will an MPH make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

My school has a program that allows me to take a couple extra classes my M2 year to get an MPH. The classes are pretty easy compared to medschool classes. Plus getting the MPH will be free. If i were to pursue this opportunity, would it make me more competitive when I apply for EM residencies? Would it make any difference?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well, most of the people I met on the interview trail did not have many additional graduate degrees. I'm sure there are some out there, but most were in the same seat I am in... graduated college, went to med school.

I wouldnt' do the MPH program if the only reason you want to do it is because you think it is a good CV "filler." The classes WILL be easy (especially compared to 2nd year), but do you really want to have to deal with the hassle of it? Yeah its free, but if your heart isn't in it (as in, you don't like public health/administratoin/epidemiology), then, why do it?

There are better ways to help out your application, but getting your MPH really isn't one of them, IMHO.
Q

I agree with Quinn, if it is for filler, forget it. However, I think an MPH in the ED is a great combination. You are on the front lines of new outbreaks! I went on an investigation of St. Louis Encephalitis when I did my MPH. The outbreak was first noticed by EPs. The same thing with an epidemic of aseptic menigitis on an investigation I got to go on when I did a public health rotation. And, with increased awareness/panic about bioterrorism, EPs would definately benefit from basic epi skills. And what about disaster medicine? The benefits are endless in my opinon. (Forget the fools who live for trauma!;), give me a good ol' fashioned outbreak that I'm immune to!)

Hi RealRuby

I agree with everyone else here. Do an MPH only if your heart is in it. I don't think it will make you much more competitve than a candidate without one. I think it will benefit you, if it is something that you are interested in and are will ing to talk about during your interview.

Besides that, I think tha an MPH can be very useful in EM. I would like to get one, I'm thinking about waiting until residency or fellowship, because I will have a better idea of what I want to glean from my education. I have an interest in international EM and disaster medicine, but who knows that could all change after 3 years of residency.

I figure that if you are going to do anything, make sure that you do it because you want to. If you don't like what you're doing it shows. I have done a couple of med school interviews and nothing turns me off more than when I ask a student about something on there CV and they don't sound interested in what they do.

Do what you like and do it well.

Hope I wasn't to harsh, but I am strongly against CV fillers

pinbor