Will receiving a "C" hurt my my chances of residencies/fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheepcheep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN Community,

I am currently a second year pharmacy student at UNC and I recently received a C in one of my therapeutics courses, which I realize is extremely off-putting to many residency and fellowship programs. I definitely have reflected on my mistakes and will make sure that something like this doesn't happen again. My GPA is currently a 3.55, which isn't too impressive as I'm hoping to apply to some highly competitive programs come fourth year. I was wondering if my C would be considered a deal breaker when I'm applying to these programs and if there is anything I can do to amend my past mistakes. I currently have paid hospital and laboratory positions, am involved in multiple school organizations with a few leadership positions, and am doing research. If I raise my GPA and guarantee no more C's in the future, is there still a chance for me to be considered, even at some of the top and most selective programs? Also, if any of you have other suggestions on what I can do to improve my chances, it will be much appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

When I was a resident, we just looked at overall GPA to select applicants for our program. 3.55 is fine.