Will the military muck up plans for specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SanOnofre2002

Huge member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cut and pasted this from another thread cause it's buried too deep there.
I'm still a bit unsure about the process of entering a specialty after school. Assuming you're a top notch student and competitive to get a specialty program, is the Navy going to kill your plan b/c they need you as a GP? This link http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/pages/n...talliaison.htm
says it's rare to get in and only 5 out of 70 HPSP students were permitted to defer to a residency. Do you think that's b/c only 5 out of 70 were accepted into a program or were some some poor sods denied their specialty?
I'm mostly interested in this for the navy but if you know about the air force too I'd like to hear. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thats exactly what that means, welcome to the military. From what Ive heard specialties and extra training are used as retention devices. They wan to come and be a navy dentist first, so that after your contract is up after 3-5 years they can offer a specialty as an incintive. Its just the nature of the beast, pay for your school and they basically own you. Thats not saying that they definately wont allow you to specialize, I think Deep Impact is correct that if the Navy needs the specialty that you are accepted to then youll probably get it, if not then youll probably be denied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats exactly what that means, welcome to the military. From what Ive heard specialties and extra training are used as retention devices. They wan to come and be a navy dentist first, so that after your contract is up after 3-5 years they can offer a specialty as an incintive. Its just the nature of the beast, pay for your school and they basically own you. Thats not saying that they definately wont allow you to specialize, I think Deep Impact is correct that if the Navy needs the specialty that you are accepted to then youll probably get it, if not then youll probably be denied.

Out of the five people accepted into AF OMS residency at the last board, none of us were at the end of our HPSP commitment. Only two of us even did an AEGD-1 residency. The other three practiced/will practice one year as a general dentist. So to say that the military will make you wait until your commitment is up and then offer you a spot is probably incorrect. Although all branches need OMS guys, the Army and Navy are at an even more critical need then the AF. I can only speak for OMS. Dentalmarine maybe correct when it comes to things like ortho or endo.

Out of the five people accepted into AF OMS residency at the last board, none of us were at the end of our HPSP commitment. Only two of us even did an AEGD-1 residency. The other three practiced/will practice one year as a general dentist. .

Say hi to DiFelice for me. He was in my flight at COT, actually FOIC, and recently said he was going into the OMS residency this year. Not sure if he did an AEGD or not....I think he was in Louisiana after COT, but I can't remember. You won't have trouble spotting him...take any Italian from The Godfather, transplant them into modern clothes, and that's him.

So basically whats the deal for specializing w/ the military? I'm only a DS1 but i basically wanna do as well as I can so I at least can have a shot at it. Do most people practice for a bit...then try to get in? Can you get in almost right away? If I wanted to do an AEGD...what type of credentials would I need to get picked (i.e. GPA, board scores, etc.)? Also...my dad was talking to my uncle who is a colonel w/ the AF...he's an MD and i think runs the med group..or something like that..down at Robins. He mentioned something about a 2 yr program that deals w/ oral surgery? Maybe something got lost in translation but I wanted to know if anyone has any info on that as well. Thanks guys!!

Okay, I managed to dig this up from the presentation given at a dental corps conference this year. This is the specialty board result from last year, and should answer some question as to how competitive the process is, at least on the Navy side. It's really not as easy as you think for some specialty programs...but easier than civ programs I suppose. Some of the guys who got in may not have had the best grades, but they were most likely excellent Naval officers with great evals and great recommendations. I'm married to the Navy for at least another 8 years. :)

Specialty
App's
Selected
%
Comprehensive Dentistry
100 %
Endodontics
5 / 1*
46 %
Head and Neck Reconstruction Fellowship

Health Care Administration

JCAHO Fellowship

Maxillofacial Prosthetics

Operative Dentistry
0 %
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
100 %
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
32 %
Oral Medicine
0 %
Orthodontics
2 / 2*
15 %
Pediatric Dentistry
60 %
Periodontics
3 / 2*
23 %
Prosthodontics
50 %
Research
0 %
ACP - General Dentistry
0 / 1*

ACP – Exodontia

So basically whats the deal for specializing w/ the military? I'm only a DS1 but i basically wanna do as well as I can so I at least can have a shot at it. Do most people practice for a bit...then try to get in? Can you get in almost right away? If I wanted to do an AEGD...what type of credentials would I need to get picked (i.e. GPA, board scores, etc.)? Also...my dad was talking to my uncle who is a colonel w/ the AF...he's an MD and i think runs the med group..or something like that..down at Robins. He mentioned something about a 2 yr program that deals w/ oral surgery? Maybe something got lost in translation but I wanted to know if anyone has any info on that as well. Thanks guys!!

I think there was something lost in translation. The two year program is the AEGD-2 program. After completing this, you are a "comprehensive dentist". You take a board exam like other specialties and receive specialty pay. You take out impacted thirds and place implants, but definitly are not an oral surgeon. You would do sedation, but most likely you would have already been credentialed through the AEGD-1 program. Most, if not all, AEGD-2's have already went through the AEGD-1. The "2" program is held either at Lackland or Bethesda with the Navy.

I did the "1" program, then applied right after. I start OMS next May and would have practiced 2 years as a general dentist after residency. You can apply for OMS and a few others your forth year of dental school (perio, pros, pedo), but for OMS at least, you will probably practice at least one year as a general dentist.

There is no distinction between civilian and military residencies correct? For ex, will an OMS residency in the AF also be recognized in the civilian world?

The AEGD programs on the other hand count for nothing except great experience...is that right?

There is no distinction between civilian and military residencies correct? For ex, will an OMS residency in the AF also be recognized in the civilian world?

The AEGD programs on the other hand count for nothing except great experience...is that right?

Yes. All Military residency programs are accredited by the ADA. Some may be better than others, just like in the civilian world.

Yes, the AEGD-1 is for nothing but "experience". If you complete the AEGD-2 you can become "boarded" as a comprehensive dentist.

I noticed someone said there were 6 OMS slots for Army each year. Does anyone happen to know how many Air Force OMS slots are available/year?

Additionally, what I've gathered from talking to people is that if you have relatively competitive credentials, you can qualify for a Pros or Perio residency with Air Force. I've also heard that landing an OMS residency is much more challenging but still significantly easier than as a civilian. I haven't heard too much about Pedo and Endo residency programs through the Air Force, though. Does anyone know anything about these specialties and how difficult it is to qualify for them?

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

I noticed someone said there were 6 OMS slots for Army each year. Does anyone happen to know how many Air Force OMS slots are available/year?

Additionally, what I've gathered from talking to people is that if you have relatively competitive credentials, you can qualify for a Pros or Perio residency with Air Force. I've also heard that landing an OMS residency is much more challenging but still significantly easier than as a civilian. I haven't heard too much about Pedo and Endo residency programs through the Air Force, though. Does anyone know anything about these specialties and how difficult it is to qualify for them?

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

I know you can get into a pros residency for sure. When I was down at COT a guy who had just graduated from dschool got into the 3 yr pros residency w/ the AF...so i know for sure thats possible