Will Vocal Cord Dysfunction get me kicked out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsurg2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wrote earlier about how I thought I had developed asthma after being sick for a few months (moving to high altitude where it is cold for school did it I think). Anyway, my doc treated me with everything to no avail :mad: -- now he thinks its 'vocal cord dysfunction.' (dx of exclusion and pretty lame)

My question is, I'm going to OIS this summer and unless I get better really fast I'm not going to be able to run (I went from running 2-3 miles/day to not being able to even swim 200m because of this). Will this get me discharged or can I still be in if I can't do the physical tests.. .and if I get it fixed will they let me back in?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I wrote earlier about how I thought I had developed asthma after being sick for a few months (moving to high altitude where it is cold for school did it I think). Anyway, my doc treated me with everything to no avail :mad: -- now he thinks its 'vocal cord dysfunction.' (dx of exclusion and pretty lame)

My question is, I'm going to OIS this summer and unless I get better really fast I'm not going to be able to run (I went from running 2-3 miles/day to not being able to even swim 200m because of this). Will this get me discharged or can I still be in if I can't do the physical tests.. .and if I get it fixed will they let me back in?

Thanks

Well, as an ENT who sees VF (vocal fold) dysfunction on a reasonable basis, I can tell you that if you see a "qualified" and experienced speech pathologist, they can often break the dysfunction within 1 or 2 visits. It's amazing how quickly you can get "cured" in appropriate hands. However, a speech pathologist who has little experience with this condition may not be able to do it nearly as quickly.

Also, you should definitely be seen by an ENT. VFD is paroxysmal, but by watching your larynx with a flexible scope, sometimes it can be seen. That visualization is pathognomonic for the disease.

Regardless, if you can't pass the physical fitness test, you will be retested. If you continue to fail, or if a medical condition is diagnosed that cannot be reversed, you will get a medical evaluation board which may or may not recommend medical discharge.

At least that's the process in the AF. I've diagnosed perhaps 5-6 patients in the last 2 years with VFD and all have been "cured" by a speech pathologist I use at the local university hospital. None have gone on to medical evaluation boards because the issue was resolved.

Hi all,

Thanks

I think I'm missing something here -- why would "vocal cord dysfunction" prevent you from swimming or running?

Members don't see this ad :)
well, it started as a burning in my larynx, like laryngitis... except then it progressed to a full-out choking feeling when I laugh, cough, or run (increased respiratory rate).

Basically, what happens is that the vocal cords fail to retract on inspiration and instead, close. This leaves you with very little space to breathe through and you get stridor and choking.

well, it started as a burning in my larynx, like laryngitis... except then it progressed to a full-out choking feeling when I laugh, cough, or run (increased respiratory rate).

Basically, what happens is that the vocal cords fail to retract on inspiration and instead, close. This leaves you with very little space to breathe through and you get stridor and choking.

Gotcha.
Sounds unpleasant.
Good luck.

How about a big Penis! Would that get me kicked out?:eek: