will post bacc hurt my gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN wants 2 B MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched this site for anyone in my situation and couldn't find any answers. I've been a nurse for 4 years and working full-time, I recently graduated with my BSN with a 3.95, summa cum laude. I haven't taken any of the pre-med courses or the MCAT. I'm planning to attend a post bacc program (CSUF). I want to make sure that I am making the best decision. Is this the best choice for me? Any suggestions, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I've searched this site for anyone in my situation and couldn't find any answers. I've been a nurse for 4 years and working full-time, I recently graduated with my BSN with a 3.95, summa cum laude. I haven't taken any of the pre-med courses or the MCAT. I'm planning to attend a post bacc program (CSUF). I want to make sure that I am making the best decision. Is this the best choice for me? Any suggestions, thanks in advance!

If I may be frank, I'm not quite sure what your other choices would even be besides attending a postbac, if you want to go to med school.

newmansown - thanks. I've read some posts saying Not to get into postbacc programs since not very many get really great grades due to the class load. My other option would be to take the pre-med courses on my own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you plan on working during your post-bacc? The only way I would do a formal post-bacc is if they have some stats on how many of there students got accepted into med school or if they have a linkage program. I'm not familiar with CSUF, so I can't say anything about their quality.

I'm not sure the real benefit of a formal post-bacc that doesn't have a linkage to med school. Probably the majority of people do an informal post-bacc at a state school, I would avoid community college. Obviously the benefit of the informal program is that you can take the pre-reqs at your pace to ensure A's and still have time to volunteer (even tho you have clinical experience they want to see that you help your community).

Hope this helps! Good luck!

beckhunter-I plan to work 2/8 hour shifts per week at the most if I get into the post bacc program. CSUF says that about 88% of their students have gotten into med schools. It doesnt have linkage to a med school. Thanks for throwing in the volunteer factor. I thought that the only reason why people were doing that was to show that they know what they're getting into. I didn't think that I would have to be doing volunteer work because I have been in many different clinical settings and know what the job entails, so thanks so much for that advice.

No problem, since you have been exposed to so much in the clinical setting your volunteering can be in anything, but I have heard that it is good and shows how "well-rounded" you are and don't forget to shadow a doctor. It's one of those things that I think they just like to see no matter what you have done prior to applying to med school.

88% is a pretty good number, have you seen a list of where they have gone to medical school. I would just be leary if there were a lot of people going the the carribean.

My only other consideration would be cost; however, for you that may not be a big deal.

beckhunter- No, I haven't seen a list of the schools, good point that regarding the carribean schools. I'll have to request that and do more research regarding my options. The cost is a factor for me, but it's not that bad at CSUF because since its a cal state, its less than 3k per semester. Yes, I better start making friends with the MDs at work so I can shadow them! It's so nice to get replies that are tailored for my situation thanks again!

I've read some posts saying Not to get into postbacc programs since not very many get really great grades due to the class load

This has popped up twice now here on the post-bac forum and i'm not sure why or where it comes from.

Let's be honest - if you can't handle the classload of the pre-reqs (which to be fair, are pretty easy), then maybe you aren't cut out for med school.

This has popped up twice now here on the post-bac forum and i'm not sure why or where it comes from.

Let's be honest - if you can't handle the classload of the pre-reqs (which to be fair, are pretty easy), then maybe you aren't cut out for med school.

Ok, I think the pre-req classes are easily doable, but to say they are easy is demeaning. I think the largest difference between science classes vs. other types of classes is the amount of studying required. I did pretty much no studying for other classes and I had to learn study skills. Also, I'm sure in every pre-req class that everyone of us has taken there are plenty of people who do poorly or even fail--yes those people are not cut out for med school, but they aren't that easy otherwise every applicant would have a 4.0.

Wow - demeaning - you took it to place I didn't think was possible.

I hate to say it but if you struggle with intro-sciences, how do you think you are going to handle upper level biochem, histo and other such courses related to med school?

You don't have to get As, but if you struggle to pull a B+ or better in intro science classes, not sure how one would fair in upper level/MS classes.

It's not demeaning, its just how it is.

Ok, I think the pre-req classes are easily doable, but to say they are easy is demeaning. I think the largest difference between science classes vs. other types of classes is the amount of studying required. I did pretty much no studying for other classes and I had to learn study skills. Also, I'm sure in every pre-req class that everyone of us has taken there are plenty of people who do poorly or even fail--yes those people are not cut out for med school, but they aren't that easy otherwise every applicant would have a 4.0.

I agreed with you that they can't handle med school. I just stated that you phrased things in such a way that if people have to do something like study or try to get the A or B in a class that they should somehow feel poorly about themselves. That was what was demeaning about your statement. You probably didn't mean it that way, I was just pointing out that when you take the pre-reqs they require more effort than other non-science classes.

Some ppl need more work in science classes than others - like I sucked at orgo but found bio easier. Everyone is diff.

i guess one can read a simple statement in whichever way they want...

My basic point was that, if you are afraid of doign a post-bacc (and the pre-reqs) because you won't do well and it'll hurt your application. You probably not cut out for MS anyways.

I think it's a matter of when you want to be challenged. Personally, I'm mostly with robflanker that you shouldn't be afraid to go all-in for your postbac -- no sense in tip-toeing around when you could be building up a bit of confidence (which you'll desperately need) for medical school.

But hey, if you trust yourself to be able to handle the surge in intensity when the time comes, by all means, take your time with the pre-reqs -- as long as you can explain to an admissions committee why you chose to take it slow, if they ask.

The prereqs are not easy, but I will say that if you struggle with every ounce of strength and intellect you have to do well in them, you'll be in trouble come med school.

Some ppl need more work in science classes than others - like I sucked at orgo but found bio easier. Everyone is diff.

i guess one can read a simple statement in whichever way they want...

My basic point was that, if you are afraid of doign a post-bacc (and the pre-reqs) because you won't do well and it'll hurt your application. You probably not cut out for MS anyways.

sounds like someone is bitter they don't have a 3.95 gpa and that is a simple statement. rob, stop trying to scare potential med school students off so you don't have to compete with that 3.95 gpa come application time. The real question to the OP is where did you get that nursing degree? Every college or university that offers a BSN includes Bio I,II AP I,II, Ionorganic chemistry I,II organic chemistry I and micro as core classes before you start the upper level nursing classes. The OP should only need to take OC II and physics. That is 3 classes and a lot cheaper than taking a postbac. Take the 3 classes at a local college or university and do well. DO NOT DO POSTBAC if you only need these 3 classes. If you need bio and the rest of teh pre-reqs, you may need to check amcas to see if your school is accrediated or that 3.95 GPA won't count. Good luck OP!:luck:

I think it's a matter of when you want to be challenged. Personally, I'm mostly with robflanker that you shouldn't be afraid to go all-in for your postbac -- no sense in tip-toeing around when you could be building up a bit of confidence (which you'll desperately need) for medical school.

But hey, if you trust yourself to be able to handle the surge in intensity when the time comes, by all means, take your time with the pre-reqs -- as long as you can explain to an admissions committee why you chose to take it slow, if they ask.

The prereqs are not easy, but I will say that if you struggle with every ounce of strength and intellect you have to do well in them, you'll be in trouble come med school.

Fear has nothing to do with it. its the cost. Why get a loan for 30-40k on top of your 180k med school loan. Only do this if you have no choice. (GPA <3.3, mcat <26, etc...)

With your GPA, I would take the classes on my own, volunteer and work those 2/8 hr shifts.

I'm not bitter about my GPA Navy. I'm very much ok with the amount of wok I did and what grade I received. Nor am I trying to scare potential med school students, Newmansown did a better job summarising it.

Oh and IF the OP only has to do the classes you claimed, then they aren't eligible for most Post-Baccs. But seen as they didn't, we have to assume that they haven't done them.

But thanks for the hostility.

Fear has nothing to do with it. its the cost. Why get a loan for 30-40k on top of your 180k med school loan. Only do this if you have no choice. (GPA <3.3, mcat <26, etc...)

Please read post #3 (the OP's second post). An excerpt:

"I've read some posts saying Not to get into postbacc programs since not very many get really great grades due to the class load. My other option would be to take the pre-med courses on my own."

The OP is not worried about finances. (S)he is worried about the full-time class load affecting his/her GPA -- this is a common sentiment expressed by many fearful folks getting ready to start med school preparations.

Also, I'm not sure why you're talking about going to a postbac only if you have a certain GPA or MCAT score. The OP made it clear (s)he has not taken the medical prerequisites. I attended the Bryn Mawr program with several BSNs who had not taken more than one or two semesters of the prereqs -- they were (obviously) quite eligible for the formal program.

sounds like someone is bitter they don't have a 3.95 gpa and that is a simple statement. rob, stop trying to scare potential med school students off so you don't have to compete with that 3.95 gpa come application time. The real question to the OP is where did you get that nursing degree? Every college or university that offers a BSN includes Bio I,II AP I,II, Ionorganic chemistry I,II organic chemistry I and micro as core classes before you start the upper level nursing classes. The OP should only need to take OC II and physics. That is 3 classes and a lot cheaper than taking a postbac. Take the 3 classes at a local college or university and do well. DO NOT DO POSTBAC if you only need these 3 classes. If you need bio and the rest of teh pre-reqs, you may need to check amcas to see if your school is accrediated or that 3.95 GPA won't count. Good luck OP!:luck:

I know my undergrad had a BSN degree and they did not take the same science classes that a bio major (pre-med) needs to apply to professional school.

I would say that if you have the passion to be a doctor, and are truly interested in going into the field, don't let the fact that you are not strong in science deter you. The truth is that doing well in these courses is 99 percent perspiration, and one percent innate talent. Sure, there are some people who don't have to do 1/10 of the work you put in to do well in a class. But, you should not be comparing yourself to them. In this sense, I would say that if you are focused 100 percent on doing well in your pre-reqs, you WILL do well. Maybe not perfectly, but the perspiration will pay off. So don't doubt yourself so much, you never know how well you will perform, even with a tough load of courses. Med school will be much tougher than the pre-med courseload, so you might as well get used to putting in that much work now. It won't be as tough getting used to once you start med school.

If you are worried about course load do your post bacc over two years and don't take more than 2 sciences at a time. Your overall GPA is great but you need a strong science GPA as well so take your time and don't try to pack too much in if you think it will give you problems. I doubt it will come up but if anyone asks why didn't you do full time post bacc work just say you were working and volunteering.