Will I even get into post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pengdori626

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

It's my first post ever at SDN, so please kindly redirect me if I ever make mistakes. I'd be thrilled to hear from various people on this site. And I apologize in advance for the long post, I feel like I needed to provide some details to get an accurate feedback.

A little about me, I graduated from a mid-tier UC in June 2017; I switched to pre-med from chemistry -> undecided getting ready for chem engineering/music double major (although it mostly consisted of engineering courses). I decided to switch to pre-med the beginning of second year. But the same year I started to work while taking classes, and I focused more on finishing in four years rather than getting good grades. Even after graduation there were other family/finance related issues so I was just busy working. Took up a researching job plus other jobs completely unrelated to medicine, such as piano tutoring and taekwondo instructor, worked weekends, nights, etc.

My very last quarter before graduation I ended strongly with a 3.86 gpa with 22 quarter units (only 1 non-science course), but overall is 3.16. Interestingly, my science gpa is slightly higher (by 0.02) than cGPA. This probably has to do with me taking whatever G.E.'s I'm able to get a passing score by putting in as least work as possible. I'm an idiot.

Right now (FINALLY) 9 months after graduation I'm able to take a breather, start studying for MCAT which I'll take in fall. I have some volunteering experience, tons of research, but yet to find a doctor for shadowing--but I will get in on that in the near future. Since I've worked through college and barely had time to stay on campus besides during class, I never really got to know any professors that would write a good letter, although my PI from the research course, which I took as an undergrad and has hired me after graduation, will be a good one.

I've been seeing people with significantly higher gpa >3.4 trying to get into post-baccs, and I was honestly doubting myself if I can even get into post-bacc programs to begin with. I would like to know what post-bacc adcoms will make of my GPA trend and the reason behind it, and whether or not my GPA right now is competitive enough to get into a post-bacc program compared to others. I've had an immature first year, a good start to second year that just plummeted until the very last quarter before graduation. I'm already opted out from some programs because they require >3.25.
Also, MCAT first or post-bacc first? Is it really just preference? Apologies if there is a thread about it somewhere, I don't think I've been finding the right keywords for a search. Redirection would be appreciated as well.

It's been a tumultuous road but it's time for me to start paving it right. Thanks in advance for tips, suggestions, advice, anything! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Graduated from a UC on a very similar boat. I got into two post baccs with lower stats. Just shoot your shot after you take your MCAT or GRE.

Graduated from a UC on a very similar boat. I got into two post baccs with lower stats. Just shoot your shot after you take your MCAT or GRE.

That's awesome, I'm happy for you. I was leaning towards taking the MCAT first as well. Do you mind if I ask what post-bacc program you got into? Are you still in California?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome, I'm happy for you. I was leaning towards taking the MCAT first as well. Do you mind if I ask what post-bacc program you got into? Are you still in California?

I'm moving out of California, but I'm doing so willingly as I'm tired of being in such a crowded state. One program is in Boston and the other is Tennessee. Don't rush the MCAT, take it when you're ready.

I agree with @AkitaGuy about not rushing MCAT. I’m also applying for a Master’s program as my post bacc before medical school. They are geared towards helping students be competitive for medical schools. They said they accept MCAT scores but if you have not taken MCAT, they highly recommend you not to unless you’re 101% sure you’re prepared for it. They take GRE instead or DAT. So check if the post bacc program accepts GRE instead and also check if they help you prepare for MCAT

I think I would go back for chemical engineering since you already started it. Medical schools only accept like 5% of their applicants. That way if you get rejected your still an engineer and not a lab tech earning 55k a year for the rest of your life.