Will VCOM's post-bacc open up doors to MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luelinks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to VCOM's post-baccalaureate route will be a better option for me financially, and for the possibility of gaining acceptance just @ a medical school.

But for someone who prefers the D.O. philosophy, but wants to specialize, I think going to VCU's CERT route, for more $ and loans, might cause more stress and financial worry in the meantime. However, that could open up more doors to VA medical schools (VCOM, EVMS) and MCV's school. Plus if I gain in-state tuition after a year for either post-bacc it will benefit me for VCU CERT but won't hurt for VCOM's private school tuition.

Should I just go through VCOMs (which looks "easier?" than CERTs?), and hope it can open more doors? Any acceptance will make me happy.

Members don't see this ad.

But for someone who prefers the D.O. philosophy
If by "DO philosophy" you mean patient-centered care, whole patient, treat the patient not the disease, good luck finding an MD who isn't a proponent of those things. "DO philosophy" is marketing, not reality.
but wants to specialize
Are you aware that DO's can do either DO or MD residencies? There are DO-only neurosurg residencies etc.
Plus if I gain in-state tuition after a year for either post-bacc it will benefit me for VCU CERT but won't hurt for VCOM's private school tuition.
You don't get VA residency by going to school in VA. You get it by "establishing a domicile" which means your source of income is in VA (from either your parents' or your job) thus you're paying state income tax.

I strongly recommend that you not try to work to establish residency during any of the VA postbacs. These programs are full time and then some. Part time work, maybe, but not if you're on a GPA comeback.
Should I just go through VCOMs (which looks "easier?" than CERTs?), and hope it can open more doors? Any acceptance will make me happy.
None of the postbacs are easy. I recommend not starting one until you've figured out how to get A's in hard science, and not until you have a competitive MCAT (28+ for do, 31+ for MD) in hand.

Doing more undergrad in your home state might be a cheaper option for you.

Best of luck to you.

If by "DO philosophy" you mean patient-centered care, whole patient, treat the patient not the disease, good luck finding an MD who isn't a proponent of those things. "DO philosophy" is marketing, not reality.

Are you aware that DO's can do either DO or MD residencies? There are DO-only neurosurg residencies etc.

You don't get VA residency by going to school in VA. You get it by "establishing a domicile" which means your source of income is in VA (from either your parents' or your job) thus you're paying state income tax.

I strongly recommend that you not try to work to establish residency during any of the VA postbacs. These programs are full time and then some. Part time work, maybe, but not if you're on a GPA comeback.

None of the postbacs are easy. I recommend not starting one until you've figured out how to get A's in hard science, and not until you have a competitive MCAT (28+ for do, 31+ for MD) in hand.

Doing more undergrad in your home state might be a cheaper option for you.

Best of luck to you.

Yes I am aware of the residencies... I was putting it bluntly. Anyways, I have been working in VA for over a year part time and will be for the next year, and I haven't been back to my home state in two years. Do you think I have a strong case if I switch my plates, voter ballot, registration over now (I'm a rising senior)? I have no intentions of going back to my home state.