will a DWI keep me from being accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mckensel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So like it says i just got a DWI a week ago. I am currently in my finishing up my dual degree in my undergrad in kinesiology and biology. I have a 3.4 gpa with a 3.5 gpa in sciences. I have yet to take the MCAT but i have already started studying for it to take it next year around this time. I plan as well to take a few prep classes ect.. the practice tests i have taken i have all been around the 25-27 range. So hopefully within the year ill be able to improve that score. My main question is will this lapse in judgement keep me from attaining a goal i have had sense i was a freshman in high school. I have no priors, no speeding tickets nothing. this was the first time i have been in trouble and it was a mistake. Will i still have a chance at getting in or do i just need to bite the bullet and admit i have screwed myself out of any type of Medical job. Also i dont know if this matters or not but it is not a felony in my state. If you have any insight at all on my type of situation that would be wonderful to help calm my nerves and to help me get my head back on level track to figure out what i need to do from here on out. Thanks

Mac

Members don't see this ad.

It won't stop your acceptance into schools, but it will be a big negative on the application.

It will, however, keep you from occupying the "people I respect" area of my brain.

Good luck, and grow up.

Thank you for your response, and i am sorry that the area in your brain in which titles you to respect someone degrades a person on a one time mistake in which many people in this country have made the same exact mistake i have made(including US presidents). Either way thank you for response.

Mac

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see vindication in your comparison of your own actions to those of presidents (who I generally see as some of the worst human beings to exist) and those of countless other US citizens (let's be honest here...the majority of people are stupid). Your actions were your own, and the responsibility lies with you.

Being a Constitutionalist/Libertarian means I desire the most possible freedom from tyrannical government control. I want people to be allowed to make their own decisions regarding their body, and to be allowed to do anything they see fit as long as it doesn't infringe on the lives or rights of another citizen (IE, driving drunk, or a crackhead that decides to rob a family to pay for his habit. I don't see a difference between the two).

The only way personal freedoms and liberties work is if there's personal responsibility, and what you did was endanger the lives of all other drivers on the road. Yes, it was only once, but it makes little difference. It demonstrates a shortsightedness and disregard for other people. Most people I talk to that have had a DUI have driven drunk more than 1 time, and I have a tendency to think this is probably the case with yourself. Whether it is or not matters little, though.

Sorry, friend, I just can't see someone who's willing to do something so reckless because it's...you know...probably not going to kill anyone as being worthy of respect until they demonstrate otherwise.

It's one of the most blatant disregards for the rights and lives of your fellow man that I can see, and I'm only happy you didn't kill anyone.

I don't think it should have much of an influence on where you go to school or what profession you seek because I don't consider the two very related, but I'm one of those people that sees a DUI as a valid reason to lose your license for a very long period of time. To alter what Uncle Ben always says, "with freedom of drug use comes great responsibility".

Good luck in searching for a school; I don't think your decision in the moment should eliminate all your career options, and I hope it doesn't. While I'm in favor of incredibly harsh punishments for things like this, I differ in my idea of what a proper punishment is. I truly wish you the best of luck in your interview, and hope this experience has made you grow as a human.

It will, however, keep you from occupying the "people I respect" area of my brain.

:thumbdown: You obviously have yet to make a major mistake in your life. It will be a tough lesson when you do.

OP, I'm sure you've already beat yourself up enough about your mistake. Sorry, I really don't know the answer to your question, but a call to admissions will give you all that you need to know. My gut says it will be a red flag (you are lucky it's not a felony), but your stats are good and I think if you are smart about it, you can do just fine.

I don't know what your sentence entails, but you have over a year before you apply and you have that time to prove yourself. I would look into community service and/or volunteering in some kind of role educating/helping those with DWI's, if available. Maybe the courts could help you with this. I would be honest with yourself as to all the factors that contributed to you getting behind the wheel inebriated. If you truly feel regret and are confident you will not make that same mistake again, then you need to back that up with action over the next year and a half. Find a way to make positive difference and be able to relate that in your PS, application and interview.

Good Luck to you.

Last edited:
You have no idea who I am, or what mistakes I've made. I think you should have said, "you must have known a couple close friends that were killed by drunk drivers" and yes, I have, and they said the same damn things. Everybody else does it, I thought I could drive fine, I only lived a few blocks away, I blah blah trite and meaningless excuse.

You are what you do, and if you care little enough about other people that you're willing to drive drunk, then I don't respect you.

What does it matter what "mistakes" I've made? The ******* things I've done that have caused me trouble were regarding my own life, and I live it in such a way as to consider the lives of others before I act

When you go out and drink at all, give your keys to someone else. If you don't, then I hope you get caught, because getting "home safe" will only embolden you to further disregard your fellow man.

All you seem to be considering is "they made a legal mistake", and not "they carelessly were willing to risk manslaughter to drive themselves home", and you're also not considering the entirely probable idea that this is one of several times that they've done it.

Yeah...it's a big deal....if you don't think so, then I wouldn't trust you with any more responsibility than is already allowed by this tyrannical government, and you do a disservice to people that want more freedoms.

It's not an issue of a mistaken of them not thinking far enough about their own life, it's about them not caring enough about other people to plan or think ahead. If you're stupid enough to make such a self-centered "mistake", then you get to deal with the judgement that comes with it. Such is life.

Sorry man, but a DWI is a special kind of mistake. You aren't some 18 year old kid who decides to get plastered at a friends house and try to drive home.

You are an adult who made a conscious decision to drive somewhere, have too much to drink and then get behind the wheel and become a lethal weapon. Thank goodness that you didn't hurt anyone in your state and were stopped before you hurt someone.

I couldn't give a rip about all those excuses about "one mistake" blah, blah, blah, and "even the president did it". I think you should have your license revoked and never have the privilege of driving a vehicle ever again in your lifetime. I know people permanently scarred because of someone just like YOU who made "one mistake". That's all it takes to change someone's life forever. Change it in a way they had no control over.

Will it hurt your chances? Probably not, but sorry to say, imo it should. Sorry for being brutal but I've seen what drunk driving can do and how it can alter the course of the people's lives it affects. I have ZERO tolerance for it.

You have no idea who I am, or what mistakes I've made

Nor do I care, honestly. Just not sure what's with the 'holier-than-thou' attitude? The OP asked a question and you had to throw the respect card in there? You don't know him/her either, so why would whether you respect them or not even matter? Pretty sure the OP did not come here to get attacked.

You have no idea what I'm 'considering', or my views on drinking and driving. So, let's just leave it at that, shall we? It was an admissions question, not what everyone thinks about drinking and driving. I personally know of no one who condones it.

Last edited:
There is no "holier than thou" attitude. I don't consider myself a better person than anyone else.

I don't care what they came here for. I gave an answer to his question. Like I said before, though...if you do something like that, you'll hear my opinion.

Don't like it?

Don't go to a public forum where people can post their opinions.

Such is life. Quite complaining because I posted more than a concise reply to his question. If he wanted professionalism, he could have gone to people who's job it is to answer these questions in an objective way.

It was an admissions question, not what everyone thinks about drinking and driving.

Sorry, no. It was about whether we think being caught for drinking and driving will hurt his admission chances. It goes hand in hand. This is an emotional topic that begs discussion. There is no black and white answer to this.

If he wanted to know for sure, all he had to do was apply and see what happens. None of us have any real idea one way or the other do we?

Sorry, no. It was about whether we think being caught for drinking and driving will hurt his admission chances.

True.

And, I agree that there is another discussion that can/should be had. And that it will lead to a heated discussion :rolleyes: Should physicians be allowed to practice if they have/get a DUI? :corny:

I sure don't know, but I'd have to think there have been others before him with a DUI in hand who have applied and have the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will it hurt your chances?? No... it should...but I doubt it ultimately will.

Now, will it hurt for residency?? That's a whole other question entirely...and frankly, with the current shortage (not to say it will be there in the future when you graduate) I wouldn't want ANY red flags on my file. (I don't know if your state treats it as a Traffic Offense, which mine does...in all their legislative wisdom :rolleyes:) but I would imagine that it would show up on a criminal background check, and it would suck to have that hamper your matching opportunities.

Now, you probably don't want to hear my opinion on this, but there are REAL consequences to those that choose to drink and drive, not always Legal ones...I was hit by a Drunk girl a few months ago...sitting at a stop light and she plowed into me at about 50 or so. Every day since, I have had to live with back/neck pain. I don't know if it will go away, I certainly hope it will, as I'm very early into my career. I'm lucky I wasn't hurt worse by her stupid actions, but it has cost me a great deal physically, mentally and financially...

These are things I'm sure she neglected to care about (and I'm quite sure, still doesn't care about) when she chose to get behind the wheel intoxicated...

Now, will it hurt for residency??

Good question and good point, considering the shortage!

Wow, sorry about your ordeal. It sounds like you were extremely fortunate, especially at that speed. I hope you have a full recovery.

wow guys lets keep it some what civil in here, i am just searching for answers and or feedback from people on this matter. I understand i made a mistake and trust me it is not one i am proud of nor do i expect to be treated fairly or as a equal to someone who does not have a DWI. I understand i have put myself in a lower class in some peoples eyes and in some cases such as these that i am "scum" in which doesnt deserve a chance at medical school. But i entered into college at the age of 17 finished my first degree at 19 (entered college with 21 hrs of credit) and finishing my second degree with in the next 2 years hopefully i am a dedicated student and i am hoping my academic accomplishments and research can help me stand out a little and atleast get me a in person meeting so that i can talk about my DWI and explain it. I dont expect anyone here to know what i am going through as it is a whirlwind of emotions and depression in which one finds them selves in. I will make contact with the admissions offices and figure out what to do. i just thought i could come here and get some advice. Thanks for all of those who responded on topic and with actual informative statements. Please continue with posting civil and informative post,but please no more pissing contests in this thread. thanks

Mac

Oh, quite being a whiner and take your punches.

Trust me i have taken plenty of punches on this matter and i didnt come here for more, i came here for information regarding the application process on rather or not i have a chance. If you can not answer that question then piss off, its that simple. factual answers not bro sciences answers and Libertarian beliefs on the matter. thanks.

Mac

You came to a public forum of pre-pods, pod students and a few DPM's to find factual information regarding specific school admissions processes?

Go talk to the admissions offices if you want someone to tell you how it is.

Go to a forum if you want to hear what everyone thinks about your decision.

You chose number 2. Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay, and the judgmental response to your idiocy. There will be some informative tidbits here, but as is the case with all internet forums, they will be riddled with subjective opinions and emotional responses.

Like I said before...don't like it? Go somewhere else. If you haven't figured these things out at your age, then maybe this will teach you the most valuable information you can learn regarding admissions:

CALL THE OFFICE!

Should physicians be allowed to practice if they have/get a DUI?

In the state I used to practice in, the answer to your question is no. They would have their licenses revoked until finishing a drug education course. Two strikes, and it's likely you'll never practice medicine again, anywhere.

Even if you try to switch to a new state, that record follows you.

Trust me i have taken plenty of punches on this matter and i didnt come here for more, i came here for information regarding the application process on rather or not i have a chance. If you can not answer that question then piss off, its that simple. factual answers not bro sciences answers and Libertarian beliefs on the matter. thanks.

Mac

Mac,

If you do get a chance to interview for a position at a professional school, this will be a focus for a portion of your interview.

Lose the attitude and dummy up. You made the mistake and if you can't handle this, good luck explaining this on every application you ever submit to anyone for the rest of your life. Part of the process starts now. One of us might be interviewing you in the future, and if you don't think we'll know you by your application, you are dead wrong.

I agree with what has been said in regards to where to find the info. The schools from my understanding have people who are more than welcoming to questions about admissions etc. Call them up if you want the honest truth. It is a little naive however to think that a thread like this would not turn into a heated "debate" with such a touchy subject. Honestly though I admire your courage for opening up the flood gates, hopefully you can swim because I feel as you will have to repeatedly open them in order to get to where you want to be. I once got in trouble for drug possesion as a young person, and the best lesson I learned from that is to always keep your head up. You can turn it around, just keep your head up and push on, do not give up on things you really want. Also, hire a good attorney. You would be amazed at what they can do for you.. That is if you have not already had your day in court.

Thank you all for your responses. i have made contact via email to several schools and will await for further information in the coming week. As well thank you for the insight on what to expect and what not in regards to this situation. My apologies to those of whom feel i am taking this lightly or what not. As i know i am not but i can see how over a thread it can be portrayed differently. I have a lawyer in which hopes that it can be dropped to a traffic violation due to issues in the case with entrapment. Thanks again.

Mac Felts

I have a lawyer in which hopes that it can be dropped to a traffic violation due to issues in the case with entrapment.

This.

So.... the police made you drink and get into a car and drive? Also, pretty much everyone in this thread is telling you how responsible you should be for your actions, and then you're telling them that you're trying to skirt your responsibility by the law enforcement officer making you drink and get behind a wheel? Hmmmm

This.

So.... the police made you drink and get into a car and drive? Also, pretty much everyone in this thread is telling you how responsible you should be for your actions, and then you're telling them that you're trying to skirt your responsibility by the law enforcement officer making you drink and get behind a wheel? Hmmmm
I can’t believe I am getting into this, maybe it is because I need an outlet from MCAT studying but; police officers as I’m sure everyone knows can and sometimes do have the tendency to "bully" people in various ways while making a un/necessary stop. Whether it is the use of language, body language, demeanor, or the sheer number of officers/deputies it can be very intimidating. Through personal experience I can tell you that this does happen and officers who work late nights, or holidays can take their poor attitude for their work out on innocent or not so innocent people. The problem with this is in the instance of a DWI stop, a person not so intoxicated can perform poorly in a field test or even in speech aptitude due to sheer nervousness. If you blow over the legal limit, well then you are not so innocent, but you still deserve the rights that anyone else has. Un or not so unfortunately, if any rights are over stepped, im sure everyone is aware that the court can decide to dismiss or with hold a judication based on those grounds alone. If the OP was bullied, or if he was not made clear of his rights and the officer over stepped those rights, then the court could rule to with hold a judication and in my opinion probably should. If I am a judge and have a potential Doctor in my court with a first time slip up and the law allows for a lesser sentence, I would do it. Especially after seeing others with 6 prior DWI's, who are collecting un-employment, and whose faces are far too familiar. A good lawyer would probably be able to do that for the OP. He is agreeing with my statement and though it is not the officer’s responsibility as to why the op was driving "under the influence"; it is his responsibility to conduct himself as mandated by the law. There is nothing wrong with pursuing the possibility of a lesser sentence even if he is guilty as hell. Anyone would do it and I think that a lesser sentence does not take away from the lesson to be learned. It did not for me any way. A person can learn from a mistake, and it does not always have to be before a mistake is made.

"So.... the police made you drink and get into a car and drive? Also, pretty much everyone in this thread is telling you how responsible you should be for your actions, and then you're telling them that you're trying to skirt your responsibility by the law enforcement officer making you drink and get behind a wheel? Hmmmm"

No it was because he saw me leaving a bar, in which in the state i live in. A police officer is not able to sit out in front of bars and just pull people over when he sees them leaving. As stupid as that sounds, that's what my lawyer told me. So their might be more to that law, i am not sure as i am not up to date on codes and what not of the legal system regarding where a police officer can pull you over.

Entrapment involves a law enforcement officer inducing you to commit a crime you would have otherwise not ordinarily committed.

Not sure how your attorney is going to play that one, especially considering there are no laws on record in /any/ state that disallow police officers waiting outside a bar.

He's either lying to you, or you really misunderstood how he was going to fight this case.

I can’t believe I am getting into this, maybe it is because I need an outlet from MCAT studying but; police officers as I’m sure everyone knows can and sometimes do have the tendency to "bully" people in various ways while making a un/necessary stop. Whether it is the use of language, body language, demeanor, or the sheer number of officers/deputies it can be very intimidating. Through personal experience I can tell you that this does happen and officers who work late nights, or holidays can take their poor attitude for their work out on innocent or not so innocent people. The problem with this is in the instance of a DWI stop, a person not so intoxicated can perform poorly in a field test or even in speech aptitude due to sheer nervousness. If you blow over the legal limit, well then you are not so innocent, but you still deserve the rights that anyone else has. Un or not so unfortunately, if any rights are over stepped, im sure everyone is aware that the court can decide to dismiss or with hold a judication based on those grounds alone. If the OP was bullied, or if he was not made clear of his rights and the officer over stepped those rights, then the court could rule to with hold a judication and in my opinion probably should. If I am a judge and have a potential Doctor in my court with a first time slip up and the law allows for a lesser sentence, I would do it. Especially after seeing others with 6 prior DWI's, who are collecting un-employment, and whose faces are far too familiar. A good lawyer would probably be able to do that for the OP. He is agreeing with my statement and though it is not the officer’s responsibility as to why the op was driving "under the influence"; it is his responsibility to conduct himself as mandated by the law. There is nothing wrong with pursuing the possibility of a lesser sentence even if he is guilty as hell. Anyone would do it and I think that a lesser sentence does not take away from the lesson to be learned. It did not for me any way. A person can learn from a mistake, and it does not always have to be before a mistake is made.

A) What you described is not entrapment

B) You can't just pick who and when the law applies

C) The OP drove drunk - he admitted it, so nervousness isn't being called into question

D) Even if the police officer did bully him, it does not change the law that was broken. No one knows what could have happened if the police officer didn't stop him

No it was because he saw me leaving a bar, in which in the state i live in. A police officer is not able to sit out in front of bars and just pull people over when he sees them leaving. As stupid as that sounds, that's what my lawyer told me. So their might be more to that law, i am not sure as i am not up to date on codes and what not of the legal system regarding where a police officer can pull you over.

If i had to guess, I think the key statement here is the "just pull people over when he sees them leaving." You're right, that would be illegal - he needs reasonable suspicion, and based on the fact you were drunk, I'm guessing the reasonable suspicion would be you stumbling, breaking traffic laws, or anything else that makes you appear drunk.

ya he pulled me over for careless driving because i drove through empty parking spaces towards the exit instead of driving down the rows. and i blew a .09 which is .01 above the legal limit and i know i wasnt stumbling or anything like that cause i had only had 3 beers while playing 2 games of pool after getting off work. So im not a 100% sure on how my lawyer is trying to fight this or how he is planning on getting the charges lowered or what. But he did say that in our state a cop cant pull someone over solely on the fact that they saw someone leaving a bar. That they have to have probable cause which in my case was driving through a completely empty row to get to the exit. I passed all of the field tests minus one where you have to stand on one foot and i cant due to i have had both ankles rebuilt from a motorcycle wreck back a year ago and i still dont have full balance and ROM in my ankles. But either way i broke the law and i am going to accept my punishment regardless. I knew better and because i felt fine i thought i could drive and that was a mistake that i will never make again. A lesson ill never forget and a mistake i pray that doesnt keep me from succeeding in life and following my dreams in which i have worked so hard for. Thank you all for your opinions ill take them all to heart and a reminder of what i have done. Thanks again.

Mac Felts

I would check into the laws per state further. I know for a fact that a dui or dwi in the state of ohio before licensure prevents a license from being granted to that person

I ve known more than one person in post graduate education whom screwd up and had the same offense abd because due to state law are are unable to get a license

Hey mckensel dont worry about all these negative nancys on here that are being judgemental. I am a current med student, and had one dui during my application and was able to earn two med school acceptances, so I would imagine it is the same situation for the podiatry school application process. I was able to talk to our school's medical jurisprudence professor about how this dui would effect my residency application, and in short he said that one misdemeanor dui typically does not hold one back however more than one (depending on when the infraction occurred) could actually prevent you from receiving your licensce to practice, which makes sense to me. When I got my dui I was under 21 and it was from trace amounts of alcohol in my system from a party the night before, but ever since I've always taken a cab even if I were only to have a sip of beer. Anyways back to your original question, while your infraction certainly wont help you earn your school acceptance or residency spot, it shouldnt bar you from either. Anyways good luck with your applications!

I dont think it will stop the OP from getting into schools... But it may stop him/her from getting a residency (especially since we have a residency shortage).

I had a nonviolent crime (drinking charge from high school) on my record that I was guilty of but after 7 years it can no longer be held against me. And I still got accepted, although a minor in possession is not as serious as a DWI. I got interview invites from all schools I applied to.

If your lawyer doesn't win and the schools told you that you don't have a shot at residency you could still chase your dreams but it may take 4 more years of waiting (4 + 3 years of school = 7 years (you start to look for residencies your 4th year)). That would really suck, but there are plenty of 30+ year olds in my class.

A .09 mistake sucks, but it is considered by the state as legally drunk and therefore you will have to face the consequences. Good luck to you.

p.s. I'm sure your lawyer would have brought it up if it existed in your state, but look into expungement laws in your state. Some states will remove drinking charges after 1-2 years if you do not commit another offense. I know somemone who had a public intox drinking charge expunged from their record from college.

Hey mckensel dont worry about all these negative nancys on here that are being judgemental.

Really? Judgemental? Giving someone crap for breaking the law is hardly judgemental. It's reality. I guess it would take for someone you know being permanently maimed by a drunk driver to bring out the "judgemental" in you, huh?

I have a lawyer in which hopes that it can be dropped to a traffic violation due to issues in the case with entrapment. Thanks again.

You will have to pay a lot of $$$ to that lawyer to make that miracle happen. Good luck.

Entrapment? Better check for Tinel's sign.