Medical Will I have enough clinical hours to reapply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the wall of text, am feeling especially discouraged tonight and would appreciate guidance.

Current MD applicant but planning on a reapp cycle (high stats but low hours and late app). Worried that I still will not have obtained enough "clinical" hours at my current job in time for the next cycle, so trying to decide if I'm in better shape than I feel or if I need to find a new position/plan on yet another gap year. Here's what I have:

Recently started working full-time as a clinical research assistant in a private clinic. Most of my work is administrative, but I also do some PRN medical assisting and scribing for the physicians for their normal (non-research related) office visits. Unfortunately, with my current labor division I estimate I will have obtained only ~150 hours of direct non-research related diagnostic/treatment exposure by June. I took the job because the providers are inspiring people that I enjoy working with and it lets me pay the bills (a scribe/CNA job makes that a lot harder).

I am particularly stressed about this because there was also ambiguity regarding whether my previous position could be classified as true clinical experience, so I would like further clarification on that. I worked as a patient care technician (450 hours) for an attending physician with a major physical disability. I was trained to be in the hospital with the physician to assist with manual aspects of physical exams and transcribing notes/orders, but the physician's position (and therefore mine) was changed to remote right before my first day due to the provider's high risk for COVID complications. I assisted with all aspects of the provider's daily clinical work (videoconference inpatient rounds, telemedicine outpatient appointments, patient care conferences, call weekends, didactics, etc) and also personal care duties such as catheterization, but because I never got the chance to physically work in the hospital there was debate as to whether or not this could be considered a real clinical experience.

Other than that, I have 80 hours of volunteer work in an underserved clinic and 40 hours of PCP shadowing.

Sorry again if this is TMI. I don't know what to do at this point other than keep applying for the rare MA position that doesn't require certification and pray that volunteer positions reopen at some point. I'm in a gap year right now and miserable, the thought of having to make it through another one or possibly two years of this limbo is completely overwhelming me tonight. Any feedback or guidance would be appreciated. TIA.
Don't apply in June. Apply in mid-August, and accrue some more hours.. It's a pre-med delusion that you're sunk if you don't apply in June.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice (and for past advice you have given me). I'm totally willing to do that, but the extra 2.5 months would only give me ~40 hours more of the assisting/scribing since I'm only currently scheduled to do that for 4 hours/week. :/ Do you think that's enough to justify delaying?
40 hours is 25% of your current hours as a scribe though.

Okay... let me give you one person's opinion which is not representative of any screening process at any school.

1) Clinical research assistant at a private clinic: so are you doing research with interactions with enrolling patients or collecting/analyzing data relevant to the research? This counts as research and not clinical exposure (doctor-patient relationship).

2) Patient care technician: I'd say that is definitely more in line with health care/clinical exposure since you are supervised by a physician and you observe what doctors do, including the circumstance where the physician has to adjust based on a physical disability. (The Good Doctor apparently focuses on a resident with autism as the protagonist, if you watch TV.) Virtual medical visits count in my book since you are shadowing them, and scribes nowadays are doing the same thing. If you are still doing this, I hope you can persist long enough to see if the transition back to physical clinics occurs and you can be allowed back in (following whatever protocols get implemented at your hospital/clinic) in a few months or so.

True @TheBoneDoctah. I'm also going to ask if I can scribe more hours, maybe 8h/week...it's hard to keep up my scribe skills at only 4h/wk anyways so they might think it's worthwhile for training purposes. If I'm able to get 200+ hours of scribing in by, is it reasonable to stay in my current position? Or does it still look bad to work a full time "clinical" job for 9 months yet only have 200 hours of actual clinical experience?

@Mr.Smile12 I appreciate your perspective and agree. Yes, for the research side I would mostly be reviewing charts and recruiting. I am not trying to count my research hours as clinical hours. I'm not even sure it counts as research as it's industry sponsored trials so I wouldn't be helping with publication worthy stuff like data analysis?? The only clinical hours I would think are valid are that they also hired me to scribe PRN in their clinic for normal office visits and procedures. My problem is that they already have dedicated fulltime scribes so I'm just filling gaps in their schedules, which currently is only 4h/wk. I'm no longer at the patient tech job but it's good to hear it may be looked upon favorably by some. Wish I could've stayed long enough to see the inside of the hospital.
I think you’re looking too far into this. The experience you will gain from the scribing is great and works for clinical and shadowing hours. It’s great for conversation at interviews as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.