Wild discrepancy NBME and UWSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bilboraggins

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Would appreciate your thoughts on the matter:

Taking step 2 CK within a week. I took NBME 6 yesterday and got 75% correct but it said I massively, massively failed (~185). Just took UWSA 1 today and I got a 230. :shrug:

I'm going to take UWSA #2 soon but should I be concerned with this discrepancy and postpone my exam? or just trust the UWSA?

Members don't see this ad.

Take UWSA 2, see where you stand. The UWSA tend to be more predictive, while the NBMEs are less critical thinking and more random facts. If you score poorly or still feel uncomfortable, push it back.

Good question. I dont think this has ever been discussed repeatedly on this site, and googling this wouldn't yield any useful results. This thread will answer all of our problems once and for all.

No need to be a dick about it, the dude is probably scared (justifiably) and wants some individualized advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone. Would appreciate your thoughts on the matter:

Taking step 2 CK within a week. I took NBME 6 yesterday and got 75% correct but it said I massively, massively failed (~185). Just took UWSA 1 today and I got a 230. :shrug:

I'm going to take UWSA #2 soon but should I be concerned with this discrepancy and postpone my exam? or just trust the UWSA?

Myself and some others on here found NBME 6 particularly bad with the curving, you could take another nbme along with UWSA2 if you want to feel extra sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Myself and some others on here found NBME 6 particularly bad with the curving, you could take another nbme along with UWSA2 if you want to feel extra sure.

Ditto.

Nbme 6 -196 (taken 2 months ago)
UWSA1 - 222 (taken two days later)

I wouldn’t think much of the nbmes.

Reactions: 1 user
The NBME curves are all over the place, but you should be concerned if you failed and postponing may make sense. Feel free to PM me more details of your situation. In my own case, 242 on NBME 8 -> 281 real deal, so the curve was way off for me.