will getting a high masters/SMP GPA get me in for next year?

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by prepod2016, Jul 10, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. smurfeyD

smurfeyD 2+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2015
    It is worthless by itself, not in general. If its the bridge to a medical profession then its very valuable. And I would definitely check with adcoms before leaving early. Its true that some programs may accept you only if you complete it.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. prepod2016

prepod2016

Sep 12, 2016
    Thank so much for that clarification.

I have called both admissions departments at Barry and Kent State. They both told me, if accepted, I would not have to finish the masters degree (for all of those wondering)

smurfeyD likes this.
  4. Weirdy

Weirdy

Mar 2, 2016
    You did not mention this anywhere when asking for advice. Had I known this all you would have had to do was an MCAT retake and that alone would net you some invites.

If your intention is a second shot at DO/MD programs, then don't half-ass your SMP just to jump into a DPM program as a backup in case you are not competitive enough.

EDIT: If I sound like an ashat, it is because I am genuinely confused why you would refuse to complete a graduate degree (worthless or not) that you have already paid a significant amount for. Its like buying a car and returning it to the dealer after paying 30k.

5. smurfeyD

smurfeyD 2+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Agreed. OP wants to rent the nice car for his 20 year HS reunion to show his classmates, and then return the rental right after getting approval from the classmates.

6. prepod2016

prepod2016

Sep 12, 2016
    I was recommended by several schools to enroll in a masters program due to my low grades even with the cc classes. I guess they want to see more.

I never intended to half ass anything especially this SMP. If I get into a DPM program, it would because of the SMP, even though I didn't finish. If I choose to go podiatry, there would be literally no reason for me to finish it considering I would already be admitted into a program. I hope that explained my stance to you clearly, and if not, I don't know how else to explain lol. In either case, thanks for your input (sorry if I sound too whiny or unappreciative of your feedback)

7. Weirdy

Weirdy

Mar 2, 2016
    You're fine, don't worry. Would rather you speak your mind.

If it was university level Post Bac I think you would've seen invites by now.
    They may not take CC credits seriously, even if they were all sciences.

Best of luck and keep us updated on what you decide to do.

prepod2016 likes this.
  8. GypsyHummus

GypsyHummus 5+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I agree with OP,

If OP gets into pod school in December, I would have stopped taking classes and just like chilled for 6 months. Haven't played a lot of PS4 games recently, might even give that new Zelda a try before school started.

prepod2016 likes this.