Medical Will my ECs be good by the beginning of next cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I completed my undergraduate degree this past August and am currently hoping to apply to medical school this upcoming cycle (as of now I’m leaning MD-PhD programs specifically). I’m currently in the midst of an internal debate as to whether or not I will be a solid applicant this coming June and am debating pushing an application back a year. Some advice on the matter would be marvelous.

I’m ORM with a degree in psychology. In terms of pure stats I feel relatively confident with a 518 on the MCAT and a 3.97 GPA (3.93 sGPA). Beyond this, however, I become very hesitant. The majority of my time as an undergraduate was spent doing research.

-1200+ hours over 3 years to an autism lab yielding no posters or presentations
- 250 hours over a summer working on a behavioral task of osteoarthritis which yielded a poster.
-30 hours assisting with the implementation of patient surveys as a tool for physicians and subsequently examining their potential use in detecting adverse effects of medications (ongoing)

Concern #1) My primary lab was a start-up lab, I was actually the first person to join after the PI. The first two years were essentially setting up the lab and running pilot experiments. The third year I was able to independently contribute towards a project and am currently wrestling with trying to draft a manuscript. Is this an acceptable justification for a lack of published works?

To date, my clinical experience and volunteering time is sparse.

-50 hours ED volunteer
-40 hours shadowing family medicine, pediatric genetics, and psychiatry doctors (plan to get some rheumatology time in there at some point)
-25 hours tutoring low income child with ASD and ADHD (ongoing)
-45 hours providing produce to individuals at risk for food insecurity (ongoing)

Since graduating I’ve been taking an EMT course and expect to get my license by mid-January. I’ll be applying to ED tech jobs and failing this will take a job on a private ambulance.

Concern #2) I realize that things could change but if I maintain my current pace I’ll have around 210 hours of non-clinical volunteering by June. Am I on the right track?

Concern #3) I don’t have any plans to do more clinical volunteering. Would working a full- or part-time job in EMS be sufficient?

There are a few other things but what I’ve presented is pretty much the meat and bones of my application so far. Thanks for your time!
Your lack of clinical experience as of right now will be lethal. You will need to get more clinical experience, whether paid or not. Having > 200 nonclinical volunteering hours will be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't disclosed what your research lab was focused on... techniques, hypotheses, size, etc. If you are applying to medical school, your lack of publications won't sink you compared to your relative lack of clinical experience in true hospital settings. You have a lot of patient-facing experience but may need more networking with schools to get a better idea of a match with them. I know you are working on it, but you must be realistic with hours compared to peers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.