Will my light course load hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FM_bradley

Reaction score
I’m currently attending an online (big name and regionally accredited) university for psychology. I can’t give up a full time salary, so I’m switching from my job in aviation to become a surgical tech - this way, I can gain clinical experience, LOR’s, volunteer opportunities, network, etc.

With that being said, I’ll have to take a light course load. I’ll be attending a physical campus for my prerequisites, working full time, and doing my undergrad classes online. I can assure you my grades will still be fine. With my current job, I’m working roughly 72 hours a week and still have a 3.9. Are my chances going to be hurt if I take a light course load and take 5 and a half years versus 4?

TLDR: since I’ll be working full time in a clinical setting, will a light course load hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really, no. Med schools take into account that your circumstances are challenging... if I were you, I would drop a few lines about having to work full-time in your secondaries/maybe PS... this is also decent interview fodder if they ask about challenges on your journey to med school

since I’ll be working full time in a clinical setting, will a light course load hurt my chances?
The application gives you the opportunity to list your Employment with total hours worked, as well as ECs and their hours of involvement. Adcomms consider the entire load you carry, not just the academic load. So lighter course loads will not hurt you, nor will taking 5.5 years to graduate.

Reactions: 1 user