Will EMR Kill private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interesting articles...I think with that it even becomes more important to do an ACGME accredited fellowship, which would hopefully get rid of some of the abuse in the field (ie weekend worrior courses & over billing in some practices), although I am sure even pain departments at hospitals see the field as $$ making.

It should discourage senior residents from going into non-accredited programs. Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting articles...I think with that it even becomes more important to do an ACGME accredited fellowship, which would hopefully get rid of some of the abuse in the field (ie weekend worrior courses & over billing in some practices), although I am sure even pain departments at hospitals see the field as $$ making.

It should discourage senior residents from going into non-accredited programs. Any thoughts??

Sounds like a current applicant who wants to practice in a saturated area.

The problem is the "conspiracy theory". The GOVT is working with ACGME and LCME to churn out an inferior product that can be run over by less costly nurses and PA's to save the $$$. And patients will pay the price in outcomes.
Who wants to buy some gold, water, a shelter/bunker, and some MRE's?

Patients are becoming aware of this model as not the best always for them as the motivation of the employed MD is not that of the guy who has to make payroll. Service service service. The big health system will drive up the costs of all that we do and patients are aware as well. People in general like choices and are also aware of the employed MD being required to refer to specific hospital owned practices which they may not wish to see. Remember in the late 80s when we were told that managed care and covered lives model would become the standard.
Regards,

Patients are becoming aware of this model as not the best always for them as the motivation of the employed MD is not that of the guy who has to make payroll. Service service service. The big health system will drive up the costs of all that we do and patients are aware as well. People in general like choices and are also aware of the employed MD being required to refer to specific hospital owned practices which they may not wish to see. Remember in the late 80s when we were told that managed care and covered lives model would become the standard.
Regards,

this is true, the employed model failed in the 80s, but model was different. Now there are incentives and productivity...hopefully it will fail again. I didnt much enjoy being an employee.

Short answer: yes. Moreover, more recent grads don't want private practice and medical schools no longer socialize doctors to think autonomously or entrepreneurially. Read this from NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/health/02resident.html?emc=eta1

Lots of docs commented on this article in the NYTimes, talking about how medical practices are being bought out and run by businessmen and entrepreneuers with no interest in patients. And that this is eroding the quality of patient care depite the NYTimes claim that "studies" demonstrate it is a more "proficient" way to administer healthcare. Some great comments on out-of-control defensive medicine in the ER. The comments section was subsequently removed. Fortunately, I only have 5 more free articles before I have to pay for a subscription to this communist paper.