Will my literature publication be meaningful to my medical school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dionysusofhealth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! I appreciate it!

Currently, I'm a freshman, and I recently published some literature research I did in high school which I tweaked and perfected in college and became published in a journal. So I was just wondering: how would this publication look to medical schools considering that it is non-scientific and such?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! I appreciate it!

Currently, I'm a freshman, and I recently published some literature research I did in high school which I tweaked and perfected in college and became published in a journal. So I was just wondering: how would this publication look to medical schools considering that it is non-scientific and such?

Thanks!
I am interested, if you don’t mind, may I read the publication?

I, too, am attempting to submit a publication as an undergraduate in the facet of environmental medicine and ethics. It’s simple survey research, but I would be interested in reading your publication as a fellow premed for insights.

It is not a "publication" like research findings are "publications" but you might want to list it as "research" outside the realm of the sciences.

How is it not a publication? It’s presumably peer reviewed, indexed and goes in a journal?

How is it not a publication? It’s presumably peer reviewed, indexed and goes in a journal?
It is not a report of a research endeavor that involved a testable hypothesis with intro, methods, results, discussion, conclusion. That's what med school adcoms are usually expecting when they see something in the work/activities section that is labeled "publication".

Reactions: 1 users
What is a literature publication? Anything helps - the degree of it helping is just going to depend on what the rest of your application is like and what your overall story is.

It is not a report of a research endeavor that involved a testable hypothesis with intro, methods, results, discussion, conclusion. That's what med school adcoms are usually expecting when they see something in the work/activities section that is labeled "publication".

I think there’s research that’s not under original research that’s definitely considered to be legit publications not just in the premed sphere, but also academia as well

if I was an adcom, I’d weight it more highly than a science publication (assuming a reputable literature journal) because I like eclectic thinkers and I would guess that it took more independent effort than a typical undergrad science publication

if I was an adcom, I’d weight it more highly than a science publication (assuming a reputable literature journal) because I like eclectic thinkers and I would guess that it took more independent effort than a typical undergrad science publication
Similarly I feel it is almost certainly more interesting than the typical level of science publication students manage to obtain. Would much rather discuss.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a literature pub on my app for this cycle...it didn't come up on any of my interviews but I'm sure it helped in one way or another.

I appreciate anyone who can publish anything. It shows good results with writing to the specific audience. If we were talking the AAMC entering competencies: "writing skills, check." At best that is how I value it as an adcom, but there will be more to show on how good your writing skills are in the application that is more valued. That's where I would put my chips for your chances.

Adcoms have many didactic faculty so unless they have a humanities background, it will likely just be a good interesting accomplishment with no weight on "research" from the researchers.