Will I get in if my stats are too high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr Hufflepup

Hey Guys!! I apologize for sounding so pompous.
I have a GPA of around 3.9, and an MCAT of 519. My EC's aren't the best. I have volunteered at a hospital (Cardiac Progressive Care Unit, sterilization and processing department and as a general for a total of 180 hours- over 2 year time period), shadowed a DO (Family medicine) and an MD (anesthesiologist) for a total of 80 hours, done research at an endocrine lab and a social psychology lab for a total of 2 years. I am also a TA for orgo and taught for an organization that helped URM and economically disadvantaged students in college.
DO schools are by no means my safety (Rowan and LECOM are my top choices) but i am scared I may get rejected because they may feel that I am treating them as a safety. Any tips on what i should DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, not applying to DO school is a good start.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a GPA of around 3.9, and an MCAT of 519. My EC's aren't the best. I have volunteered at a hospital (Cardiac Progressive Care Unit, sterilization and processing department and as a general for a total of 180 hours- over 2 year time period), shadowed a DO (Family medicine) and an MD (anesthesiologist) for a total of 80 hours, done research at an endocrine lab and a social psychology lab for a total of 2 years. I am also a TA for orgo and taught for an organization that helped URM and economically disadvantaged students in college.
DO schools are by no means my safety (Rowan and LECOM are my top choices) but i am scared I may get rejected because they may feel that I am treating them as a safety. Any tips on what i should DO?

STOPPPP IT. Why are pre meds trying to get cute with it? GO MD. Build up your EC's, and you will get accepted at an MD school. There are plenty of threads of actual high performing DO students who are pissed they put themselves in the situation of going to a DO school when a little patience could have got the into MD.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply to DO schools

Reactions: 1 user
Second everything said above. You’ll thank yourself in the future. It’s not like you are a borderline student, you fall way into the accepted MD category

Dat humble brag

I've interviewed people with stats like yours, and we've never, ever discussed in Adcom meetings about "oh, this candidate won't come here...they'll go to an MD school".

You're far more likely to get rejected by Albany/Drexel class schools, as they practice resource protection. I have yet to hear of DO schools doing it. My school will gladly take you!

Your ECs are fine, but I suggest getting in more service to others.

Your state schools should be your safety, unless you are 100% tied to the Philly/NJ region....but you're U Penn caliber. So work on the self-esteem.

Reactions: 2 users
Go MD. Dont waste your time and money.

My gpa was not good and my mcat was really good but not as good as yours lol, but I did have a lot of publications, Pharma work experience, etc.

That said, I got into MD (my original home state school was my second choice got in but not going) and DO (Rowan was my top choice since I'm a south jersey resident now). I'm going to Rowan, so I'm definitely biased. You will easily get into MD and DO. Up to you where you want to go and why.

I see a lot of doom and gloom on sdn about how DO will ruin your life (I guess I'll know in 4 years time), but Rowan has a solid match list, lots of research money, and a really great support system for students (which is what I'm going to need to get through as a new mom and a physician husband). So for me it was an easy decision.

Going DO will close some doors for you (Optho, radonc, neurosurgery, derm - though supposedly someone from Rowan matched derm this year, I'm still checking that).

You'll get in to wherever you choose to apply. Like @Goro said, work on your confidence. You'll do great whatever you choose!

Nah, DO schools love higher stat applicants. I got interviews at 8/11 DO schools I was complete at despite being complete in November, and my MCAT wasn't even as good as yours (515).

And for the record, that's zero MD acceptances with my 515. My GPA wasn't nearly as good as yours, though. But still. I feel like this whole, "oh, you'll definitely get in MD" attitude just because somebody is a higher stat applicant is BS. It happens to not be true, and if you look at the reapplicant forum, there's some people on there with MCATs even higher than yours that failed to get an MD acceptance. It's not even close to being all about the numbers for MD.

Personally, with that GPA/MCAT, though... I'd only apply to your absolute favorite DO programs. No reason to apply broadly. You'll probably get interviews from every single program you apply to. I'll be very surprised if you don't.

Go MD. And for ppl who ask why, it's not the OMM. It's the nuisance of having to deal with taking 2 board examinations (COMLEX and USMLE) for Step 1 AND Step 2. It's a pain in the ...

Go MD. And for ppl who ask why, it's not the OMM. It's the nuisance of having to deal with taking 2 board examinations (COMLEX and USMLE) for Step 1 AND Step 2. It's a pain in the ...

It is the board exams plain and simple. As a family doc/sports med I’ll be using OMT, but if that’s your path you can always learn it now as an MD with the merger. I entered school before the merger was announced, but if I were to apply today then I’d do pretty much anything possible to go MD if I could.