Will Smoking Pot Be a Problem if I Want to Be a Physician?

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been thinking a lot about medical school. i'm a freshman in college and am starting to get my classes in order and everything.

i've been smoking pot for probably a year now. not really every day, but normally 3-5 days a week. since i started college my grades have gone up considerably (from like B's and C's in high school to straight A's), i've been motivated to study all the time, and i've come to like school a lot.

my question is, am i going to run into any problems with smoking pot in the future if this is what i decide i want to do? i would assume a majority of people wouldn't want their doctor to smoke, but if and where does drug testing come into the picture?
You are obviously an intelligent and thoughtful person, which is great. I think you already know that the best thing to do would be to stop smoking pot altogether. As I see it, there are three possible categories of problems that you are likely to run into if you continue to smoke pot:

1. Legal problems. I will be the first to concede that US drug laws are ridiculously draconian, particularly the penalties for people who are users and not sellers. Be that as it may, smoking pot is illegal in this country, and if you get caught and convicted of a drug-related felony, it may seriously jeopardize your opportunity to ever become a physician. As far as I know, most med schools do not give drug tests to medical students right now, but things may be different in several years by the time you are ready to start medical school. Some hospitals have already begun drug testing residents and physicians, so there is a real possibility of being tested and caught at some point in your training.

2. Health issues. Even if pot were legal, I'd still strongly encourage you to quit just because of the bad effects that smoking pot can have on your own health. Some of the long-term effects of pot smoking include decreased motivation and problems with learning and memory. Obviously, those are not good impairments to have if you want to go to medical school!

3. Social repercussions. You made an interesting comment that you thought most people would not want their doctor to smoke pot. I think you are correct about that. Fair or not, many people in our society look down on those who use pot and other illegal drugs as being "deviants" or of poor moral character. People also hold physicians and even medical students to a higher standard. We are expected to look and behave like professionals. The strong disapproval of your patients and colleagues could greatly affect your ability to practice medicine effectively.

I hope this answer was helpful, and best of luck to you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

there are MANY medical students and physicians who do smoke pot.

there are MANY MORE who don't.

Q laid it out pretty well for you. to be honest only you can decide what is right for you. i know many people who have effectively ruined their lives through pot (w/o legal issues). most people don't have a problem however. i know if you're living in california you can (mostly) cross out the legal issue unless you're transporting several ounces...

each to their own.

you need to know what pot does to you and how it effects you. are you able to decide when it is important to study, when to smoke? can you stop smoking for an extended period of time? i made it through college drunk/stoned most of the time with great grades and had a great time. this doesn't mean everyone can do it. i knew when exams came up that books took priority. when i was working, i was not stoned. i was 100% dedicated to my schoolwork. big night out on friday? up til 4:00? didn't matter how ****ty i felt, off to the library the next morning.

to be honest, pot helped me get through some tough times. sure, i was sublimating the real problems, but i'd be lying if i said it didn't help.

i believe that if you can smoke pot and make it through all the hoops that applying to medical school requires, you shouldn't worry about your future ability as a doctor - your concern should be more in the actual GETTING to med school.

keep your nose clean. keep your grades up. don't lose sight of the goal.

What's more important than what you've done in the past is what you've learned from it, and what you intend to do in the future. It sounds like you've turned the corner with this, and I wouldn't let it stand in the way of your ambitions. Hey, if Obama did coke and stands to be the next president, I'd say you'll be just fine!

Be that as it may, smoking pot is illegal in this country, and if you get caught and convicted of a drug-related felony, it may seriously jeopardize your opportunity to ever become a physician. As far as I know, most med schools do not give drug tests to medical students right now, but things may be different in several years by the time you are ready to start medical school. )

This is not quite true. As a third year med student on rotations, many hospitals REQUIRE that you pass a urine drug screen, a criminal background check, and they will check to make sure that you are not a registered pedophile/child sex abuser. This is particularly true for pediatric hospitals, although anyone who comes in contact with small children must pass a similar screen. You may also end up having to rotate through a VA hospital, which is funded by federal money and requires all of its employees (including med students) to undergo a rigorous screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not quite true. As a third year med student on rotations, many hospitals REQUIRE that you pass a urine drug screen, a criminal background check, and they will check to make sure that you are not a registered pedophile/child sex abuser. This is particularly true for pediatric hospitals, although anyone who comes in contact with small children must pass a similar screen. You may also end up having to rotate through a VA hospital, which is funded by federal money and requires all of its employees (including med students) to undergo a rigorous screen.

My experience has been that while not all hospitals conduct a thorough screen, they always have the right to "pop test" you at any time. So it behooves you to stay clean! You're right about the VA being tough though.

As Q mentioned, there can be some severe legal penalties if you get caught that can make your life pretty hard, so if you continue to smoke, be very careful. And realize that even being super careful might not be enough to avoid getting caught.

Aside from the legal consequences, I'm not one who believes smoking pot occasionally is a horrible thing (and certainly not worse than getting plastered regularly). However, it can cause you problems if you're doing it regularly. The fact that you're worried about giving it up and that you already do it 3 to 5 times a week worries me. My husband has a family member who actually is addicted, so that can happen. I also knew people in college who displayed addictive type of behavior toward marijuana and did eventually face academic and personal consequences because of it.

So, yeah, I'd definitely try to cut back to where it's just an occasional and not a regular thing. Stopping altogether would be even safer. It sounds like you're using pot as an adaptive mechanism, and you're really going to need to find a more healthy outlet.

Congrats on doing so much better at school!

A lot of US medical schools perform background checks before you start clinical rotations, there are some who perform drug testing. Someone who smokes cannabis with regularity does not belong in the medical profession.

Note: I approved the last post although it contained the "does not belong in the medical profession" line that I do not think is a useful comment. I did so because it was qualified by the term "regularity" and because in this case, I felt it was an opinion the OP should hear. However, I won't post any rants about pot smoking or specific posts antagonistic to the OP as that would violate the basic guidelines of this forum.

To the OP: The posts by Q and Doctor Bagel are clear and thorough and reflect my perspective entirely on this as an attending with many years experience. I am drug tested at work and you will be too.

Great responses from Q & Dr.B nothing else really needs to be said on the subject ....
Bravo !

There's one thing that has not been mentioned yet in terms of legal issues. I assume that state licensing boards and the DEA will ask about any drug convictions when you apply for your state license and DEA number. A drug convinction could cause serious problems.

There's one thing that has not been mentioned yet in terms of legal issues. I assume that state licensing boards and the DEA will ask about any drug convictions when you apply for your state license and DEA number. A drug convinction could cause serious problems.

Of note, on the application for a private medical license in the great state of Tennessee (to which I just applied for private medical licensure) they also ask if you currently use any illicit substances or if you use alcohol to excess. I know 99.999999% of people who really do use would never openly disclose that on a questionnaire. But if you are using and it comes out in some way through drug screens or god forbid a drug conviction and you lied about it on your application, then that shines a pretty bad light on your moral character and such.

Just another something to think about.

And I am totally in agreement with the post above about draconian drug laws, but they are still laws nonetheless. I would just as much prefer that my personal physician or surgeon smoke a joint on the weekend every now and then as opposed to drinking enough booze to float a war ship but in this country one is illegal and one is not. Maybe one day that will change but as of today I would highly (no pun intended) recommend that you do your best to stay within the limits of the law lest you jeopardize your future as a physician.

Or maybe you could just smoke your pot as you wish and shoot for that Ph.D instead. That may well fit better with the future lifestyle you may want if you are the type of person who likes to get high occasionally. I honestly haven't met but maybe one or two people who smoke pot and can maintain the motivation to pursue a lifestyle like medicine. Maybe something more laid back like Ph.D would fit you well? Just another thought.

This is a little bit of a side note, but I find it Ironic that I have NEVER been tested for drugs at my medical school or any of my away rotations. I am in the military, so I have been tested prior to commission, but not at the rotations I did at military hospitals. I have been at a VA and a community hospital in addition to three teaching hospitals and have access to narcotics and many drugs with street value, yet I have not been checked.

The irony is that I WAS tested on multiple occasions for my high school jobs at McDonalds and Target.

I wasn't going to post anything that hasn't been said.

don't smoke pot. the day will come when you get into a pissing contest (no pun intended) with somebody, and it's usually over money.

They'll claim you're irrational and ask you to take a drug screen.

A politician once told me the most efficent way to win an election is get your opponent indicted.

I have heard that once a person has been convicted of a drug-related offense they are no longer eligible for federal financial aid. That could definitely stand in your way of pursuing medical education.

I have heard that once a person has been convicted of a drug-related offense they are no longer eligible for federal financial aid. That could definitely stand in your way of pursuing medical education.

They've actually eased it up a little bit, but it's definitely an issue. If you've ever filled out a FAFSA, you know that they ask if you've ever been convinced of a drug related offense. Here the FAQ from FAFSA about it --

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/faq003.htm#faq003_5

Basically the issue arises if the conviction comes from a period when you're receiving federal financial aid. If it is, you have to complete a rehab program. I think drug offenses used to completely block you from receiving financial aid.

But even if you can pay for school, you've got to get in first, and having a drug offense (either legal or administrative from your school) has to be a big barrier.

There are a few medical schools that do drug test upon acceptance/prior to matriculation. I know that Mount Sinai sends a drug screening requirement with their letter of acceptance.

My experience has been that while not all hospitals conduct a thorough screen, they always have the right to "pop test" you at any time. So it behooves you to stay clean! You're right about the VA being tough though.

I just wanted to add to this a bit. I currently work for the VA as a research assistant in one of its hospitals in New England. We are theoretically subject to random tests, but in the year plus I've been here, I don't know of anyone who has had one. I previously worked for a VA hospital in New Jersey for nearly three years, and it was much of the same.

However, from what I understand from the higher-ups, if you're suspected of using, or you've drawn the ire of your supervisors, or if budget cuts are looming on the horizon, you will get "randomly" tested.

It's really a big risk to take, for what it's worth.

there are MANY medical students and physicians who do smoke pot.

you need to know what pot does to you and how it effects you. are you able to decide when it is important to study, when to smoke? can you stop smoking for an extended period of time? i made it through college drunk/stoned most of the time with great grades and had a great time. this doesn't mean everyone can do it. i knew when exams came up that books took priority. when i was working, i was not stoned. i was 100% dedicated to my schoolwork. big night out on friday? up til 4:00? didn't matter how ****ty i felt, off to the library the next morning.

you're my hero.

also..."Some of the long-term effects of pot smoking include decreased motivation and problems with learning and memory. Obviously, those are not good impairments to have if you want to go to medical school!"
Those are only effects that come with smoking regularly. if you quit all together the decreased motivation and problems with learning and memory usually dissipate when you quit. unfortunately, ive definitely seen some ppl who seem to have completely smoked themselves stupid. i'm convinced this was from years of smoking nonstop tho

Not sure if this applies to anyone here, but in the UK once you get in to med school you are screened for practically everything.Think its a new thing here.

Smoking pot is stupid, just stop.