Will a "D" in my final semester keep me from entering med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I should be calling the school to talk things over with them.

Members don't see this ad.

JDAD said:

i doubt it, but i guess it probably depends on the school, the rest of your grades, the class, the rest of your application, etc.

^^^ this is just a guess.

If you're already accepted I wouldn't worry about it.

I also prefer the advice "It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission"

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools specifically say that you have to have at least a C in classes you take after you're accepted, especially if it is a science class
so I guess it depends on the school

nala said:
Some schools specifically say that you have to have at least a C in classes you take after you're accepted, especially if it is a science class
so I guess it depends on the school

My school had this as a requirement for matric. Better check with your people.

Damn, that sucks!!! Call your Dean and plead your case. I hope that they wouldn't take the acceptance away. Best of Luck :luck:

Depends on your school. What does your acceptance letter say? Mine specifically said that I shouldn't get anything lower than a C. Call them and talk to the Dean, especially if it's a science class.

That sucks. I'm sorry, JDAD. :( Hope it works out! :luck:

I doubt they even check after they accept you. Seriously. They've spent so much time and effort, IMO, no way they can you

Gshoe

Most schools state a requirement of maintaining good grades and that your acceptance is conditional. At the same time, you can delay sending in your final transcripts (so long as the one on file has all your prereq's). I've never heard of somebody getting dismissed due to poor final grades and they likely won't send you home once your there.

Thanks for the replies. I sent an email to the dean of admissions, so we will see.

My semester wasn't that bad, five A's and one D. The class with the D has nothing to do with my major (Biochem) but it is a science class that I was forced to take because of my biology minor. It is not relevant to anything todo with medicine.

The professor was a tool, and there is actually a petition against him right now, but he doesn't care because he is retiring after this semester.

Out of 34 initial people, 16 dropped,and 8 got D's or failed.

Personally, I don't care about my grade, I am still graduating with highest honors on saturday, I just want to make sure it doensn't mess with medical school.

My acceptance letter says "maintain high academic standards and satisfactory completion of remaining courses"

I think a 3.3 GPA in my final semster should be good enough, but we'll see.

JDAD said:
Thanks for the replies. I sent an email to the dean of admissions, so we will see.

My semester wasn't that bad, five A's and one D. The class with the D has nothing to do with my major (Biochem) but it is a science class that I was forced to take because of my biology minor. It is not relevant to anything todo with medicine.

The professor was a tool, and there is actually a petition against him right now, but he doesn't care because he is retiring after this semester.

Personally, I don't care about my grade, I am still graduating with highest honors on saturday, I just want to make sure it doensn't mess with medical school.

My acceptance letter says "maintain high academic standards and satisfactory completion of remaining courses"

When my school accepted me, they wrote "A grade less than a C requires an explanatory comment"

I had a "nothing less than a C" requirement as well, and scored a D in an Engineering Statistics class. As soon as I said the words "Engineering Statistics" they told me not to worry about it. Based on your situation, I'd say you're fine.

JDAD said:

JDAD said:

I sure hope it affects you! I'm on the UTSW waitlist! +pity+ :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Just kidding...Dallas sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Anyways, I hope you can get it straightened out dude. Good luck! :laugh: :luck: :love:

My school sent us a letter saying that we had to get "C's" or better or the committee could reconsider our applications.