Will my application be considered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t1212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a senior and will most likely be graduating by Summer 2016 with a Bachelor of Science and plan to apply for vet school.
My overall GPA is low; currently 2.83
I hope to raise it to a 3.0 by the end of Summer 2016.
I plan to wait a year or two before I apply for vet school and in the meantime will take my GRE after studying for 6 months.
I have +1500 hours of small animal experience and have research experience but not in the science field (psychology).
Since my GPA is far below average, I plan to focus on the GRE and also try to gain some large animal experience.

Will my application even be considered? Does anyone have any other suggestions to improve my application other than post bacc?
Also, do vet schools factor in grades received from summer and winter courses for the last 45 hours?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There's a 'what are my chances' thread that you should post this into instead. There are also some accepted student threads floating around, which you might find helpful. It'll give you a general idea of accepted student stats, as well as some examples of students in similar situations who were accepted. I won't lie - it'll be more difficult to be accepted with a lower gpa, but it has definitely been done! Especially if the rest of your application is strong. There are several people floating around sdn (myself included), who didn't have great gpas but still made it into vet school. :)

Also your summer/winter grades would be factored into your last 45 if they were indeed part of your last 45 hours. I'm only talking about classes that you have fully completed by the time you submit your application though. Since VMCAS is always due in early fall, if you're taking classes that fall/winter, I don't think they count, since most schools will have already gotten through most of the application review by the time you finish off the semester. You generally will send in updated transcripts at the end of your semester though, it just wouldn't be used as part of your initial application review.

Reactions: 1 user