Will dermatology be in demand as it is right now in 2030?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will dermatology still be in high demand 12 years from now?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Biomajor21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question is far stretch because no one can predict the future or even see into the future lol. Ive noticed that the dermatology business is "booming" lately, but for how long? Ive read articles that are expecting more growth in the business but it only goes up to 2022. My over all career goal is to be a dermatologist and own my own medispa (with my clinic being apart of it) so i can sell my own skin care line. Still, I am becoming weary that dermatologist will/wont be needed as much as they do now. what are you all's intake on this? Side note: i know i shouldnt be thinking about this until medical school but i really like having a plan and a set agenda. For goodness sakes ive been wanting to be a dermatologist since i was 13 lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this question is far stretch because no one can predict the future or even see into the future lol. Ive noticed that the dermatology business is "booming" lately, but for how long? Ive read articles that are expecting more growth in the business but it only goes up to 2022. My over all career goal is to be a dermatologist and own my own medispa (with my clinic being apart of it) so i can sell my own skin care line. Still, I am becoming weary that dermatologist will/wont be needed as much as they do now. what are you all's intake on this? Side note: i know i shouldnt be thinking about this until medical school but i really like having a plan and a set agenda. For goodness sakes ive been wanting to be a dermatologist since i was 13 lol.

My crystal ball is cloudy

I would focus on getting into medical school, then focus on getting into residency, and then focus on being the best possible dermatologist you can be. There will always be a need for skilled physicians.

You do not need to be a dermatologist to own a medispa and sell your own skin care line. In fact, that is the smallest fraction of what dermatology is.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need to be a dermatologist to own a medispa and sell your own skin care line. In fact, that is the smallest fraction of what dermatology is.

Yes - if thats your goal, becoming a dermatologist is indeed a very bad decision. Very high likelihood you will fail along the way. If you want to be a dermatologist at this point in your life, your primary motivation should be wanting to become a physician.

Save yourself the 5-10 extra years and instead go to business school then partner with a dermatologist for the marketing of your skin care line.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know what dermatology is im saying the dream of owning a business, skin care line, AND doing something that ive always had interest in is why i picked dermatology. My dermatologist and I are really close so he let me intern for him last summer. All i wanted to know is do you think dermatology will be as successful 12 years from now than it is today.

Yes - if thats your goal, becoming a dermatologist is indeed a very bad decision. Very high likelihood you will fail along the way. If you want to be a dermatologist at this point in your life, your primary motivation should be wanting to become a physician.

Save yourself the 5-10 extra years and instead go to business school then partner with a dermatologist for the marketing of your skin care line.
You all are not reading what i said. I said dermatology AND owning my own medispa are my career goals. If i wanted to own a medispa I could just partner up with a dermatologist and call it a day.

If that's your goal then pursue it. No one will be able to answer what the outlook of medicine, let alone derm specifically, will be in 2030.

Assuming we are all still alive and possess skin in 2030, we will need good dermatologists...

Reactions: 1 user
I know what dermatology is im saying the dream of owning a business, skin care line, AND doing something that ive always had interest in is why i picked dermatology. My dermatologist and I are really close so he let me intern for him last summer. All i wanted to know is do you think dermatology will be as successful 12 years from now than it is today.

Thats fine. Just make sure you go to medical school with the primary goal of becoming a doctor. Because if you'd be miserable in all other specialties that's a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats fine. Just make sure you go to medical school with the primary goal of becoming a doctor. Because if you'd be miserable in all other specialties that's a recipe for disaster.

Of course, any speciality i will be happy to have (i actually have a top 5 list lol) but my main career goal is to be a dermatologist and there's nothing wrong with being specific when it comes to your goals.

depends on whether the Global Period will be wipe out. They are always going after 17004. Without just a few procedure codes, derm will fare no better than family