Will they ever give us a straight answer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.internationa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what i asked in an email to ADA.

The candidate guide for Part 1 says,

"You may apply for reexamination at any time. However, notification of eligibility will not be sent to the Prometric Contact Center until at least 85 days have lapsed from the last attempt. When the notification of eligibility has been sent to Prometric, an e-mail (or letter via U.S. mail if no e-mail address is on file) will be sent to the candidate instructing him/her to call the Prometric Contact Center at 800.688.5804 to schedule an examination appointment. A minimum of 90 days must separate a candidate’s reexaminations on the NBDE Part I."

Do they mean that if someone takes the exam in october 2009 and pass it he can take another exam in 2010 if he submits an application before Jan 2010?"

I got this reply.

If an application is submitted in 2009 the candidate will have 12 months in which they may sit for the examination starting the date the application was processed. Starting in 2010 candidates who have passed an examination will not be eligible to apply for re-examination.

What does this mean?

can we reapply before 2010 even if 90 days have not passed? My exam is on Oct 16. I am planning to reapply in Nov as soon as get my results (if they are not satisfactory). i think they will process application but not send prometric the eligibility letter before Jan 16. Any thoughts on this, guys?

Members don't see this ad.

This is what i asked in an email to ADA.

The candidate guide for Part 1 says,

"You may apply for reexamination at any time. However, notification of eligibility will not be sent to the Prometric Contact Center until at least 85 days have lapsed from the last attempt. When the notification of eligibility has been sent to Prometric, an e-mail (or letter via U.S. mail if no e-mail address is on file) will be sent to the candidate instructing him/her to call the Prometric Contact Center at 800.688.5804 to schedule an examination appointment. A minimum of 90 days must separate a candidate's reexaminations on the NBDE Part I."

Do they mean that if someone takes the exam in october 2009 and pass it he can take another exam in 2010 if he submits an application before Jan 2010?"

I got this reply.

If an application is submitted in 2009 the candidate will have 12 months in which they may sit for the examination starting the date the application was processed. Starting in 2010 candidates who have passed an examination will not be eligible to apply for re-examination.

What does this mean?

can we reapply before 2010 even if 90 days have not passed? My exam is on Oct 16. I am planning to reapply in Nov as soon as get my results (if they are not satisfactory). i think they will process application but not send prometric the eligibility letter before Jan 16. Any thoughts on this, guys?
You cannot sit for the exam in 2009 if 90 days have not passed. The trick is can you apply in 2009 and sit for the exam in 2010. I am not sure at all. And am really curious.

Sorry that I couldnt help :(

we've discussed this matter at length here at SDN and no one seems to know for sure..not even the ADA!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since your exam is on Oct 16 you might get your result in the November at that point of time you will know if you need to retake the exam or not If you have to retake the exam then you need to reapply ASAP and you should be okay to take the exam in 2010. This is what I understood from their website and going thru the blogs. But why do you think you will need to take the exam again before even writing the exam, I agree you need to be prepared but my suggestion would be to study and do the exam well during this attempt instead of thinking about writing it again.

All the best...!!

thank you La fea, BombayBDS, hydentist for sharing your opinion.

I am writing the exam for sure. But the competition is fierce. So i am sure everyone is looking for a back-up plan. If ADA would confirm this, then i guess there will be a madness to retake this yr. that is why they r not confirming.