Will have a letter from a DO PD be an issue if applying for MD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a couple of threads regarding this, however couldn't find one pertaining primarily to general surgery. As an IMG, my school has an affiliation with a community hospital program. However, that program is DO exclusive. I planned on doing my SubI here, but was wondering how much could having a LOR from a DO PD be an issue if I'm applying for MD spots.

Just want to clarify that I'm not bashing DO physicians by any means. I'm sure the same concern would come up vice-versa.

@wingedscapula
@southernMD

Members don't see this ad.

I saw a couple of threads regarding this, however couldn't find one pertaining primarily to general surgery. As an IMG, my school has an affiliation with a community hospital program. However, that program is DO exclusive. I planned on doing my SubI here, but was wondering how much could having a LOR from a DO PD be an issue if I'm applying for MD spots.

Just want to clarify that I'm not bashing DO physicians by any means. I'm sure the same concern would come up vice-versa.

@wingedscapula
@southernMD
I think do vs MD isn't a big problem in most instances except at places super concerned with prestige, but as an img you don't have to worry about that. If he's one of the docs who will know you the best and isn't a total no name, as long as they write you a good letter it shouldn't negatively impact you. Img status will do enough to hurt you

Reactions: 2 users