Wilderness Step 1 plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redrox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done some of my best studying in the tent, sitting out dust storms or snow storms, figure that I'll do the same for Step 1. Any body else doing the same?

This Friday I leave for Eastern Cali where I can camp for free in the bush, come into town for UWorld, climb for a couple hours, and hit the books back at the tent.

People at school think I'm crazy, so I was just curious if there is anybody else in the interwebs just as equally mad.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've done some of my best studying in the tent, sitting out dust storms or snow storms, figure that I'll do the same for Step 1. Any body else doing the same?

This Friday I leave for Northern Cali where I can camp for free in the bush, come into town for UWorld, climb for a couple hours, and hit the books back at the tent.

People at school think I'm crazy, so I was just curious if there is anybody else in the interwebs just as equally mad.

Thats awesome Redrox. I go to the springs down here in Austin, Texas. Nothing like studying outdoors. Man.... I WISH I had the outdoor spots like in Northern Cali to go to. Good luck

What do you eat? How would studying in a tent compare to studying in an apartment in terms of retention and being high-yield?

This Friday I leave for Northern Cali where I can camp for free in the bush, come into town for UWorld, climb for a couple hours, and hit the books back at the tent.

Now that is hardcore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, pretty cool situation! I'd definitely love to know what you plan on bringing in regards to survival/outdoor gear! :rolleyes:

What do you eat? How would studying in a tent compare to studying in an apartment in terms of retention and being high-yield?

For a week long trip I typically live on bread and cheese, carrots and unshelled pecans. My usual climbing partner swears by his five pound can of refried beans (unrefrigerated) and eggs (also unrefrigerated.) But I'll be within resupply distance, so who knows.

Totally high yield. Nothing else to do in a tent but read and with no distractions or clocks its easy to go for hours.. Climbing bums are low stress and the country's spread out enough that you can be alone if you want.

Here's a pic of my usual camp site, south of Yosemite, (I know I said Northerna Cali, my geography sucks.)

Attachments

• step 1 basecamp.JPG
    step 1 basecamp.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 81
haha that sounds pretty hardcore. I'm not planning on doing it for the boards... but next year I'm electing to do my family med rotation in Warsaw, NY so I'm planning on studying for the shelf while I'm camping in Letchworth on the weekends (not quite as hardcore as what you're doing tho :laugh:)