William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ii!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I got my Interview Invite Yesterday! Super excited!

This school is without a doubt my first choice, I hope they get the curriculum issues sorted out and I'm sure prospective applicants would love to know the complex pass rate for the current 3rd years is. 75% for the first class is expected, hoping there is an upward trend though.

Members don't see this ad :)
app released early this week, still no secondary

I am so excited about this school! It is by far my number one choice!

Can anyone that's already interviewed comment on what it was like?

Can anyone that's already interviewed comment on what it was like?

My interview was extremely relaxed, just like a normal conversation. If you don't know, it is a 3 on 1 interview that lasts about 30 minutes. Everyone interviewing on the same day interviews with the same 3 faculty members, so you will have to wait a while if you aren't one of the first people to interview. I didn't get any extremely tough questions, but I can't guarantee that it will be the same for everyone. I was asked the expected why DO and why WCU questions, but just be prepared to tell them about yourself. The overall impression I got was that they just wanted to get to know me and make sure that I was a good fit for their school. There will most likely be at least one ethical/scenario question as well. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much, that helps a lot!

Accepted!! =)
Congratulations! and thanks for the interview information. I'll be there on Dec. 2 for my interview and I can't wait. Really looking forward to seeing their program in person.

Does WCU accept interfolio for LOR's? The CIB states they do, however the secondary says senders should send letters to WCU ... that would be an EXTREME inconvenience as I have no way of getting in touch with the DO that wrote my LOR.

And interfolio only has WCU listed for the '13 cycle, not '14.

Does WCU accept interfolio for LOR's? The CIB states they do, however the secondary says senders should send letters to WCU ... that would be an EXTREME inconvenience as I have no way of getting in touch with the DO that wrote my LOR.

And interfolio only has WCU listed for the '13 cycle, not '14.
Yes, I sent mine through interfolio, no problems.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
pals for life?
just kidding, good luck!
For life.

Good luck to you as well. I've heard some great and terrible things about the school and am eager to hopefully check it out myself. I'm sure as they are becoming more established the issues are being ironed out. I am concerned about their history with board scores and am looking forward to reading the most recent passing percentage.

Im honestly starting to think William Carey passed on me. I have a secondary from everybody but them. Im in state, urm, with great stats. o_O. I even emailed admission yesterday with no response. App released 10/30.

Im honestly starting to think William Carey passed on me. I have a secondary from everybody but them. Im in state, urm, with great stats. o_O. I even emailed admission yesterday with no response. App released 10/30.

Did you email Dr. Weir directly? Sometimes he takes a few days to respond. You can always call their office if you never get a response.

Dr. Wire came to my school and spoke tonight. Very nice man .

I have an interview coming up in Monday and am ready to get a feel for the school. Can any current students tell me some stats like attrition and board pass rate yet? Thanks

Dr. Wire came to my school and spoke tonight. Very nice man .

I have an interview coming up in Monday and am ready to get a feel for the school. Can any current students tell me some stats like attrition and board pass rate yet? Thanks

We haven't been told board scores yet, but I'm sure we can get statistics on attrition. I will try to get that info and post here as soon as possible.

We haven't been told board scores yet, but I'm sure we can get statistics on attrition. I will try to get that info and post here as soon as possible.
Thank you very much

Thank you very much
Good luck on your interview, I will be there for mine in a few weeks. Let us know how it went and what your impressions of the school were.

SO I finally called WCU today. AACOMAS released 10/31 still no secondary. The person I talked to said Dr. Weir was out doing recruiting trip this week and that im still inconsideration, and to call back next week. IDK.

Accepted! Just got the call!
If you don't mind me asking when did you interview, I interviewed November 1st and was told they'd let us know on Monday the 4th but never got a call I'm just curious when we are gonna find out

If you don't mind me asking when did you interview, I interviewed November 1st and was told they'd let us know on Monday the 4th but never got a call I'm just curious when we are gonna find out

I interviewed on 10/28. They also told me that we would find out on the 4th, but Dr. Weir didn't call until the 7th. He was out of town. So I'm sure they will get to you soon!

I interviewed on 10/28. They also told me that we would find out on the 4th, but Dr. Weir didn't call until the 7th. He was out of town. So I'm sure they will get to you soon!
Ok that makes me feel alittle better that the schedule as a whole must be slightly off, I appreciate your prompt response to!

Interviewed here today. Met a lot of nice people and the interviewers were very nice. Good luck to you ... I'm sure it wasn't too bad, just like I told ya! :)

SO I finally called WCU today. AACOMAS released 10/31 still no secondary. The person I talked to said Dr. Weir was out doing recruiting trip this week and that im still inconsideration, and to call back next week. IDK.

Got secondary today! :) Ill have to mail if off tomorrow. Got an interview at the state MD school as well for 11/26.:soexcited:

Dear current students. I was at the interview yesterday but I couldn't really get a feel for Hattiesburg. I got the apartment magazine, but I'm curious: what, in your opinion, are the top 3 nicest/safest/ most reasonable apartment homes that you know of? I know that's picky, but I figured id ask the people who most likely know. Thanks!

Dear current students. I was at the interview yesterday but I couldn't really get a feel for Hattiesburg. I got the apartment magazine, but I'm curious: what, in your opinion, are the top 3 nicest/safest/ most reasonable apartment homes that you know of? I know that's picky, but I figured id ask the people who most likely know. Thanks!

I am a current 2nd year. I personally live at Arbor Walk its nice/safe slightly overpriced imo for the size of the apt. but not unbearable. The thing I like the most is that it is almost as close as you can get to the school, that isn't a fixed income/government housing apartment district. I could be wrong but i believe the majority of my class lives in either Arbor Walk,Twin Oaks,Lakes at Turtle Creek, or Breckenridge.

Hattiesburg is a great place to live! I've lived here since 2007 (I went to USM) and I love it here. I've lived in a few apartment complexes in town, but I have to agree with the above poster... Breckinridge, or the Lakes seem to be popular choices. I also recommend the Reserve. I suggest that you stay away from the cottages... Lots of undergraduates which leads to lots of loud noises at random times throughout the night. Also, if you are looking for a roommate, please meet them before moving in with them... The last thing you will have time for during first year is dealing with incompatible roommates.

Good luck to you all! And congrats to those already accepted! Maybe I'll get to be your big doc next year!

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyway to pay the WCU secondary fee with credit/debit card?

Is there anyway to pay the WCU secondary fee with credit/debit card?

Unfortunately I think the only way to pay the fee is with check or money order. You can give the admissions office a call to confirm.

[

Last edited:
I went to USM too. I was there from 2006-2011. If you were a bio major we probably know each other. There are a lot of great places to live, if I end up back in Hattiesburg, i'll try to stay as close to the long leaf trace as possible, fell in love with that place.

I was there from 2005-2010 as a bio major... SMTTT!

Unfortunately, I have noticed that in the Fall it seems to take a little longer to get a response from admissions following an interview. Dr. Weir and his staff do a lot of traveling so please be patient :)!! Looking forward to hearing about your acceptances!

As for the apartments, I agree with the other students' posts. We do send out an apartment survey to our current students and give them to the accepted students--probably in the Spring we will send this out. If you have any particular questions feel free to ask!

I got the interview invite today for Jan. 24! :) I'm so excited!!!

So I received a letter today stating that I've been deferred, what are my chances now? Has anyone else been deferred?

Unfortunately I think the only way to pay the fee is with check or money order. You can give the admissions office a call to confirm.

I actually emailed admissions and you can pay the secondary fee with credit or debit card. Also they told me there were student apartments very close to the school for 1500 a trimester. William Carey is on trimester so that means 4500 year! Really cheap, anybody know of these apartments? And 3rd and 4th years how are you guys rotations going? Do you get to do a lot?

Last edited:
oops, I didn't mean to "like" your post, I meant to quote it.

I haven't heard a thing since the interview... now I want to check the mail....
Yeah one of the guys from our group was deferred by email, mine was by letter. I just wonder what that means in the long run.

I actually emailed admissions and you can pay the secondary fee with credit or debit card. Also they told me there were student apartments very close to the school for 1500 a trimester. William Carey is on trimester so that means 4500 year! Really cheap, anybody know of these apartments? And 3rd and 4th years how are you guys rotations going? Do you get to do a lot?

Great! That's very convenient.

Did they happen to mention the name of the apartments? The consensus at the COM is that the apartments near the school are not great places to live. You also have to take into account that those types of places are usually filled with undergrads... They tend to make lots of noise near exam time.

The welcoming committee puts together a list of apartments and their pros and cons to accepted students. I'm not on the welcoming committee, but I'm sure they will get that out in the spring.