Wildlife/Zoo Externships for First Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildZooVet

WildZooVet
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had good information to share about wildlife/zoo externships that would be available to students during the summer after first year. I would love to go abroad but domestic is great too.

I've seen that there are a bunch of fairly pricey international veterinary wildlife courses (ie vet adventures.) Has anyone done something like this? Do you really learn a lot or is it just a glorified safari trip?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Most places like to have vet students who are in or at least near their clinical rotations. It just depends where you go. Disney's Animal Kingdom offers an externship, but you may have to be a senior vet student (not sure though). It's a small field, so a bit of digging around and googling could help you out a lot.

I did the African vet safaris/brothers safaris trip around Port Elizabeth, South Africa this past summer and it was one of the greatest experiences I've had. It is a bit pricey but worth every penny. It is offered as an immobilization/wildlife conservation course so you do get some lectures and then you go out and get hands on experience with the local wildlife. We worked on zebras, white rhino, black rhino, lions, and cheetahs while we were there. What you do varies depending on the work that is needed while there but there is always a lot to do so you don't have to worry about sitting around not doing something. Dr. Brothers and his staff are great and it felt like a family environment. I'm trying to go back next July to do their advanced course as one of my externships for my 4th year rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
WildZooVet have you checked out our externship database on CERE or VIPER or wherever it is? There are a number of externships listed there that are at zoos/aquariums around the US. Obviously not international but it might be a good place to start.

The AAZV site also has an externship database but I think most of them are for rotating 4th years.

A lot of zoos have volunteer programs as well - I volunteered at the Bronx Zoo for a summer. I mostly cleaned cages, etc but I did get to observe some cool stuff too. They reserve their official externships (more vet time) for 4th years, but I don't see why a vet student (instead of a pre-vet) couldn't do a volunteer program. You'd at least get a foot in the door and get to connect with some zoo vets, which is important.