will the economy send more dentists towards the military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koobpheej

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Of course. 15+ years ago they didn't even have to offer scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can bet that a poor economy will drive many people into the military out of necessity. I got out of the military and into private practice just in time for the "Jimmy Carter Years"--and for those of you too young to remember, it was a depressed ecomomy, interest rates of 21% or better and high unemployment--and oh yes, complete disregard for the military. Sounds like the next four years with Obama--but back to the topic. You could only get into the AF at that time if you were in the top 10% of your class. So, if you think that the upcoming recession/depression will be a bad one, and from what you hear it will be--you might want to get those applications in early--and I'm not kidding. Been there, done that, as they say.

I believe it has already kept some from getting out of the military.

You are right, I get a weekly update from the NAVY (I am on the HPSP) and they were saying that alot of people had said they were getting out and then last minute they decided not to, most likely due to the economy

A war will also keep people away from the military and make some leave. You may see this more in the services with more war time comittments like Army.

You should see more increases in the gaurd than you will in active duty.

If there was a large increase in applicants projected the bonuses and scholarships would be reducing.