Will my personality prevent me from becoming a doctor?

Isocrates

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a genuine desire to become a doctor; even still, I am beginning to realize that my personality issues will make me somewhat unsuitable for the medical field. I tend to be cynical, depressed, awkward, and unsociable (because of these characteristics, I have no friends).

Although it is possible that I will mature over the next few years, I struggle to imagine how I could cope in any medical specialty that involves daily interaction with patients.

With everything that I have stated, do my ambitions seem unrealistic? Is it possible for a person such as myself to find success in this field?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a genuine desire to become a doctor; even still, I am beginning to realize that my personality issues will make me somewhat unsuitable for the medical field. I tend to be cynical, depressed, awkward, and unsociable (because of these characteristics, I have no friends).

Although it is possible that I will mature over the next few years, I struggle to imagine how I could cope in any medical specialty that involves daily interaction with patients.

With everything that I have stated, do my ambitions seem unrealistic? Is it possible for a person such as myself to find success in this field?

The only thing that'll prevent you from becoming a doctor is lack of hard work, determination and faith. You'll learn how to interact with others, I was the same way and you have to step out of your comfort zone once in awhile. You have many years ahead of you, and I wouldn't worry so much about it now. You're fine. :)

No. You will mature. I've gotten much better at talking to people in the past 3 months or so. I've been shadowing doctors and volunteering in the hospital. It has sort of forced me to learn how to socialize. 4 months ago everybody I knew was telling me I couldn't become a doctor because I'm too anti-social. I will just have to prove them wrong. I'm not anti-social. I just don't find the need to blather on about trivial minutia.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't let this stop you. Having a conversation with patients is much different than just striking up a convo with a random person. You both have an agenda for the conversation. It might take you a bit to get over it at first but it will get easier.

Survivor DO

Take advantage of your college pre-med years to learn to improve your skills by visitn professors during office hours, participating in research, and genreal communicating with your peers.

Might be a tall order but that's the only way along with hard work.

You'll grow immensely during undergrad and likely gain at least the minimum social skills necessary to be a successful doctor.

I think it is absolutely within your ability to become a doctor as long as you put in the effort. This means not just doing well in classes but also making it a goal of yours to work on your social skills. My mom is a physician and always preaches that having social intelligence is one of the things that all great doctors have. This doesn't mean you have to be a social butterfly, but you should be able to communicate and empathize with others. Also, like others have said, you have plenty of time to grow as an individual. :)

It's not a question of whether you'll grow to gain the abilities of interacting with others. But whether you will enjoy it enough to make a career out of it.

Also no friends? That's a bit... Schizotypal.

It's not a question of whether you'll grow to gain the abilities of interacting with others. But whether you will enjoy it enough to make a career out of it.

Very true.

Also, have you considered trying a health-related occupation that doesn't involve as much communication? I think pharmacy may be one? I'm not sure, but that's just something to think about.

Yeah that's what I was gonna say. In my experience the issue is less that you won't make it through the process, it's that you'll be miserable.
Think of it this way. You should be able to make it into med school if you're social enough to be able to keep it together for a few hours at an interview. And by keep it together I mean- just be professional and non-crazy. You don't have to be an extrovert or even particularly warm, just professional and not apparently a serial killer. If your grades and MCAT scores are good enough to land you an interview, and your interview isn't a complete car wreck, you'll get in (yes, I know there's more to getting into med school than grades, but in my experience you can be pretty good at research while being pretty socially incompetent, and you don't have to say much while you're shadowing either). So ok, you've gotten into med school, maybe even a pretty good med school since you had good grades/scores and good research experience (don't need to be a people person for any of that).

The first two years of med school go smoothly because its basically the same deal. You study hard, you work hard, you're not mr popular but whatever, you're used to it and you don't need a ton of friends. You find another quiet and studious person to work with and that'll be your med school buddy, and that's all good. Trust me when I tell you, your situation is NOT unique, i can think of at least a handful of people who fit your description and they're friends with each other. Because you've been working hard, you do well on Step 1, you start third year. So far so good.

Now we've got a problem. You know a lot, but you're not great with people. Yes, you've had some practice, but it's still not what you love to do, it's not your comfort zone. Other people are way more comfortable now than they were in the classroom, while you were way more comfortable in the classroom than you are now. You're having to talk to patients all day every day, and they're asking you awkward questions you don't know how to answer. You're put on the spot on rounds or in the OR on a daily basis. And the worst of it is- your grade depends on the subjective evaluation of people. Suddenly, people liking you or not has a bearing on how you actually do academically. More importantly, you may realize that being surrounded by people just isn't your thing. It doesn't make you happy at all.

Here's the thing. You CAN go into something like radiology or pathology, but the job markets for those are terrible at the moment and you'll still have to go through both med school and residency requiring a good amount of social interaction. Those are the only two in which you genuinely can be a loner- the rest require some amount of teamwork and such.

So rather than thinking about whether your personality will prevent you from getting into med school or whatever, I'd think about to what extent it makes you unhappy to be in those kinds of uncomfortable situations- because it'll happen a lot.

I wouldn't let this stop you. Having a conversation with patients is much different than just striking up a convo with a random person. You both have an agenda for the conversation. It might take you a bit to get over it at first but it will get easier.

Survivor DO

:thumbup:

After the first little bit of interaction with a patient things get much easier. At first it's generally good to joke around a little bit first though. Make things lighter. Unless your patient is about to have an acute myocardial infarction. loljk

Another option is always going to a psychologist or counselor for behavioral training and or figuring out if your personality is just asocial and that you find isolation pleasant. If you go to a school with a clinical program then chances are your school offers services like this for free or cheap.

But the question is whether or not you really have no friends and find human interactions to be unpleasant. Or that you actually have friends, but prefer isolation.

@serenade

It is somewhat extreme to characterize my personality as "schizotypal." You have to be 18+ to get diagnosed with a personality disorder in the first place (and I seriously doubt that I am on the schizophrenic spectrum). However, depression is certainly common in my family; many of my relatives (including my father) seem to struggle with it...........

My lack of friends could be partially attributed to the non-traditional educational pathway that I have taken throughout "high school." I have been homeschooled for most of my childhood; because I was never a part of any homeschooling groups/co-ops, I had very little social interaction. Now, at my current age, I am dual-enrolled in homeschool and a local community college (and yes, I realize that most medical schools will not accept my community college credits; I am taking courses at a community college solely to make up for my lack of AP courses). Although I think that my transcript may raise eyebrows when I begin to enter the college application process, I seriously doubt that it will hinder me in any way (my grades and standardized testing scores are still relatively good).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@serenade

It is somewhat extreme to characterize my personality as "schizotypal." You have to be 18+ to get diagnosed with a personality disorder in the first place (and I seriously doubt that I am on the schizophrenic spectrum). However, depression is certainly common in my family; many of my relatives (including my father) seem to struggle with it...........

My lack of friends could be partially attributed to the non-traditional educational pathway that I have taken throughout "high school." I have been homeschooled for most of my childhood; because I was never a part of any homeschooling groups/co-ops, I had very little social interaction. Now, at my current age, I am dual-enrolled in homeschool and a local community college (and yes, I realize that most medical schools will not accept my community college credits; I am taking courses at a community college solely to make up for my lack of AP courses). Although I think that my transcript may raise eyebrows when I begin to enter the college application process, I seriously doubt that it will hinder me in any way (my grades and standardized testing scores are still relatively good).

Just to clarify, you can't be diagnosed official until age 18, but that doesn't mean that the pathology starts at age 18.

Just to clarify, you can't be diagnosed official until age 18, but that doesn't mean that the pathology starts at age 18.
According to the American Psychological Association, schizotypal personality disorder is defined as a "pervasive pattern of social and interpersonal deficits marked by acute discomfort with, and reduced capacity for, close relationships as well as by cognitive or perceptual distortions and eccentricities of behavior, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts."

This particular pathology does not start until early adulthood; since I am not an adult, it is relatively safe to assume that I do not currently suffer from an early stage of the disorder.

According to the American Psychological Association, schizotypal personality disorder is defined as a "pervasive pattern of social and interpersonal deficits marked by acute discomfort with, and reduced capacity for, close relationships as well as by cognitive or perceptual distortions and eccentricities of behavior, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts."

This particular pathology does not start until early adulthood; since I am not an adult, it is relatively safe to assume that I do not currently suffer from an early stage of the disorder.

That's because it is a diagnosis that requires solidification of one's personality in order to qualify as a personality disorder. However, again, that doesn't mean that the pathology was not present prior to adulthood, only that the malleability of personality allows for people shift in and out of the spectrum. Also, please note that your quote says beginning by, not in, early adulthood.

Development of schizotypal symptoms following psychiatric disorders in childhood or adolescence.
***el SS, Swaab H, De Sonneville LM, Van Rijn S, Pieterse JK, Scheepers F, Van Engeland H.
Source

Department of Clinical Child and Adolescent Studies, Leiden University, Wassenaarseweg 52, 2300 RB, Leiden, Zuid Holland, The Netherlands, s***[email protected].
Abstract

It was examined how juvenile psychiatric disorders and adult schizotypal symptoms are associated. 731 patients of the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry of the University Medical Centre Utrecht, the Netherlands, with mean age of 12.1 years (SD = 4.0) were reassessed at the mean age of 27.9 years (SD = 5.7) for adult schizotypal symptoms using the Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire-Revised (Vollema, Schizophr Bull 26(3):565-575, 2000). Differences between 13 juvenile DSM categories and normal controls (n = 80) on adult schizotypal total and factor scores were analyzed, using (M)ANCOVA. Pervasive developmental disorders (PDD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorders (ADHD), deferred diagnosis, sexual and gender identity disorders and depressive disorders had higher SPQ total scores when compared to normal controls (p < 0.001). Higher levels of disorganized schizotypal symptoms were found for PDD, ADHD, and deferred diagnosis (p < 0.001). The same diagnostic groups showed higher level of negative schizotypal symptoms, which was likewise true for sexual and gender identity disorders, depressive disorders, disruptive disorders, and the category of 'Other conditions that may be a focus of clinical attention' (p < 0.001). No differences with normal controls were found for adult positive schizotypal symptoms (p < 0.110). The current findings are suggestive of the idea that psychiatric disorders in childhood or adolescence are a more general expression of a liability to schizophrenia spectrum pathology in future life. In addition, specific patterns of adult schizotypal symptomatology are associated with different types of juvenile psychiatric disorder.

Poor nutrition at age 3 and schizotypal personality at age 23: the mediating role of age 11 cognitive functioning.
Venables PH, Raine A.
Source

Department of Psychology, University of York, Heslington, York, United Kingdom. [email protected]
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Poor prenatal nutrition has been associated with schizophrenia spectrum disorders in the Netherlands and China, and it has been suggested that perinatal and postnatal nutritional factors lead to the development of schizophrenia and the exhibition of schizotypal traits later in life. There appears to be no prior research on the existence of possible factors that may mediate the relationship between malnutrition and schizophrenia spectrum disorders or whether this association is a direct one. The authors tested the hypothesis that low IQ mediates the relationship between early childhood malnutrition and adult schizotypal personality.
METHOD:

Participants were drawn from a birth cohort of 1,795 boys and girls who were followed prospectively. Objective indicators of malnutrition (anemia and stunting) were assessed at age 3. Verbal and performance intelligence were assessed at age 11, and schizotypal personality was assessed at age 23.
RESULTS:

Both stunting and anemia at age 3 were associated with low IQ at age 11. Low performance IQ at age 11 was associated with increased interpersonal and disorganized features of schizotypal personality at age 23. Poor performance IQ was found to mediate the relationship between poor nutrition at age 3 and interpersonal and disorganized features of schizotypy at age 23. Findings in female participants were replicated in male participants.
CONCLUSIONS:

Given that poor nutrition is an alterable risk factor, these findings suggest that nutritional enhancements may improve brain functioning and possibly reduce some features of schizotypal personality disorder.[/B

]

Peer victimization as a risk factor for schizotypal personality in childhood and adolescence.
Fung AL, Raine A.
Source

Department of Applied Social Studies, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. [email protected]
Abstract

There has been no prior research on peer victimization and child or adolescent schizotypal personality. This study tests the hypothesis that increased peer victimization is associated with increased schizotypal personality. Schizotypy was assessed using the SPQ-C (Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire-Child) in 3,508 male and female schoolchildren aged 8 to 16 years. All forms of peer victimization (physical, verbal, social manipulation, attack on property) were associated with schizotypal personality in both males and females across all age groups. Significant victimization more than doubled schizotypy scores. It is hypothesized that peer victimization may predispose to paranoid ideation, social anxiety, and lack of close friends, and consequently heightened schizotypal personality.

The differential effects of child abuse and posttraumatic stress disorder on schizotypal personality disorder.
Powers AD, Thomas KM, Ressler KJ, Bradley B.
Source

Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Previous findings suggest a relation between trauma exposure and risk for schizotypal personality disorder (SPD). However, the reasons for this relationship are not well understood. Some research suggests that exposure to trauma, particularly early trauma and child abuse, as well as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) may play a role.
METHODS:

We examined subjects (n = 541) recruited from the primary care clinics of an urban public hospital as part of an National Institute of Mental Health-funded study of trauma-related risk and resilience. We evaluated childhood abuse with the Childhood Trauma Questionnaire and the Early Trauma Inventory and SPD with the Schedule for Nonadaptive and Adaptive Personality. We assessed for lifetime PTSD using the Clinician-Administered PTSD Scale.
RESULTS:

We found that of the 3 forms of abuse analyzed (emotional, physical, and sexual), only emotional abuse significantly predicted SPD (P < .001, R = 0.28) when all 3 abuse types were simultaneously entered into a regression model. Lifetime PTSD symptoms also significantly predicted SPD (P < .001, R = 0.26). Posttraumatic stress disorder was specifically predictive of 4 of the 8 SPD symptoms (P &#8804; .001): excessive social anxiety, a lack of close friends or confidants, unusual perceptual experiences, and eccentric behavior or appearance. Using a Sobel test, we also found a partial mediation effect of PTSD on the relation between emotional abuse and SPD (z = 3.45, P < .001).
CONCLUSIONS:

These findings point to the important influence of emotional abuse on SPD and suggest that PTSD symptoms may provide a link between damaging childhood experiences and SPD symptoms in traumatized adults.

Last edited:
naah, they did that on CC. Needless to say, it didn't last very long. Many can probably usually tell who's the really helpful people by their post count though, or at least that's what I do

@serenade

I'm sorry, my intention was not to critically analyze your personality and determine whether or not you had a disorder or not. I was simply point it out not having any friends is particularly odd, perceive it no different than had I said the weather is bipolar or moody.

That being said, you did leave out the home schooling experience explains why some of these things make more sense. And no don't worry 99% of medical schools accept community college credits.

But yes, as stated above schizotypal symptoms can be present far earlier and the diagnostic criteria is an issue. But again, nothing of the sort is implicitive of whether or not you have schizotypal personality disorder nor precursors to schizophrenia.

That being said, given your nontraditional background, I would recommend you put yourself out there and go interact with people and try to see if you can be comfortable with them, their beliefs which may contradict your own, and etc.

Last edited:
I'll be everyone's friend. :highfive:

Lots of specialities you can get into where patient contact is minimal such as radz, path etc..

We are, somewhat, a product of our environment. Reading the rest of your posts, being home schooled, not much social interaction with peers, driven tends to make you a bit of a different cast to begin with.

While others may be keen to try to pigeon hole you in to a DSM criteria, my assessment is that you might be simply maladjusted. It takes a lot of time and effort to learn to be with people, to relate, and have fun with it. Try working on that for now. Smile, it has been shown just smiling both makes people think you are happier and more interested as well as increases your own affect. Fake it until you make it. Find someone who you think does it well. Perhaps even a mentor you can work with on this. As a physician you will have countless interpersonal interactions both with patients and with other hospital staff. This is something you need to overcome, or at a minimum become better at.

Lots of specialities you can get into where patient contact is minimal such as radz, path etc..

Minimal is the key word here. There is still some patient contact.

Minimal is the key word here. There is still some patient contact.

if you can't handle any patient contact at all..don't be a ****ing medical doctor lol.

3oww4o.jpg

Right... so how's Canada working out for you?