Will my step 1 hold me back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent1718

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to turn this into a WAMC thread, but I have not found much information regarding the IR/DR match outside of residency explorer. I am a incoming forth year medical student applying to the 2021-2022 match and I'm not sure how competitive I am.

Current Status: Rising MS-4
School: US MD
Step 1:
247 (obviously good but in relation to IR)
Step 2: 27x
Clinical: H/HP/P/F 4/6 honors
Class rank: Unknown
AOA/GHHS: AOA unknown
Research:
-3 peer reviewed publications all pubmed indexed (2 case reports, 1 original paper in light research)
-4-5 abstracts/posters at various school and national conferences related to projects above
-Potential book chapter in IR
-SIR member and reserves member
-2-3 leadership opportunities and teaching experience

Working on letters. Am I able to swing IR? What programs should I target (community vs. academic)? What types of DR programs should I target?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have great stats. From my school, people with your stats match in top academic programs.

Cast a wide net for academics and dual apply. You’ll be able to get IR or ESIR
Thanks! When you say the bolded, do you mean for DR and IR or just DR?

I don't want to turn this into a WAMC thread, but I have not found much information regarding the IR/DR match outside of residency explorer. I am a incoming forth year medical student applying to the 2021-2022 match and I'm not sure how competitive I am.

Current Status: Rising MS-4
School: US MD
Step 1:
247 (obviously good but in relation to IR)
Step 2: 27x
Clinical: H/HP/P/F 4/6 honors
Class rank: Unknown
AOA/GHHS: AOA unknown
Research:
-3 peer reviewed publications all pubmed indexed (2 case reports, 1 original paper in light research)
-4-5 abstracts/posters at various school and national conferences related to projects above
-Potential book chapter in IR
-SIR member and reserves member
-2-3 leadership opportunities and teaching experience

Working on letters. Am I able to swing IR? What programs should I target (community vs. academic)? What types of DR programs should I target?
You can tell from Residency Explorer, based on NRMP Charting Outcomes, that a 247 Step 1 is exactly the mean for matched IR/DR applicants, and 27x Step 2 is above average.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can tell from Residency Explorer, based on NRMP Charting Outcomes, that a 247 Step 1 is exactly the mean for matched IR/DR applicants, and 27x Step 2 is above average.
Is residency explorer data student reported? That's why I was a little suspicious. Is there anything else I can do to improve application.

Is residency explorer data student reported? That's why I was a little suspicious. Is there anything else I can do to improve application.
NRMP Charting Outcomes data on Step scores is student reported, and the response rate is majority. NRMP asks schools to verify the student-submitted information is accurate, but whether schools do so in detail is not clear to me. They do not get the data from AAMC. I am not sure if Residency Explorer uses AAMC-provided Step data but I actually doubt it.