William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back yet? I had my interview on the 24th and am still waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back yet? me had my interview on the 24th and am still waitin'.
I was interviewed on the 28th and told they were calling Monday, but I haven't heard anything. I think they are just behind schedule. I was trying to remember names of other people I interviewed with to ask if they heard anything but I couldn't think of them.

me was interviewed on the 28th and told they were callin' Monday, but me haven't heard anythin'. me think they be just behind schedule. me was tryin' to remember names of other people me interviewed wit to ask if they heard anythin' but me couldn't think of them.

Yea, I guess they are behind schedule. If anyone hears back, please post and let us all know!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody have the official matchlist? I really would like to see it.

Ok so I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but I had a question about rotations. Students can only do rotations at hospitals the school is affiliated with? For example I know they have a place in northern Florida but what if I want to do rotations in Miami? Would that be possible?

Also if anyone has done any missionary work, can I get some insight on that? I am really interested in doing missionary work while at the same time being able to travel to various places.

Does anybody have the official matchlist? I really would like to see it.
It is posted previously.

Ok so I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but I had a question about rotations. Students can only do rotations at hospitals the school is affiliated with? For example I know they have a place in northern Florida but what if I want to do rotations in Miami? Would that be possible?

3rd year rotations are at an affiliated hospital. 4th year you schedule yourself anywhere you'd like.
Also if anyone has done any missionary work, can I get some insight on that? I am really interested in doing missionary work while at the same time being able to travel to various places.

We have an international medical mission club. Over winter break they visited Haiti.

Hello all! I emailed Dr. Weir after not hearing back on the 31st, and he basically told me the committee did indeed meet on that day. They have made a decision for all the candidates, but the Dean is out of town so he has to approve everything before it becomes official. I recommend that if you really want to know your status, email Dr. Weir and ask! Good luck to you all!

Hello all! I emailed Dr. Weir after not hearing back on the 31st, and he basically told me the committee did indeed meet on that day. They have made a decision for all the candidates, but the Dean is out of town so he has to approve everything before it becomes official. I recommend that if you really want to know your status, email Dr. Weir and ask! Good luck to you all!

Awesome! Thanks so much for letting us know! Did he happen to say when the dean would return? Also, did he tell you your status?

Awesome! Thanks so much for letting us know! Did he happen to say when the dean would return? Also, did he tell you your status?

I got a call from Dr. Weir this morning. He left a voicemail saying that I am officially accepted and that I should receive my official letter of acceptance in the mail soon. Good luck to you!

I got a call from Dr. Weir this morning. He left a voicemail saying that I am officially accepted and that I should receive my official letter of acceptance in the mail soon. Good luck to you!
Thanks! I got a call this morning saying the same! Congratulations!!!!

Congrats guys. Interviewed 3/24 and got the call today as well. Accepted! I will be attending WCUCOM this fall!

Congratulations to all. You'll be added to the fb group once you pay your seat deposit.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st Residency Match: Previously there's a post with a list of Instate programs they've matched and a post with speciality breakdown. But not the list of the breakdown of AOA/ACGME programs and the Names of Out of State programs. Would be nice to see if there's an official list with all the Names and Specialities.

1st Residency Match: Previously there's a post with a list of Instate programs they've matched and a post with speciality breakdown. But not the list of the breakdown of AOA/ACGME programs and the Names of Out of State programs. Would be nice to see if there's an official list with all the Names and Specialities.

Several students have posted in our student body page, but there has been no list distributed to students. I'm sorry! I can only provide to you what has been given to me.

I have an interview 5/5. Hope they have a spot left by then. Does anyone else an interview that late?
I know how it feels. Everyone is talking about matches and roommates and we are still trying to get our foot in the door. I'll see you on 5/5! Check your PMs

Interviewed on the 28th and got accepted yesterday! I'll be at WCUCOM in the fall. Woohoo!

Are there any opportunities to explore research in fields like neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery at WCUCOM?

Are there any opportunities to explore research in fields like neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery at WCUCOM?

There is no current research in those areas at WCUCOM, however, we have faculty who have placed several students in labs all over in fields they are interested in. Also, students are free to find opportunities on their own, and faculty will help how they can.

Out first research lab was just constructed for the biochemistry department and will be focused on cancer genetics.

There is no current research in those areas at WCUCOM, however, we have faculty who have placed several students in labs all over in fields they are interested in. Also, students are free to find opportunities on their own, and faculty will help how they can.

Out first research lab was just constructed for the biochemistry department and will be focused on cancer genetics.
Nice! Does that mean that students can start doing research soon?

Can anyone provide information about the mission trips?

There is a student organization that organizes mission trips. They have done trips over Christmas break, and they are planning one for spring break next year. They also plan summer mission trips.

We are also given one month during 4th year for an international rotation, which is what I plan to do myself.

Sorry for the continuous stream of seemingly random questions!

Regarding lectures, are they in any way recorded for if someone wants to go back and reference something that was said or something that may have been missed? In my current school, my studying has revolved around going to lecture and then just rewatching them...it has worked pretty well for me!

Also, does exam material come from lecture material or from textbooks? How difficult are the exams/around what are the class averages?

There is a student organization that organizes mission trips. They have done trips over Christmas break, and they are planning one for spring break next year. They also plan summer mission trips.

We are also given one month during 4th year for an international rotation, which is what I plan to do myself.
Cool, what country?

Is Scotland possible?

Regarding lectures, are they in any way recorded for if someone wants to go back and reference something that was said or something that may have been missed? In my current school, my studying has revolved around going to lecture and then just rewatching them...it has worked pretty well for me!

Also, does exam material come from lecture material or from textbooks? How difficult are the exams/around what are the class averages?

Would like to know the same questions! Thanks!

I am a current 2nd year
All lectures are supposed to be recorded by the professor and posted to the school website, sometimes they forget to hit the the record button though :( (just stay on top of them about it, if you see them fail to hit the record button on screen). I would say 90%-100% of the material on each test can be found from lecture/ppts, but you can find it all in the books if that style of studying fits you better. The average in every class is different some professors scale some don't, i get the sense that most of the professors are looking for a 78-82 average. Anything < 70 is considered failing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys!

I see that many of you just interviewed recently and a few of you were accepted! Congratulations! I have another interview coming up but my WCU interview is on the 28th and I really want to nail it (first choice). Is there any advice or any information that you could give me to help? Thank you in advance! :)

Hey guys!

I see that many of you just interviewed recently and a few of you were accepted! Congratulations! I have another interview coming up but my WCU interview is on the 28th and I really want to nail it (first choice). Is there any advice or any information that you could give me to help? Thank you in advance! :)

The best advice I could give is to be yourself, stay calm because the interviews are very relaxed. Also, go to the interview feedback section on this website for WCUCOM. That was very helpful to me!

I am a current 2nd year
All lectures are supposed to be recorded by the professor and posted to the school website, sometimes they forget to hit the the record button though :( (just stay on top of them about it, if you see them fail to hit the record button on screen). I would say 90%-100% of the material on each test can be found from lecture/ppts, but you can find it all in the books if that style of studying fits you better. The average in every class is different some professors scale some don't, i get the sense that most of the professors are looking for a 78-82 average. Anything < 70 is considered failing.

Thanks a lot for the information!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to join the Facebook group? I made my deposit last week and requested to join the group but haven't got a response. thanks!

Does anyone know how to join the Facebook group? I made my deposit last week and requested to join the group but haven't got a response. thanks!
You'll be added to the fb once they receive your check! congrats

I was wondering the same bc I paid by credit card over the phone and it was processed last week!

I receive the updated list about once every other week. If you have not been added then your deposit was received within the last week. No worries guys!

I have an interview 5/5. Hope they have a spot left by then. Does anyone else an interview that late?

I do! I just received an interview invite today, actually. Guess I'll see you in a few weeks. :)

Any news from recent interviews?

Contact Dr. Weir on your status. He's pretty quick to reply.

Congrats to those who just found out they had an interview. The school is cool, and the people there are really nice. I interviewed on 4/7 and it was a very pleasurable experience. Also, remember Glory Bound Gyro Co. I ate here the evening before my interview. If you're into gyros I suggest giving this place a try. It's across HW49 from Southern Miss.

There're several sushi restaurants and a starsbuck on hardy street.

Had my interview yesterday. I can confirm many of the others experiences, it was very laid back and friendly. The students that ate lunch with us were a wealth of information and great to talk to. Dr. Weir did say that the committee would be meeting next on the 2nd of May to make their decisions and there were still openings in the class. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Have any accepted students received any paperwork? I thought we had to do a drug test and background check, but I haven't heard anything.

Had my interview yesterday. I can confirm many of the others experiences, it was very laid back and friendly. The students that ate lunch with us were a wealth of information and great to talk to. Dr. Weir did say that the committee would be meeting next on the 2nd of May to make their decisions and there were still openings in the class. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Best of luck to you! My interview actually got moved today, I will be going April 25th instead of May 5th. I guess this means I will get a decision after that May 2nd committee meeting. After months (literally, months) of waiting for a secondary, it seems like everything is moving so fast now. I must say I'm mildly terrified...

On the subject of meal options, if you are a fan of Thai food there is a restaurant called Jutamas not far from the school that is fantastic.

Got my acceptance letter Friday. Pretty excited to be apart of this school. How long is the turn around on getting invited to the FB group after putting down a seat deposit?

So for those of you that interviewed recently, it seemed like they have a reasonable amount of seats left? I have an interview on Monday and I'm really looking forward to the possibility of attending here!

Got my acceptance letter Friday. Pretty excited to be apart of this school. How long is the turn around on getting invited to the FB group after putting down a seat deposit?
Most likely you were added today! Check your email. If not then it will be in a week or two.

So for those of you that interviewed recently, it seemed like they have a reasonable amount of seats left? I have an interview on Monday and I'm really looking forward to the possibility of attending here!
When I interviewed, I asked Emily and she said they were about half way filled! Don't be afraid to ask. That was just about two weeks ago, so I'm sure it's about the same if not a little over half now. Your chances are still good as ever in my opinion :)

Reactions: 1 users