Will Deferring carms red flag me in the future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duanewade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently registered for both the NRMP and CARMS 2020 match, but I aim to rank the states > Canada, so I realize that I will need to defer Carms when rank order list is due.

However, I have two questions regarding this:

1. Hypothetically I do NOT match to the states, (and then obviously not Canada bc I deferred it), am I still able to go for Canada second iteration if I have already withdrawn from first round?
1.1: if I defer it, in the future if I choose to re-apply will that be red flagged / looked at negatively?

2. Similarly to question 1.1, I have an offer for a Canadian interview. if I withdraw from it (bc I don’t see the point of doing it if I’m going to defer 1st round Carms), will that red flag / make my application look stained in the future / for second iteration?

Members don't see this ad.

By defer do you mean that you just don't submit a rank order list? if yes, then for sure you can apply in second iteration. Idk the details of withdrawing, so I honestly would just not submit a rank order list.

1.1 i think it would just be looked at if you didn't match in round 1.

2. Maybe, that would depend on the program. For sure though if i offered someone an interview and they declined and then i saw them apply again in round 2 i wouldn't be too keen on seeing them again. but if it's a large enough program they they may not notice

Reactions: 1 user
1. You can enter Carms starting in the second round, but you will be limited to unmatched spots, and competing with IMGs for spots which will now be open to them. Some spots will have return of service requirements. See here for last year's available second match spots, you will notice that the most desirable specialties and locations are not available: https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/5drz57PbwqT_R1_1_OverviewByDiscipline_EN.pdf
1.1 I'm not 100% sure but I think that if you don't match, you can repply in the first round of CaRMS the following year. You will be flagged to be a "prior year graduate" and how programs treat that will be individual. I actually don't know if it shows you to have applied and not matched or just not applied in years prior. You should have a very good reasoning about not applying to Canada in your first year in your personal statement.

2. If you withdraw from the match at any time, CaRMS itself doesn't punish you, but individual programs will probably keep track of prior applicants and unless you have a very good reason that you withdrew the first time they may not feel inclined to interview again.

When I say a good reason, I mean a reason better than "I like the US better".

Reactions: 1 user