will DO orthopedics programs look at my usmle scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gentamicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

i am a DO and i want to apply to DO orthopedic residencies. however, my comlex I score is in the 47th percentile while my usmle step I score is a lot better at 236. do i stand a chance at the DO programs in orthopedics? will programs look at my usmle scores?

Members don't see this ad.

gentamicin said:
hi,

i am a DO and i want to apply to DO orthopedic residencies. however, my comlex I score is in the 47th percentile while my usmle step I score is a lot better at 236. do i stand a chance at the DO programs in orthopedics? will programs look at my usmle scores?

Programs will only look at them if you submit them. I wouldn't bother submitting your usmle b/c most don't consider it. Although your comlex is not that great you can still get a spot but you must be selective about which programs to apply to. Some programs like Grandview, Botsford, and Mount Clemens are very high on board scores and class rank so you might not want to waste your time rotating there. Please remember that your comlex scores are only one part of your application and that there are many factors that come into play to determine if you get a spot. Probably the most important factor is rotating and performing well at your audition electives. You should also consider programs who place less of an emphasis on board scores. Spend some time with the orthopods at your program and ask them about where they rotated as a student and what their experiences were. In addition ask your upper classman who have matched about their experiences. Hope this helps.

Gibby Haynes said:
Programs will only look at them if you submit them. I wouldn't bother submitting your usmle b/c most don't consider it. Although your comlex is not that great you can still get a spot but you must be selective about which programs to apply to. Some programs like Grandview, Botsford, and Mount Clemens are very high on board scores and class rank so you might not want to waste your time rotating there. Please remember that your comlex scores are only one part of your application and that there are many factors that come into play to determine if you get a spot. Probably the most important factor is rotating and performing well at your audition electives. You should also consider programs who place less of an emphasis on board scores. Spend some time with the orthopods at your program and ask them about where they rotated as a student and what their experiences were. In addition ask your upper classman who have matched about their experiences. Hope this helps.
Add Des Peres to that list of high on board scores. Kansas City is much less focused on Boards. Unfortunately, those (along with Grandview, already covered) are the only ones that I can comment on. I think that many programs will look at the USMLE but will consider the Gold standard to be the COMLEX since it gives everyone an even playing field.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guy know where i can get a list of the aoa approved residencies?

thanks for the info! what are the specific lower tier programs that are not as focused on board scores? is poh medical center in michigan one of them? how do you succeed in an audition rotation to make them want you?

I just sent you a pm.

gentamicin said:
thanks for the info! what are the specific lower tier programs that are not as focused on board scores? is poh medical center in michigan one of them? how do you succeed in an audition rotation to make them want you?

DO's can apply to MD Ortho spots correct?

Can MDs apply to a DO spot? COMLEX essential?

GITM said:
DO's can apply to MD Ortho spots correct?

Can MDs apply to a DO spot? COMLEX essential?

DOs can apply to MD spots, but it is extremely difficult (almost impossible) to take this route, but a few do every year. If I had any interest in an MD ortho residency, I'd go to MD med school to improve chances.

MDs can't apply to DO programs; I don't even think that they can take the COMLEX (even if they could, they don't know any osteo stuff, so they probably wouldn't do well/pass).