Will "all these" help me ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RTist

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi....

With lots of confusion i am in queue to get rad onco residency in us.

i have completed four year of residency in rad onco in india. (after completing 5.5 years of med school and internship). there i have worked with linacs, tele cobalts, simulators and what not ! i have also done ICRTs, ILRTs, MUPITs and all Brachytherapies independently. hey, let's not forget stereotaxy...i have written dissertation on stereotactic radiosurgery..

i have also presented couple of posters and oral presentations at national conferences...have one article accepted for publication in an international journal...BUT i have NO experience in US.

now, would please any one tell me, what are my chances of getting rad onco after i get ECFMG Certificate ? and how important the score will be ? (that's the scary part :( )

please tell me whether to go for ty / prilim yr or directly go for rad onco ??

eagerly waiting for some hope....thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

In the old days a person with your experience may be very competitive since many radonc programs looked for FMGs to fill spots that go unfilled by US grads. However given the extreme competitive nature of the radonc residency in the past 6 years or so, few if any FMGs are getting into radonc residencies in the US. This is just the nature of the beast these days. Given your extensive experience, you can possibly sneak in through the backdoor by first doing some research at one of the institutions as a postdoc, then after you get to know the people and become well liked (maybe even become indispensible), they may reserve a spot for you. I know from the interviews last year one institution did this (U. Virginia). Good luck.

i think you may have a distinct advantage over other applicants since you have already completed training in india. during your residency, most people spend time studying where as you will be able to concentrate on research activities, writing papers, etc since you have the knowledge already. the thing is that you have to be able to 'package' and 'present' yourself properly to the programs that may be interested in an applicant like yourself. i would contact residency directors directly via email, telephone or letters and explain your situation. good luck.

Thanks very very much....I think, I am recharged with hopes... :)