Will a W look bad on my dental school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samimsee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been struggling in my Organic Chemistry class this semester and I was really depending on doing well on my last 2 exams. However, the COVID situation happened and all of my classes shifted online. And to prevent cheating, my orgo professor only allowed us 50 mins for a 40 question Organic chemistry exam using a lockdown browser. I didn't have enough time to complete the exam and didn't do so well. I have my final exam in 2 weeks and the last day to drop the class is next week for me. I currently have a D in the class and I don't want to fail the final also and end up with an F. Do you think a "W" will look bad on my application given the circumstances with COVID-19? This will be the only "W" on my transcript. Or take my chances to try to ace the final (which will be challenging) to end up with a low C?

My university also allows us to go with the Pass/ Fail option this semester.
So if I do end up with a C- or a D It would show up as (XP) (Extraordinary circumstances, pass).
I know most dental schools do not accept pass/fail for prerequisite classes, but do you think they would make an exception during these times?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I've been struggling in my Organic Chemistry class this semester and I was really depending on doing well on my last 2 exams. However, the COVID situation happened and all of my classes shifted online. And to prevent cheating, my orgo professor only allowed us 50 mins for a 40 question Organic chemistry exam using a lockdown browser. I didn't have enough time to complete the exam and didn't do so well. I have my final exam in 2 weeks and the last day to drop the class is next week for me. I currently have a D in the class and I don't want to fail the final also and end up with an F. Do you think a "W" will look bad on my application given the circumstances with COVID-19? This will be the only "W" on my transcript. Or take my chances to try to ace the final (which will be challenging) to end up with a low C?

My university also allows us to go with the Pass/ Fail option this semester.
So if I do end up with a C- or a D It would show up as (XP) (Extraordinary circumstances, pass).
I know most dental schools do not accept pass/fail for prerequisite classes, but do you think they would make an exception during these times?

Thanks!

W looks better than a D or an F. Even if you make a C- on it, I'd recommend re-taking the course (some schools won't even take a C-).

I would take the W. It’s better than a non passing grade. I had W’s on my transcript and didn’t get asked about it on any of my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 2 W's. Maybe 3 if you count the W getting into dental school. You'll be fine