Will aromatic rings ever be electrophiles for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedirection

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any potential reactions for the MCAT where an aromatic ring could even serve as an electrophile?

With that said, can we just always assume it's a nucleophile

i'm not talking about an aromatic ring with a super long carbon chain with a random Br at the end. I'm simply talking about a small substituent on the ring

Members don't see this ad.

There is nucleophilic aromatic substitution. I don't believe this is on the MCAT though. If so it'll be in the passage, because it's not on the AAMC topics list. In nucleophilic aromatic substitution, you have an electron withdrawing group taking electron density from the ring and making it more electrophilic. A nucleophile attacks to give a sigma complex involving a carbanion usually. This carbanion is slightly more stabilized due to the presence of the electron withdrawing group. Then the leaving group gets kicked out to regain the aromaticity.

sn_mechanismus_gif.gif

I was under the impression that the only thing you needed to know in aromatic chem was the Huckel's Rule...

Members don't see this ad :)