Will medschool postpone reviewing your application if you do a smp/postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

won'tstop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this cycle while potentially attending smp/postbacc in the fall. My AMCAS application was just verified this morning. I know people usually update medschool with graduate grades in the fall and spring. However, I was wondering if the schools know you are taking graduate courses, are they going to push your application aside and not review it until you finish the SMP program?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just guessing, but logically I would imagine that if your app without the SMP is good enough to get in, then you'll get in no matter what, and they won't really care about waiting for the SMP grades. If you were borderline, or if they thought a stellar SMP might give you a better chance, then they might delay review of the application. This is worth it since it's a "wait and see" instead of reject. I don't think adcoms seeing that you're doing an SMP somehow reduces your chances or makes them delay a decision if you'd otherwise be accepted. Others feel free to disagree.

Reactions: 2 users