't posting untrue data! I was asking a question in response to SMTTT00. That is why I quoted that post in my response. I understood his/her post to read that WCUCOM lied on their website regarding rotation sites. Specifically #2 which read, "2. The website lies about the rotation sites. The truth is if you are planning to come here, those rotation sites listed will not be available. There are sites in Alabama--this is the last year they will be available. There are sites in Florida--this is the last year they will be available. There are sites in Louisiana which will be reduced in size. Also, if a preceptor (physician) no longer is taking students they will not allow you to set up your own rotation at a residency hospital." My understanding of that point was that WCUCOM lists all of those sites as available, yet they are not available. My posts was questioning the validity of that point since, as a resident of Hattiesburg, I knew that FGH started a Family Med residency program. The OP then posted that I potentially misread the post and that there ARE sites in Ms.

I am stunned that you thought that my post was critical of WCUCOM. My experience has been just the opposite. I find WCUCOM to be extremely helpful and open to feedback and even criticism from students. Maybe you could elaborate as to how I posted untrue date? I am the one that questioned the validity of rotation issues, citing the creation of FGH's FM residency. Would you care to expound upon your posts?
I don't think you were being called out but I believe the poster didn't know the purpose and proper use of the quote function. I believe it was directed at the op.

Seeing a faculty member say "Perhaps you might be upset that you, yourself, did "get" one of them?" is antagonistic, abusive, flippant and unprofessional.

Even if the student is disgruntled and lashing out on the internet, it's no less appalling to see the faculty stoop to that level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does this school waitlist people they interview very often? I haven't been waitlisted, just waiting to see if they call this afternoon, but I was trying to figure out the probability of each outcome.

I don't think you were being called out but I believe the poster didn't know the purpose and proper use of the quote function. I believe it was directed at the op.
Thank you for your response......that actually crossed my mind. I felt as if my post was very clear in questioning the availability of rotation sites. Hopefully the faculty member can respond soon.

Seeing a faculty member say "Perhaps you might be upset that you, yourself, did "get" one of them?" is antagonistic, abusive, flippant and unprofessional.

Even if the student is disgruntled and lashing out on the internet, it's no less appalling to see the faculty stoop to that level.
I can speak as to whether or not I am upset about not getting one of the rotation sites. I am NOT a current med student at WCU, therefore I have not been granted nor denied any spot. I am, however, very familiar with WCU and that is why I was questioning whether or not they did or did not have rotation sites that they claim. I am have many friends that are currently in the program and one friend that was in the inaugural class. None of them have complained about availability for rotations. I was confused about the content contained in a previous posts (hence my quote of that posts.) I am hoping that the faculty member didn't understand what it means when you quote a previous post as @WorldChanger36 mentioned. Regardless, I love WCU and have no intentions of attending any other school. I will be happy to pass along any information that I have about the culture and area if there are any pre-meds out there still trying to decide if WCU if right for them.

Thank you for your response!

I am really not understanding the objections to this school. 80 percent attendance is almost one day off every week so if you need to study on an off day you could every week. So unless you are claiming that going to class makes you dumber I really don't get what the problem is. In regards to the host sites changing the only thing I can think of is well duh. The school doesn't have a hospital so of course things are going to change up from year to year but these guys make it sound like 3rd and 4th year causes some people to be left out or that their education is compromised. I understand that these are annoying however they are not harmful. These issues are minor and I just don't understand why they are such a big deal. Maybe that is because I am not in medical school right now and if that is the case please explain it to me because I just don't get it.

I am really not understanding the objections to this school. 80 percent attendance is almost one day off every week so if you need to study on an off day you could every week. So unless you are claiming that going to class makes you dumber I really don't get what the problem is. In regards to the host sites changing the only thing I can think of is well duh. The school doesn't have a hospital so of course things are going to change up from year to year but these guys make it sound like 3rd and 4th year causes some people to be left out or that their education is compromised. I understand that these are annoying however they are not harmful. These issues are minor and I just don't understand why they are such a big deal. Maybe that is because I am not in medical school right now and if that is the case please explain it to me because I just don't get it.

The 80% rule is really not a big deal. I am typically a 90% + attendance student, but sometimes I will take a strategic absence before an exam so it does not affect me too much and I think most student would attend most classes regardless of the rule. I think the fact that it exists irritates some people more than the true impact of an attendance policy. The objections on this forum in the last posts are only from a few students. In terms of rotations, most students who have been on rotations seem to be fine with their locations. I had actually heard of a couple unfilled slots in Mississippi.

1. Our attendance policy is well known and posted on any and all info sites available to prospective applicants.
2. It is NOT unique. Many other medical schools (allopathic/osteopathic) have identical or similar policies.
3. Not ALL courses at WCUCOM adhere to the same policy. Individual Course Directors do have discretion.
4. Importantly, to me, any student AFTER THE FACT complaining about any attendance policy that was specified as in place when he/she applied? Sour grapes people! Simply looking for a scapegoat to explain away YOUR deficiency of either preparation, study skills, or dedication to the profession of medicine. If you thought the attendance policy was all that important? Reject our offer for admittance and attend elsewhere.
5. We expect our students to be adaptive professionals. Do you expect your clinical rotation preceptors, or your residency directors, OR your future patients to accept excuses for your non-attentitiveness to their requirements/needs/schedules/appointments?? If you even hesitate here to answer NO? Do not attempt to become a physician.

NOTE: Regarding the "hub-site" debate. In retrospect I responded incorrectly to a poster who was, in fact, quoting a previous poster presenting simply incorrect data. My intention was, and remains the same, accuracy. WCUCOM DOES have well-established community based hub sites for third and fourth year clinical rotations spread throughout the state of Mississippi.

Last edited:
1. Our attendance policy is well known and posted on any and all info sites available to prospective applicants.
2. It is NOT unique. Many other medical schools (allopathic/osteopathic) have identical or similar policies.
3. Not ALL courses at WCUCOM adhere to the same policy. Individual Course Directors do have discretion.
4. Importantly, to me, any student AFTER THE FACT complaining about any attendance policy that was specified as in place when he/she applied? Sour grapes people! Simply looking for a scapegoat to explain away YOUR deficiency of either preparation, study skills, or dedication to the profession of medicine. If you thought the attendance policy was all that important? Reject our offer for admittance and attend elsewhere.
5. We expect our students to be adaptive professionals. Do you expect your clinical rotation preceptors, or your residency directors, OR your future patients to accept excuses for your non-attentitiveness to their requirements/needs/schedules/appointments?? If you even hesitate here to answer NO? Do not attempt to become a physician.

NOTE: Regarding the "hub-site" debate. In retrospect I responded incorrectly to a poster who was, in fact, quoting a previous poster presenting simply incorrect data. My intention was, and remains the same, accuracy. WCUCOM DOES have well-established community based hub sites for third and fourth year clinical rotations spread throughout the state of Mississippi.

1. while the attendance policy is well known until youre a student you have no idea how that policy is going to affect you

2. please research this topic not many medical schools have a policy as strict as this one I will post the statistics at some point

3. all but one of the first year courses adhered to the policy the one that didn't was histology and dr millerite was such a good teacher that I wanted to be there other courses are less effective so I needed time to teach myself

as for my sour grapes I never imagined the attendance policy would be a problem and even though it would help me but I had never been a med student before and figured out I needed more time to teach myself that the attendance policy doesn't allow there are no deficiencies in my grades I happen to perform in the top of the class consistently and I have great grades in spite of the policy also to compare attending class to appointments in practice is apples and oranges the complaint isn't about being punctual it is about the most effective way for me to learn I loved wcucom when I was applying and admitted I learned soon after starting that is wasn't about the best way to learn for the student but it was about establishing themselves as a med school focusing on pass rates

Reactions: 2 users
I can speak as to whether or not I am upset about not getting one of the rotation sites. I am NOT a current med student at WCU, therefore I have not been granted nor denied any spot. I am, however, very familiar with WCU and that is why I was questioning whether or not they did or did not have rotation sites that they claim. I am have many friends that are currently in the program and one friend that was in the inaugural class. None of them have complained about availability for rotations. I was confused about the content contained in a previous posts (hence my quote of that posts.) I am hoping that the faculty member didn't understand what it means when you quote a previous post as @WorldChanger36 mentioned. Regardless, I love WCU and have no intentions of attending any other school. I will be happy to pass along any information that I have about the culture and area if there are any pre-meds out there still trying to decide if WCU if right for them.

Thank you for your response!
Yes, it definitely looks like you were misquoted. But still, the comment was directed at someone (I'm not sure who now) and I find the ad hominem attacks pretty shocking. Thank goodness that my other interaction with this school (Dean Weir) was overwhelmingly positive so I'm not completely put off.

Last edited:
Good luck those of you in the last interview groups. Hopefully you have good news on the way.

Yes, it definitely looks like you were misquoted. But still, the comment was directed at someone (I'm not sure who now) and I find the ad hominem attacks pretty shocking. Thank goodness that my other interaction with this school (Dean Weir) was overwhelmingly positive so I'm not completely put off.
You object to a post that simply states that absolutely incorrect data is being disseminated?

You object to a post that simply states that absolutely incorrect data is being disseminated?

In fact, I am glad that faculty come on this site to provide information. Faculty responses on here tend to hold a lot of weight. What I object to is the ad hominem attack (in bold). I really think your rebuttal would have been good enough on its own.

I just believe that whether or not a claim has merit should be a separate issue from the complainer's possible motive.

To you it may be obvious that the student is lying and therefore must be bitter, but it really isn't obvious to anyone who doesn't know you or the student. If the student has genuine grievances, even if they are expressed in an angry manner, accusing them of being bitter does not solve the problem and it generates more hostility.

As an aside, while medical schools are selective, they are also businesses. I don't claim to know how they work, but as a regular consumer of a variety of things, I'm always impressed when businesses respond in a solicitous and thorough way to total idiots with an obvious agenda to get free stuff. Criticism is an opportunity to show everyone how your administration works.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How long did it take you guys to receive your secondary? My app was released on 10/09, but I haven't gotten an email saying whether or not I passed the screen...

How long did it take you guys to receive your secondary? My app was released on 10/09, but I haven't gotten an email saying whether or not I passed the screen...
They don't send anything to you unless it's a secondary or interview invite. So, if they like you, that will be the next email you would receive.

Last edited: