will you be looked down on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PleaseHelpMe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you graduate from St George for example, will you be looked down on by other US MEdical graduate students? I know it is far better to get your MD from a US school than a foreign school... but I just wanted to know how bad the image is in the U.S. for those that got a M.D. in the caribbean. Thanks.

Also, is it true that it is hard to get residency placement if you are an IMG?

Members don't see this ad.

PleaseHelpMe said:
If you graduate from St George for example, will you be looked down on by other US MEdical graduate students? I know it is far better to get your MD from a US school than a foreign school... but I just wanted to know how bad the image is in the U.S. for those that got a M.D. in the caribbean. Thanks.

Also, is it true that it is hard to get residency placement if you are an IMG?

You will be judged but no more than anyone else who is not in a particular group.

For example, Harvard and JHU doctors will look down on state schools and so on and so forth until you are in residency and you show what type of phyician you are and then people rate you on performance, not school.

Residency depends on your USMLE score and LORs from rotations. Only a select few specialties are very hard to land and the rest depend on you.

as long as you do well on your boards and in your classes and have good LORs, you'll get a good residency....i don't know too much about the other schools, but i know that SGU is great (and the islands aren't bad to live on for 2 years if you enjoy them for what they are and don't expect them to be like the US with Walmarts everywhere). once you're in residency and beyond no one cares where you went to school, and if they do and they judge you, they're not worth your time anyway...... :cool: