Will I get looked down upon for these factors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUSD10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a Junior pre-med student who is majoring in Neuroscience. I am very worried about not being a competitive applicant for a number of reasons and I would like to get some opinions as to whether you guys think these things will be working against me when applying to medical school. I have spoken with some admissions advisers, and have been told several times that these will not decrease my chances of being accepted or even invited to an interview, but I am having trouble believing it.

1. Starting at community college.
Due to my financial restraints, I had to begin my education at community college. I mostly transferred general credits, and saved my upper level science courses for a University, but I did finish gen chem, anatomy, and physics (all of which I recieved a 4.0 in) at community college. That being said, I did very well in organic chemistry (4.0), and physiology (4.0) coming into my university, so I have no doubt I was given a very well rounded foundation to my education at community college. I am just worried however, that I will get looked down upon for starting there.

2. Taking 5 years to graduate.
Again, because of my financial strains, I have worked throughout college, in order to pay for my education. As a result, I have only been taking 12 credits a semester, and will take 5 years to graduate.

3. Being a white male.
I know this one sounds kind of weird, but I feel as though being a white male in a white male saturated field, I have less of a chance of standing out, especially given my above circumstances.

4. Getting medical experience at an urgent care instead of a hospital
After becoming CNA certified, I was simaltaneously offered a CNA position at a hospital, and an MA position at an urgent care. I took the urgent care position because they trained me in several other areas (injections, IV's, blood draws, intake, emergency response, etc.). It was incredible experience, and I have over 500 hours of direct work with patients and providers, but I fear it will be looked down upon for it not being in a hospital.

5. Taking a gap year
Because I did not take Organic chemistry at community college, I am not able to take Biochem until this coming fall of my senior year, and I do not want to take the MCAT without having Biochem under my belt. I also want to take the year to get more medical experience and research time.

So those are my worst application qualities that I fear. I do however, have a 3.68 GPA at my university, and I am expecting to get 4.0's in all of my classes this semester, which will be boosting it to a 3.74, I have a 3.8 science GPA overall, my community college GPA was a 3.5 (Started off rough, but had an upward trend ending with 3 perfect semesters in a row). I have traveled to Nicaragua on a medical brigade, providing medical care and sustainable fresh water resources to impoverished communities, I have been delivering for Meals on Wheels twice a month now for almost a year, and I currently have a research assistant position in a Neuroscience lab. On top of this, I am very passionate about the medical field, and I am very fascinated by the human body, with a special passion for neuro-biological foundations of behavior. I have several letters of recommendation, and I am a very extroverted and motivated individual.

I am not trying to flaunt or brag at all, and I am not trying to spread a sob story, I am simply curious if anyone can give me feedback as to whether or not I stand a chance of getting into medical school. Sorry for the long post

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I am a Junior pre-med student who is majoring in Neuroscience. I am very worried about not being a competitive applicant for a number of reasons and I would like to get some opinions as to whether you guys think these things will be working against me when applying to medical school. I have spoken with some admissions advisers, and have been told several times that these will not decrease my chances of being accepted or even invited to an interview, but I am having trouble believing it.

Due to my financial restraints, I had to begin my education at community college. I mostly transferred general credits, and saved my upper level science courses for a University, but I did finish gen chem, anatomy, and physics (all of which I recieved a 4.0 in) at community college. That being said, I did very well in organic chemistry (4.0), and physiology (4.0) coming into my university, so I have no doubt I was given a very well rounded foundation to my education at community college. I am just worried however, that I will get looked down upon for starting there.

Again, because of my financial strains, I have worked throughout college, in order to pay for my education. As a result, I have only been taking 12 credits a semester, and will take 5 years to graduate.

3. Being a white male.
I know this one sounds kind of weird, but I feel as though being a white male in a white male saturated field, I have less of a chance of standing out, especially given my above circumstances.

After becoming CNA certified, I was simaltaneously offered a CNA position at a hospital, and an MA position at an urgent care. I took the urgent care position because they trained me in several other areas (injections, IV's, blood draws, intake, emergency response, etc.). It was incredible experience, and I have over 500 hours of direct work with patients and providers, but I fear it will be looked down upon for it not being in a hospital.

5. Taking a gap year
Because I did not take Organic chemistry at community college, I am not able to take Biochem until this coming fall of my senior year, and I do not want to take the MCAT without having Biochem under my belt. I also want to take the year to get more medical experience and research time.

So those are my worst application qualities that I fear. I do however, have a 3.68 GPA at my university, and I am expecting to get 4.0's in all of my classes this semester, which will be boosting it to a 3.74, I have a 3.8 science GPA overall, my community college GPA was a 3.5 (Started off rough, but had an upward trend ending with 3 perfect semesters in a row). I have traveled to Nicaragua on a medical brigade, providing medical care and sustainable fresh water resources to impoverished communities, I have been delivering for Meals on Wheels twice a month now for almost a year, and I currently have a research assistant position in a Neuroscience lab. On top of this, I am very passionate about the medical field, and I am very fascinated by the human body, with a special passion for neuro-biological foundations of behavior. I have several letters of recommendation, and I am a very extroverted and motivated individual.

I am not trying to flaunt or brag at all, and I am not trying to spread a sob story, I am simply curious if anyone can give me feedback as to whether or not I stand a chance of getting into medical school. Sorry for the long post
You have amazing accomplishments! Just look at everything in your last paragraph. That is honestly great.
If the medical schools told you those things won't hinder you I would take their word for it, I don't see why they'd misrepresent it in any way.

None of those things will hinder you at all. Everything you have done shows that you are progressing and taking on more difficult challenges.

The only possible issue I see is that you took a few pre reqs at CC. Some medical schools won't accept CC credit for pre reqs. You'll have to check the MSAR for which schools those are.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
None of those things will hinder you at all. Everything you have done shows that you are progressing and taking on more difficult challenges.

The only possible issue I see is that you took a few pre reqs at CC. Some medical schools won't accept CC credit for pre reqs. You'll have to check the MSAR for which schools those are.

Luckily for OP, that is very few. There are a few that say they'll only accept so many cc credits (some include AP also) or discourage it. It does appear, however, that OP took upper level courses in many of the cc pre-reqs so there is that.

I have a friend who started at community college, took him >5 years to graduate college, white male, and took a gap year who will be starting medical school this year!
Finish your undergrad career strong with an upward GPA trend and ace the MCAT!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! You've managed to summon up every SDN false worry.

NONE of the concerns you raise are a problem.

You are not competing with other white males. You are competing only with you.

3. Being a white male.

5. Taking a gap year

Reactions: 8 users
Dude chill, you just described a nontrad(partially). Also, white males don't usually discriminate against other white males which in case you haven't noticed, makes up a large part of adcoms and faculty. The fallacy of minority encroachment you've created in your mind is almost laughable. Also, lighten up... instead of focusing on stuff you can't change, make a plan to do new things to make yourself stand out.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much everyone! I feel a lot better hearing this. I was expecting to get torn apart saying I should drop now. I am just a perfectionist so I keep seeing the things that aren't perfect and freaking myself out. Wish me luck!

3. Being a white male.

5. Taking a gap year

1. Some schools will care , and advise against taking pre-reqs at cc. Shouldnt be a problem at a vast majority of schools as long as it doesnt appear as though you were trying to avoid taking hard classes.
2. Most schools in all liklihood wont care.
3. No one cares, white males go to medical school all the time, in fact they are the majority of matriculants!
4. No one cares
5. No one cares as long as you do something productive in that time.

Your MCAT and app is the deciding factor, your gpa looks fine, your trend looks good, your clinical experience seems good.

1. Some schools will care , and advise against taking pre-reqs at cc. Shouldnt be a problem at a vast majority of schools as long as it doesnt appear as though you were trying to avoid taking hard classes.
2. Most schools in all liklihood wont care.
3. No one cares, white males go to medical school all the time, in fact they are the majority of matriculants!
4. No one cares
5. No one cares as long as you do something productive in that time.

Your MCAT and app is the deciding factor, your gpa looks fine, your trend looks good, your clinical experience seems good.

Cool thank you! I'll make sure to meet with advisers and study my ass off for the MCAT this summer!