Will Highschool Haunt my Chances for Post-bac or SMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back in my sophomore year in high school I took Chemistry Honors, received an A and got College credit form an accredited college. All Post-Bac programs require no science courses being taken in college. I technically took those classes in high school and transferred the credits into my college. Besides that I never took a science course in college and I am trying to go to medical school for Psychiatry. My GPA should come out to a 3.3 after graduation. My GPA is very low for extenuating circumstances. What do you think is my best bet..Post Bac or a SMPs? and what are the reasons one would be better for me than the other. Also Post bac you cant have taken the MCATs but for SMPs you need an MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

If you got college credit, then it's not a high school issue. Realistically, your GPA is going to get you screened out of any program that cares whether you already have science or not.

The word "postbac" is entirely useless for you. All it means is "more undergrad after you already have a bachelors." You need to complete the prereqs and get a bunch of undergrad A's. You also might need an SMP, depending on what kind of med school(s) you're interested in.

If you have not completed the prereqs for med school, then you need more undergrad. There are plenty of ways to get the prereqs done. Your GPA will keep you out of the structured formal competitive programs like Bryn Mawr or Goucher. But you can do Berkeley Extension, Harvard Extension, UT Dallas and tons of other options. Look at the options at a school near you, before you go nuts trying to get into an expensive formal program.

SMPs are for after you're done with the prereqs. Good SMPs want an MCAT score, because you will fail in an SMP if you didn't do well in the prereqs.

Generally every grade you get, from here out, that isn't an A is a step away from med school.

Generally it's great to know what kind of medicine you're interested in, but it's foolish to fixate on just one specialty, until after the 3rd year of med school.

Best of luck to you.

If you got college credit, then it's not a high school issue. Realistically, your GPA is going to get you screened out of any program that cares whether you already have science or not.

The word "postbac" is entirely useless for you. All it means is "more undergrad after you already have a bachelors." You need to complete the prereqs and get a bunch of undergrad A's. You also might need an SMP, depending on what kind of med school(s) you're interested in.

If you have not completed the prereqs for med school, then you need more undergrad. There are plenty of ways to get the prereqs done. Your GPA will keep you out of the structured formal competitive programs like Bryn Mawr or Goucher. But you can do Berkeley Extension, Harvard Extension, UT Dallas and tons of other options. Look at the options at a school near you, before you go nuts trying to get into an expensive formal program.

SMPs are for after you're done with the prereqs. Good SMPs want an MCAT score, because you will fail in an SMP if you didn't do well in the prereqs.

Generally every grade you get, from here out, that isn't an A is a step away from med school.

Generally it's great to know what kind of medicine you're interested in, but it's foolish to fixate on just one specialty, until after the 3rd year of med school.

Best of luck to you.

I am hopefully applying to Harvard Extension hopefully. They say I may be ineligible for the diploma because of that highschool science course, but I am hoping they will overlook it since it was soo long ago. I have been looking into SMPs as well. I'm waiting to hear back from the department via email since I am out the country. You are correct and I am open to other suggestions and forms of medicine but I a pretty positive I will be following the route of Psychiatry. Kind of in my blood hahaha. Thanks for the advice =)

I am hopefully applying to Harvard Extension hopefully. They say I may be ineligible for the diploma because of that highschool science course, but I am hoping they will overlook it since it was soo long ago. I have been looking into SMPs as well. I'm waiting to hear back from the department via email since I am out the country. You are correct and I am open to other suggestions and forms of medicine but I a pretty positive I will be following the route of Psychiatry. Kind of in my blood hahaha. Thanks for the advice =)

When you say diploma, do you mean a undergrad degree from the extension school or did you mean the diploma from the Health Careers Program?

Your post is confusing as to whether or not you have a bachelor's degree. Your original post makes it sound as if you haven't graduated form high school yet? If you don't then you are not eligible for the health careers program, but I'm not sure if you can still get the diploma or not.