Will Medical Schools be able to see any Psychiatric Hospitalizations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoPenguinsGo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing, I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder (also called imagined ugliness or whatever, even though to me its very real). It's so bad to the point where I can't even study a lot of nights during the school year and I'm having serious trouble studying for the MCAT in August. It's hard to describe feeling so terrible that suicide is daily thing you fantasize about but that's where I'm at right now. My therapist thinks I should go to a full on in-patient Psychiatric Hospital but I'm concerned if that will block any Med School from considering my application.

Anyone know if they have access to those kinds of records? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school is the least of your concerns right now. Go get help right now. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

And no, they can't see your records:
HIPAA: Acronym that stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a US law designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients' medical records and other health information provided to health plans, doctors, hospitals and other health care providers.
Definition of HIPAA - MedicineNet
Definition of HIPAA

Reactions: 4 users
Agree 100% with above. Medical school is not something that should be on your radar. Self-care is. Get help. Delaying help because you're worried about how it will look to a medical school is the absolute wrong thing to do.

Get help now.

Reactions: 1 users
This thread has been reported by several users due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.