Will my anxiety hinder my chances to get into Med School?

Fai

One who wants to be many
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, I know this sounds weird because I have 6 years to even worry about it but I have crippling anxiety for the most part (I'm going crazy looking for study guides of the MCATs already) and I wonder if that'll be my demise to get into Med School, wether it be the excessive worrying of the MCATs and Med school interviews/admission, would Med schools be turned off with my anxiety? (Or at least, my anxiety history).

And I do realize I'll get some "Live for now and enjoy the freedom you have" comments, and while I do enjoy the free time I have now, sometimes I just have to keep myself distracted with things so anxiety won't get in the way anyway so usually I always have my nose in some book.

Thanks in advance! Hope my medical history won't be much of a deal if it's just pretty bad anxiety.

(Dignosed with G.A.D by a psychiatrist for about 3 years now)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you take your medicine for GAD? If you keep up with your treatment, I don't think it will be a problem for you.

As of right now, no. I was on Lexapro for a year and a half and improved greatly though until a sudden side-effect occurred. That, and for some reason I'm paranoid of Sertonin Syndrome. But I will go back on probably next month anyway.

I just find it weird if a Med school interviewer can check my medical history and see my GAD and knows I want to be a Psychiatrist, if the interviewer would find that speciality "unfitting" for me since I have something that a Psych could treat.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now, no. I was on Lexapro for a year and a half and improved greatly though until a sudden side-effect occurred. That, and for some reason I'm paranoid of Sertonin Syndrome. But I will go back on probably next month anyway.

I just find it weird if a Med school interviewer can check my medical history and see my GAD and knows I want to be a Psychiatrist, if the interviewer would find that speciality "unfitting" for me since I have something that a Psych could treat.

I would follow the advice of your psychiatrist. GAD is a treatable illness and it shouldn't hinder you in any significant way if you are mindful of it and compliant with your psychiatrist's direction. As far as the second paragraph, this is a scenario that will never happen. As far as I know, interviewers don't see your medical history. In fact, most don't know anything about you until the 5 minutes before the interview when they quickly skim your personal statement and application for things to talk about during the interview. Second, even if they somehow did find out about your GAD, they would never let that weigh into their decision making (doing so is probably breaking a rule somewhere too).

Stop being anxious. It won't get you anywhere. You have control over yourself.

It may also be best to avoid this website where many anxiety "enablers" lurk.

Yes it will. Don't be nervous! I had this experience my freshman year. Coming from a low tier public high school and attending a top university I admit I was pretty anxious with the amount of competition I was facing. But in the end, I realized it's all about giving your best, don't fret it you'll do fine.

To Everyone - Thanks for the reassurance! While I do understand that Medical school is nothing but stress and studies, I feel like I could do it. It's just getting there that's a bit of an anxious road for me. I'm just hoping the majority of my anxiety is just due to teen angst. Who knows, future is key for improvement.

To Tired - Alright, so as long as it doesn't interfere with my work or on residency should I get there then it doesn't matter. Relieved to know that they don't keep medical records.

Guess it all comes down to stress-mangement. As long as it's possible and (is managable) then that's good enough for me to just diminish worries and just do my best as some said.

Again, thanks all! I'll try to live for now and see where that takes me.

Many med students suffer from depression and/or anxiety. I myself am obsessive-compulsive (in the good sense of way in which I'm very systematic in my clinical notes and physical exploration). Med school adcoms probably won't know about your past medical history.

People whose psychiatric diseases interfere with their performance as med students are usually simply weeded out because they can no longer take the emotional pressure of med school. Sadly med school isn't as good at weeding out arrogant jerks. I know plenty of doctors that are unfortunately alcoholics.

I'd say don't sweat the MCAT and agree that you should have some fun while you still can. :luck:

However, you don't actually have ocd or ocpd, because you are neither unaware( or in denial) nor in distress over it. Traits are good in some ways, the disorders are not.

OP, get back on your meds or into some therapy. A generalized anxiety disorder will definitely mess up your goals if not controlled.

Last edited: