Will a good Step 2 score offset mediocre clinical grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geek666

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions? I performed well on my Step 1's (240) but have been performing mediocre thus far in my clinical rotations (i.e. passes, couple of high passes), with very little chance of honoring in any of my future core clinical rotations. I'm currently based in New York and am aiming to apply to all Anesethesiology programs back in California. I'm debating whether studying hard and taking my step 2s early would benefit me? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think it could help, but I also think that your third year grades are very important.

If you do well on the Step I and Step II but don't do well the third year, you might appear lazy but smart. Just my $0.02.

a couple of high passes so far is not mediocre. you've only had 3-4 rotations so far, right? and who says you won't have any more high passes?

what planet are you people on? how could that be construed as lazy??

by most (human, rather than divine) standards, I'd say you are doing very well and likely have a great shot at the residency of your choice as long as your letters are good.

just relax, continue to do your best, and don't let any holier-than-thou SDN types get you down.

sophiejane said:
a couple of high passes so far is not mediocre. you've only had 3-4 rotations so far, right? and who says you won't have any more high passes?
High pass isn't the same as honors. At schools with pass, high pass, and honors, a high pass is often average.

I would think a high step 2 score could only help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. Our school has P and F and nothing in between for 3rd and 4th year. I thought High Pass was the best you could do. I stand corrected. But I still don't think that it's going to make much difference.

Why don't they just give letter grades? Everyone knows that honors=A, high pass=B, pass=C and fail=D, right?

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your honest appraisal of my situation. I guess what I was really asking though was whether or not it would behoove me to take the Step 2's early and apply with them in hand, or to apply with just my Step 1 score. I understand that clinical grades are very important in the application process and am certainly not taking my rotations lightly. However, honors is terribly difficult to achieve at my school and I have set myself a realistic goal of attaining as many high passes as possible. :)

geek666 said:
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your honest appraisal of my situation. I guess what I was really asking though was whether or not it would behoove me to take the Step 2's early and apply with them in hand, or to apply with just my Step 1 score. I understand that clinical grades are very important in the application process and am certainly not taking my rotations lightly. However, honors is terribly difficult to achieve at my school and I have set myself a realistic goal of attaining as many high passes as possible. :)

Most of us don't have much more insight than you--only you know your specific situation, what you are hoping to match in and where, etc. But in general I would think that if you feel like you can equal or better your step I score, then take step II early. Otherwise, I'd go with a few high passes and a good step I.

Thanks SophieJane, I suspected as much but I certainly appreciate hearing it from someone else. Good luck in your matching process. :thumbup:

I think you're asking if a good Step II score will make up for your clinical grades much like people feel that a good MCAT score can make up for bad grades in undergrad science courses. And I would say, no. Often a good Step II score can help ameliorate a lower Step I score, but I have never heard of it being used in the way you're suggesting. Mostly I think because performing in clinicals takes a unique set of skills that can't be tested in multiple-choice format. The best person to ask this question to is someone in the anesthesia department at your school once you have most of your clinical grades. Maybe the program director or chairman of your program. There are usually people in each department who will help you with these types of questions as they apply specifically to your specialty. As someone above mentioned, it's probably too early to be worrying about your "mediocrity" since you're only halfway through the year. Just do the best you can and learn as much as you can for not and worry about this stuff a little later when you have more information about where you actually stand.

Geek,
I was in a situation similar to you. I took Step 2 early and I feel it helped immensely. Wear you lucky Spiderman underoos and make sure you do well on it.

Good Luck.