Dental Will an autoimmune disease hinder me from becoming a healthcare professional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am quite concerned for my future, as I recently figured out I test positive for Autoantibodies while I display no symptoms. ANA's occur in Lupus and other autoimmune diseases. I test specific for Lupus. This can occur at any point in my life so I am trying to be proactive and healthy with my lifestyle. I want to pursue Dental School (waiting for the next app cycle to open) - but overall, worried. Being a dentist is my dream and I dont know what the future holds. I am currently a dental assistant , so I do make sure I do not inhale the sterilizing fumes/liquids/ etc. Right now I am working on staying hopeful and faithful. But I'd be lying If I said I'm not scared for whats to come. Any thoughts/advice?

nothing works unless you do
I asked my immunologist colleague about this and he told me "that autoantibodies can develop up to a decade before the onset of symptoms.

And as of right now, there are a LOT of treatments for lupus. In the future, there will be even more.

I've had students with lupus. Didn't stop them."

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.